Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
"Little Gem" racer (Read 1470 times)
Reply #20 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 9:45am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Brad - nice cowl cheeks !!   Smiley  And thanks for the pic of the real plane for comparison. Right on!
Almost forgot - where do you buy that nice blue checkered tissue - or did you print it out yourself onto tisue?
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 9:10pm

Alfredo Arbe   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Taking shape and looking awesome! Smiley
keep going!

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 12:12pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Here are a couple more work in progress shots.  I have the cheek cowl fit looking pretty good. 

I'm a bit disappointed in my tail.  When I enlarged the surfaces I did not take into account how they would ultimately line up.  Now my Silver/Checker seam on the Fin and Elevator don't line up.  Oh well.

Also a shot of the plane that I am "loosely" modeling  Smiley

Lil_Gem_44.jpg (109 KB | 1 )
Lil_Gem_44.jpg
Lil_Gem_45.jpg (70 KB | 0 )
Lil_Gem_45.jpg
Lil_Gem_46.jpg (69 KB | 1 )
Lil_Gem_46.jpg

It's much easier to ride the horse in the direction its going.
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 11:53am

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Here you go Mike.  I love your term "balsa cruncher" for your cat!!!  I've had a couple of planes altered over the years by our cats  Smiley

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=22514.0

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 7:55am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

I gotta drag out my peanut plans, this is all too exciting. Now I'm going in three directions, Display Models, my plan to build a Flying Scale model over the winter and now give a try to a Peanut. Glad winter will give me a bunch of time to build and trim, have a big room downstairs that may work if I can keep my little balsa cruncher (one year old kitten) away from the plane.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 7:48am

New Builder   Offline

Quote:
I posted how I approached fitting the cowls on your thread on Hip Pocket

Hi Brad - Went looking for your Hip Pocket thread but no luck - would you post the link. Thank you in advance.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 2:41pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I've been working slow and steady, but just haven't taken any photos along the way.

Here are shots of the wings and tail surfaces covered.  I had some issues with the silver tissue.  I apply it slightly wet and during drying it pulled free in two places.  That caused the wing to warp.  I've reattached the tissue and pinned it down to dry.  It's very close to straight now.

My plan is to paint the spinner, cowls and wheel pants a matching silver.  The Fuselage will be a blue.  I have a photo of a real Little Gem that I'm using as 'inspiration' for the colors.  I don't think I will ever be able to build a plane without making my own modifications - it's just not in me.

And one shot of my wheel cut in half for use with the wheels pants.

Lil_Gem_38.jpg (107 KB | 2 )
Lil_Gem_38.jpg
Lil_Gem_39.jpg (107 KB | 2 )
Lil_Gem_39.jpg
Lil_Gem_40.jpg (97 KB | 1 )
Lil_Gem_40.jpg
Lil_Gem_41.jpg (65 KB | 1 )
Lil_Gem_41.jpg
Lil_Gem_42.jpg (88 KB | 0 )
Lil_Gem_42.jpg
Lil_Gem_43.jpg (76 KB | 1 )
Lil_Gem_43.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 5:21pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Brad, your construction method for the cheek cowls is fantastic. Thanks for the tip.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 3:08pm

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

You're welcome Brad.  I posted how I approached fitting the cowls on your thread on HipPocket.

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 1:24pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Mike - Wow!!  Thank you.  This is template 'Gold'.  I really appreciate the template.  Such a huge help.

What is the best method to fit cheek cowls to the fuselage?  I've always struggled with this.  Here are some shots of my cheek cowls in progress.  They started at 7 grams total, they are now at 4 grams, I'm hoping they come down to 2 grams once completed.

I'm also close to starting to cover the plane  Smiley 

Lil_Gem_35.jpg (94 KB | 2 )
Lil_Gem_35.jpg
Lil_Gem_36.jpg (93 KB | 0 )
Lil_Gem_36.jpg
Lil_Gem_37.jpg (63 KB | 0 )
Lil_Gem_37.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 8:14pm

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Flat piece of clear plastic will work fine - here's the paper template I made for my Shorty's Basement Little Gem.  You'll want to fit-check the template and adjust as necessary for your Mooney fuselage.

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 8:07am

New Builder   Offline

Quote:
Am I seeing that correctly? or are there more curves to it?

I think I would try some paper templates. When I thought my Ryan would be a wrap around it became a try and fit proposition before I got even close, all that before the accident.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 12:43pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Richard - you should give a peanut a try.  They are quite enjoyable to build and yes, take up much less space  Smiley

Work on the plane has been slow but steady.

Once I cut the front round former and mounted it, I realized I needed to add filler all around to taper from the circle to the fuselage.  That took some time, but turned out OK.

I also got the wing to fuselage curve installed and it will work will.  Very simple.  I also have cut a big stack of wood that will ultimately become the cheek cowls and I've laminated a stack of wood for the spinner.

It doesn't look like I need to vacuum form a canopy for this plane - instead just use a flat sheet curved around.  Am I seeing that correctly? or are there more curves to it?

Lil_Gem_25.jpg (94 KB | 1 )
Lil_Gem_25.jpg
Lil_Gem_26.jpg (90 KB | 1 )
Lil_Gem_26.jpg
Lil_Gem_27.jpg (88 KB | 0 )
Lil_Gem_27.jpg
Lil_Gem_28.jpg (117 KB | 1 )
Lil_Gem_28.jpg
Lil_Gem_29.jpg (111 KB | 1 )
Lil_Gem_29.jpg
Lil_Gem_30.jpg (90 KB | 0 )
Lil_Gem_30.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 8:16am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Peanut models are generally NOT so "easy" to flight train as larger models!  They rely on light weight and very careful/accurate building and trimming - it's that Reynolds number thing.  Peanuts with a larger wing area benefit since they're restricted in span.  Once one has the knack, they do fly as nicely as larger ones Wink.

The main advantage is the relatively smaller footprint allowing easier storage...

...and they are just NEAT!

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 4:44pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Brad - that li'l Gem looks really good  Smiley  - I may have to convert to peanut scale models myself - no more room for big models - will the Gem Racer be Free Flight Rubber Powered ?  They must fly just as well as the big models - right? - and take less time to build ...  Wink
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print