Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CABINAIRE Flight Report Oct 9 2017 (Read 89 times)
Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 8:42pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

4892    Me, "Trapper", the Cabinaire plane, and a Winding Stooge!

6322    The black on top of the flat base plate, is a  1/4"  thick black styrofoam, peel n stick, packing pad, from a window air conditioner unit.  It is really a must to put a pad like this on, for the bottom of the fuse to sit on ...

"Mandrake" and "Bloodroot" giant cyber super soldiers from the future, stand vigil, guarding and protecting the winding stooge ...

LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 8:34pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

4917    Here are the 4 large eyelet screws to hold 4 bungee cords to metal tent pegs in the ground.

4911     It is a little over-engineered, but better than under-engineered.   It is the greatest "must-have' tool for fast winding and flying these Free Flight model planes !  Smiley

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 8:29pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Bob -

4914    well, this is my homemade heavy duty Winding Stooge.  The vertical  "ears"  have tiny holes in them for the piano wire that goes through them, and the rear fuse motor peg 'tube', at the same time, to hold the plane in place while you stretch out the rubber and wind it in to the nose.

4915    This is the same design of Winding Stooge as in the diagram on page 89 of the "Rubber Powered Model Airplanes" book by Don Ross, except that I added 2 more large screw eyes for a total of 4 screw eyes to hold 4 bungee cords.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 1:11am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Great! What other hobby could give you so much return for a relatively small amount of investment! Great flying shots.  Smiley
ian

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 12:08am

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Richard, that winding stooge looks different. What does it really look like?

bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 8:40pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

AND
...  for
only the second
time
all summer, a
PERFECT LANDING
on the artificial grass "pitch" of the Cricket Wicket !!
     I flew for a very long time fro 4:00 PM  to 6:30 PM when the dew started to fall.  I finally had a good session to do a lot of experimentation.    Cool
     There were
NO
long endurance flights
   Sad    BUT, I had some of the most
entertaining flights
    Cheesy  , twisting and spiraling and diving and climbing and turning and spinning - the most thrilling flights I ever had, a joy to watch the plane just recovering, and fighting that wind from all angles with that nice dihedral, and all coming down on nice glides into the long lush grass !!

A MOST FUN DAY
of practise and trying to learn to trim the Cabinaire after repairing the broken wing.  I am resigning myself to accepting the fact, that just like a car that has been in a car accident, the Cabinaire will never be the same.  But I did have a lot of fun flights   Smiley  with it this summer, and now it is on to other models ...   Smiley
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 8:16pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I made about 30 flights testing this and testing that - trying different things.  A lot of wild and wooly flights.
      The big initial power burst brought it straight up high and fast with the powerful  3/16'" rubber motor, and the plane did a lot of very colorful swooping and sweeping and sideways flight and loop-overs ( I don't know all of the proper terms for these aerobatics), at the top of the power burst, and depending on the different launch directions according to the 8 mph wind direction.
     I got mostly 12 to 15 second flights, a few 16 sec flights,  a couple of 17 second flights and one 18 sec flight, and got the wing tabs set up to minimize the right-left pendulum swinging.  I only got a lot of porpoising still, though no where near as much as yesterday.

IP Logged

Oct 10th, 2017 at 8:04pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I did not give up !!   The next day, Mon Oct 9, 2017 there was 8 mph wind, 47% humidity, and 75 deg F, and no one in the Cricket Wicket and LONG GRASS !!!    I got a lot of better pics this time.
     I cut down the negative incidence  1/16"  block on the stab to  1/32",  made up a 2 strand 12" motor of  1/8" rubber, and put a trim tab on each wing also (in addition to tabs on the stab), to try to figure out the pendulum swing from right to left.
     The  1/8" motor was way too far
underpowered
- it would not even fly 6 seconds on 750 turns (not any where near running the rubber out).   So I put on the
big powerful
4 strands of  3/16"  rubber of 12" strands rubber
motor

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print