Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greetings from Abbotsford BC (Read 402 times)
Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 8:46am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Whatever polish you use, it has too much water in it, so you have to thin it down with isopropanol to at least 50%. And test it out on some sample pieces before using it on your real beauties. I use a product from Home Depot called Armstrong Shine Keeper.
ian

ASK.jpg (9 KB | 2 )
ASK.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 1:55am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

The floor polish I've seen used is from Johnson & Johnson Future Acrylic Floor Polish.  But I believe the Dollar Store has an Acrylic Floor Polish that would work.  the key is "Acrylic" floor polish.

I guess SC Johnson bought out the old product and supposedly this is the new bottle and name.  Pledge
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 10:59pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Welcome Mr. Weldorman (Ray)!  Have you noticed that everyone seems to give you some advice or commentary about where you live?  Sounds almost like being a first-time parent and getting advice on how to raise a child.  In this case, it's modeling.  All questions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.  Everyone is great.  Got lots of good people on this site and lots of information for just about anything you need.  Welcome to S&T and enjoy!   Skyediamonds

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 10:41pm

Alfredo Arbe   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Surprised about that floor polish as dope substitute I still have a big dope can and Im using it everyday
, I wonder wich product is exactly that polish stuff  I mean I have to ask for it in spanish to local sellers hehehe

welcome back to the best hobby in the world

Post some pics of your current build

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 3:57pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

weldorman, welcome to S&T and back into the hobby of glued fingers, minute pieces of cut tissue on the floor, and lots of encouragement from the community here. Please post photos of your build or flight progress, we love those photos.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 1:13pm

yotabota   Offline
I must age,,, but I don't
have to mature
Sooke BC

Another welcome from BC. I am also familiar with the Abbottswack and Chiliford area. I originally hale from "Haney".
Hallmark has a decent selection and quality of tissue if your going local. Our LHS has Midwest balsa and a very small amount of Guillows stuff so online is about the only way to get rubber and props.
Did you download from OZ? That is a great site for plans.
Enjoy your build and all the help you need can most likely be found here.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 7:58am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Welcome weldorman - You have just gotten yourself into the best model site around. These guys are the most knowledgeable and willing to help. Understand your issue with Michaels, the one here in Amherstburg carries balsa but sources it from Revell and feels like pine boards. Mail order is the best way.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 9:30pm

weldorman   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Thanks for the welcome.  pb_guy, One Stop Hobbies in Abbotsford has closed down, leaving me to order my balsa online.  I didn't now about Michaels since their website doesn't do them any favors in a search.  Woodsman, I think you meant to say rabid instead of avid members!  Never seen a group that follows through on every detail like Stick and Tissue.  We'll see what happens in the future as this build is nearing covering stage and I'll be looking for another challenge.  Thanks again.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 4:26pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Welcome to S&T Ray...
Great to have you aboard.  Like Bicycle riding...it all comes back quickly as you start building!

Be sure to post lots of pictures and feel free to ask any questions that come up!  Remember there are no silly questions.  I'm sure the members will give you more suggestions than you can use all at once.  But just keep them in mind and you find a way to use them later.  Once again, Welcome to S&T
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 2:38pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Welcome Weldorman. I am quite familiar with Abbotsford, since my mother-in-law and wife used to live in Aldergrove, and down on Jackman Road and other places in Abby. I know that there is only one hobby shop (one stop hobbies) on South Fraser Way that carries any model supplies, but they are mostly into R/C and trains, although they do carry balsa wood, which you can also get at the local Michaels craft store.
I do use an acrylic floor polish for a finish, but mostly due to the unavailability of dope. Some people use spray-on Krylon finish, but I haven't tried it yet.
  Welcome to the S&T site. Please post pics of your build and we will follow along with help and encouragement.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 1:23pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Welcome Ray (weldorman) to Stick and Tissue !  Lots to read and lots to learn about the site - take your time - lots of great guys here    Smiley   real
avid
enthusiasts!!!
Here is a 3 minute stop motion video on how to build a model.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGNn8k6KIt4

Good luck modeling - ask a question or give a comment anytime  - and post lots of pics - we love pics!   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Oct 12th, 2017 at 1:04pm

weldorman   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Thanks to Sky9pilot for the quick approval, and hello to you all on the Stick and Tissue forum.  It's been well over 40 years since I have completed a scratch-built model, and after reading the various columns, I realize I've got a lot to re-learn!  Glue stick for tissue and floor polish instead of good old Dope for a finish?  Well, I'm here to learn, so I currently am building a 25" Comet Piper Cub from downloaded plans, so this will give me a chance to dust off some seriously rusty skills.  Hopefully I will be able to contribute as I progress but for now, I'll be checking out other's progress and learning the new tricks of this great hobby.  Talk to you soon!
   Ray

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print