Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 42
Send Topic Print
Winter Cookup for 2017 (Read 17975 times)
Reply #605 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 7:43pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mike...Craig's right, we've all had that happen.  Be encouraged and just give yourself a day and then go back, jig up the fuselage and re-glue/replace the broken wood and give it another start. 
WELCOME TO THE CLUB OF BROKEN STRINGERS AND CROSS MEMBERS!!!

I am working on the Arado so y'all are not alone.  I've built the fuselage, still needing finishing work.  I've also built the left (port) wing panel.  Started on the right (starboard) panel, but life has a way of interfering with modelling... Cry Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy Wink Hope to finish the starboard panel and get the empennage done with pictures tomorrow...

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #604 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 5:53pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Mike- With all the planes being built in these cookups, the law of averages says at least one of us will get bitten. About 80 hours into the Schneider Trophy Cookup, I ran into a bit of a gumption trap... Someday, I'll fix it. Onward und upward!

IMG_0780.JPG (110 KB | 0 )
IMG_0780.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #603 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 3:20pm

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Here's the final outcome, not exactly what I had in mind, so will take a couple of days off and come at it again. The accident occurred by my hand and my lack of depth perception as I still have an implant in my right eye to correct a retina problem. Stuff happens and this is probably the best outcome as I thought the fuselage was too fragile anyway. Talk soon.
New Builder
Mike

Starting.jpg (73 KB | 0 )
Starting.jpg
Unconvential.jpg (96 KB | 0 )
Unconvential.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #602 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 7:48am

New Builder   Offline

Greetings All - And thanks to all for the input on the fuselage sides. I think I'll start from the nose and work back from there and if it fails I will rebuild and try again. I'm thinking I may have diluted my white glue a bit too much so will begin today, we'll see. I'll post results regardless of the outcome. I'm also stopping by one of our multi-purpose stores to see if I can find some 1-2-3 blocks since they are steel and I use a mag board the combo of blocks held by my ceramic magnets will hold it in place for sure. Anyway, results soon and thanks again for all the help.
New Builder
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #601 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:10pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Beautiful job...I'm reminded of Scottie's words on the Star Trek movie..."...Ample nacelles, if you know what I mean!" Roll Eyes Cheesy Wink

IP Logged

Reply #600 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:22pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Got the blue on both nacelles.  I wanted the transition between the blue and white tissue to mimic sprayed paint, so I used a needle file to tear the edge of the tissue on the transition side rather than cutting the tissue with a knife or scissors.  I like how it came out - I'll file this away for future use.

Those nacelles look long!

IP Logged

Reply #599 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:28pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Great start on the Mr. Mulligan Mike! I was starting to feel like the last guy at the party...good to have some company.

Yesterday I made some sheet fairings for the upper wing-nacelle joint, and today I'm slogging through covering the nacelles.  The white on the underside went pretty well - I'm kinda dreading the blue because the tissue I'm using has the wet strength of budget toilet paper.  Wish me luck!

IP Logged

Reply #598 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 1:22pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Good stuff Terry....and there's the sockets!!!! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #597 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 1:17pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

New Builder wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 8:48am:
... Now on to the more difficult task, putting together the fuselage sides. This model accomplishes the nose shape by bending the frame in a very tight curve. This must have been one the more difficult builds for the kids then. Glad I used some 16th A grain for the sides, bends nicely but the white glue joints keep coming apart. I really dislike double gluing so may return to CA or Duco thinned with acetone. Any thoughts?

One method to more easily curve the nose section of the sides is to start joining them at the nose former first, at the correct angle, and wait for the glue to dry thoroughly.  Then work ones way back to the tail a former at a time.  This goes against conventional wisdom of starting at the tail or center but has worked well for me.  I always hated starting from the tale, working forward to have a darn longeron break when making the final bend in to the nose.

Terry

img_5407_1_.jpg (136 KB | 0 )
img_5407_1_.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #596 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 11:31am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Neal's advice is great and I highly agree with the wetting of the balsa and pinning it to the board to dry....but if you've made the side already, as Neal has said about making your own top view, do this but then wet the sides and just use right angle triangles (or something to keep the sides vertical and then gently bend to shape over your own top view and let this dry before adding cross members.  It's harder to do but will work for you.  One of the members uses tall sockets from a socket wrench set to hold things vertical.  I've made several 90 degree angles from balsa and craft sticks (look like tongue depressors) and I believe Bigrip bought some triangles that are laser cut in ply from Bob Holman plans Click Here .  These can be pinned to the building board to keep things in place while drying and for the glue to set.
Here's a pic of my Chambermaid using the triangles.
Tom
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2018 at 12:42pm by Sky9pilot »  

fuseboxconst_001.jpg (107 KB | 0 )
fuseboxconst_001.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #595 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 11:17am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

New Builder, I would crack the longerons at former 2 and reglue them so that they are run straight to former 1. Use small gussets to strengthen the joint. This is common practice with these kits.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #594 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 10:36am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

The short radius turns near the fuselage nose can be a real challenge....  I can tell you from personal experience in my youth...using that old tube of Ambroid glue was at times very frustrating...that is...getting things setup for the glue to cure.  For that reason...I think CA is a godsend! especially with a little squirt of accelerator.  One way to deal with that short-run bend...is to actually soak one end of a fuselage box longeron and pin it to a top view to dry over night.  In your case...that's too late.  The other option is to "crack" the fuselage sides when you get to that forward station...not perfect by any means...but it'll get you there.  You're correct...kids way back when were gnashing their teeth at the apparent impossibilities that were called for.  I remember throwing it across the room...then picking it up and going back to "work." Grin Grin  Sometimes...it actually helped (my soul at least). Wink

What Rick said about top views...if there is no top view...you can always draw one using a centerline, right angle (triangle) and the various fuselage formers as dimensions.  You're only trying to get an approximate bend in that longeron.  Soak it, pin it...let it dry...it'll be ok.  BUT...as I said, too late...do it for your next problem build. Wink

It's really funny...I love working with CA...but having run out of it lately...and being too lazy to stop at the store...I've recently returned to using white glue...and found that I LOVE IT...again!  Did Elmer's exist when I was a kid(don't think so)?  Can't remember...but if it did, I should have never bothered with Ambroid.  White glue is strong, sandable...and most important, economical.

Don't despair over the seeming flimsiness of Mr. Mulligan...just means that with patience, you'll have a lightweight model...and possibly a good flyer.  Use care when you cover it.  Warps are your BIG ENEMY.Smiley

Neal
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2018 at 11:56am by Kerak »  
IP Logged

Reply #593 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 9:27am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Looking good Mike!   Smiley  Yeah - gluing the fuse sides together is the hard part - especially if there is no top view on the plan.  A lot of kits today insert a small acute angle equilateral triangle balsa support piece, at the bottom and top between the two fuse sides, where they attach at the rear, to help get the rear fuse uprights together, then add the bottom crossmembers as you go.  Nice job on all of those gussets - must have been pretty flimsy without the gussets.
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #592 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 8:48am

New Builder   Offline

Kerak - Thanks for the good words. The Mulligan has always been one of my favorite race planes and white tissue is definitely the order of the day. Now on to the more difficult task, putting together the fuselage sides. This model accomplishes the nose shape by bending the frame in a very tight curve. This must have been one the more difficult builds for the kids then. Glad I used some 16th A grain for the sides, bends nicely but the white glue joints keep coming apart. I really dislike double gluing so may return to CA or Duco thinned with acetone. Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Reply #591 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:46pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Looks really good, Mike...and this time, white tissue will really be in order! Smiley  Great historical airplane.

Neal

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 42
Send Topic Print