Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AIR CAMPER Flight Report Nov 8 2017 (Read 108 times)
Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 9:30am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

These are pics of William (Bill) Lieb's metal sculpture "LETTING GO:   A NEW REALITY", which is found in the city of Spencer, Iowa, USA

The sculpture features a child releasing a homemade rubber band powered airplane, from Lieb's series of oversized, abstracted figurative sculptures depicting children lost in the exuberance of play.
      Standing 14 feet high, and occupying a 5 x 5 space, Letting Go is constructed of   1/2"   thick laser-cut steel plates welded together and powder coated white with black sketch lines. The airplane wings and tail are one-eighth-inch thick steel plates. The airplane has a red aluminum pinwheel propeller as does the child's cap. Both propellers will spin in a breeze, depending on its speed and direction. Bearings and shafts for the pinwheels are bicycle front wheel/bearing/shaft assemblies for long life.
http://www.spencerdailyreporter.com/story/1580037.html
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 10:22am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

There is something mesmerizing and spiritual, about the elegant , graceful, and entrancing flight of a rubber powered, Free Flight, stick and tissue, balsa model airplane.  A truly delightful experience - rewarding, gratifying, and satisfying ...
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 10:20am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

So I packed things up and went home.  I looked at the weater on the web at 1:20 PM and it was 45 deg F (feels like 43 deg F), wind still 4 mph from the West gusting to 6 mph, and still humidity of 53%.
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 10:19am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Afterwards the rubber started getting colder and colder and lost its strength, and the flights really started diminshing, just like Pete (Staubkord) said it would.  I could tell the rubber losing its springiness while winding.  I even tried changing  the motor for an even bigger motor  I had also made  - two strands of 16" , but it too had lost its strength due to the cold. 
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 10:17am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

The little "Gypsy", bravely and valiantly, and unhesitatingly, spun out into the dense air on a perfect angle launch.   I was hoping for at least 30 seconds as the air was cooling off the rubber fast.    Lo and Behold!!!!    I got 2 perfect high circles going left - on a   
52 SECOND FLIGHT
   in the brilliant peaking fall colors on a cloudless day -  and I got 17 good pics - it was very gratifying to say the least.  I must say, that I found myself running towards it and under it, and taking pics the whole flight
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 10:14am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

The pressure was on, as I said it should fly.  I knew the rubber would get cold and weak pretty quick, so I went almost all out with 1050 winds on the new motor on the first try, with those two young parks workers watching and filming me -  and launched it.   
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 10:13am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Back to Wed Nov 8,2017.  I knew I had to get out there right away!!  It is NEVER only 4 mph wind!!   So I quickly loaded up the backpack with the stooge etc, bundled up, and grabbed the Air camper and the dog and headed out to the Cricket Wicket to see what we could do.  At the park, I had two young parks guys, who were picking up fallen dead tree branches with an ATV, who came over to see what was going on, and they were watching and filming me stretch wind the Air Camper in the stooge. 
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Nov 10th, 2017 at 10:12am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I went flying two days ago, on Wed Nov 8, 2017 with the  18"  Aircamper !!  It was a beautiful sunny day with the fall leaves color at their peak!  I had made a brand new motor with two 13" strands of 1/8" rubber, lubed and stretched (prop hook to rear motor peg is 6.5").   At 12:10 PM it was 41 deg F (feels like 37 deg F), wind 4 mph from the West gusting  to 7 mph, only 52% humidity and no tissue wrinkling. The last day before the big temperature drop .   And drop it did - this morning on Fri Nov 10, 2017 the temp was 21 deg F.
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print