Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hinges for balsa and tissue planes... (Read 144 times)
Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 1:45am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I should clarify the horizontal stab with an enlarged slot.  You would glue either the leading edge or the trailing edge and shim the front or rear of the stab to get the desired results.  Dissolving the glue would only be necessary if the shimming needed to be done in the opposite direction of the glued area of the stab. 

Sorry if this is more confusing.  Major adjustments usually occur if the incidence between the main wing(s...if bipe) and the horizontal stab were not set adequately in the build process.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 6:44pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi KCOLE 1.  Here is my idea, but I am no pro.  I had tried two really thin wires on each of the elevators and rudder in order to bend the
whole
control surface to trim the smaller models ( less than 24 " wingspan ).  I found it was
way too touchy
to make the ever so slight bends needed - it ended up going too far the other way !! - just like Howard Littman said it  would do.  So now I just use a small rectangular piece
TAB
of 0.010" thick file folder cardboard, as Howard suggested, about  1/2" X  3/4" or so, with the grain running lengthwise, and I use Scotch Tape to tape one half of the length of this tab onto the stab or rudder, leaving the other half of the length of the tab to easily bend up or down.  This cardboard  seems to hold its shape to where you bend it to, and there is no dissolving and reglueing to do, and the Scotch Tape does not seem to rip the tissue off when removed.  I am just a novice and I have not  tried Gurney flaps and the other techniques yet.  I need to rent a gym because the weather is always too windy to do a lot of experimenting, that's for sure.   How do you do it KCOKE ?   And anyone else ?
6841   Small file folder cardboard tabs on the elevators of my 18" Air Camper
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 3:32pm

KCOLE1   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Raleigh NC

Yes sir...you are correct.  30 years of R/C background.  Thank you for your reply and advice.  I really didnt want to "warp" the control surfaces to achieve the proper trim,  but I can see where a rough landing with a movable hinge is a problem for keeping a model in constant trim.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 3:00pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Ken,
Sounds like you're coming from an rc background?  We don't always have hinges on rubber powered Free Flight (Always Capitalized) models.  But when they are used there are a couple of types used. 

1. The twist ties found in the produce department of the super market.  Strip the plastic and cut to appropriate lengths for the hinges you need. 

2. Some use strips of aluminum cut from soda cans.

Frequently modelers will leave the horizontal stab slot over sized a bit so the front or rear can be anchored with a drop of glue that can be desolved with some acetone in a "Q-tip" so that it can be shimmed with balsa slivers to change the incidence.  Once the desired setting is achieved it is glued in place.

Another trim device is Gurney strips 1/16" sq added at the trailing edge of the horizontal or vertical stabs top or bottom depending on the desired trim.  Usually starting at 1" and then trimmed in length to effect the desired change in trim by cutting off or adding to the length.

That's a thumbnail of quick trimming techniques.  Any other hinge ideas out there modelers?
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Nov 29th, 2017 at 2:45pm

KCOLE1   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Raleigh NC

What are you guys using for hinges on your planes that are stiff enough to hold their position but pliable enough to bend for trimming your model?  Working on WW1 stuff and I want to keep it as scale as possible without ugly modifications.  Thanks.........Ken

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print