Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AIR CAMPER FLIGHT REPORT DEC 3 2017 (Read 64 times)
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:33pm

yotabota   Offline
I must age,,, but I don't
have to mature
Sooke BC

I'm not sure who's having more fun here, you flying or us watching. Some of the pictures are like playing "Where's Waldo" searching for the plane amongst the trees. Glad you fixed her after the broken jaw, you're being paid back many times over.Smiley
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:35pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

18 " AIR CAMPER FLIGHT REPORT DEC 3 2017

I actually took 39 pictures, and again did a lot of running around trying to get in position to take a pic.  The digital camera takes a couple of seconds to "acquire" an image, so I missed the exact moment several times.  When the rubber ran out of the rubber motor, the Gypsy would glide in a right hand circle the other way,  and sort of going straight out (no turning left),   leaving many long walks to retrieve the plane. 
     There
IS
something to said about the "Rule" that the length of rubber motors  are supposed to be   1 1/2   times the length of the prop hook to rear motor peg distance.  It does seem to fly a lot better with that length.   And no bunching up of  larger rubber knots.
      Well, who knows when the next nice day comes for flying - the wind and the coming winter may swoop in any time now ... at least I gave it the ol' College effort ...  and the little Gypsy is still intact!  Maybe today will be the last time ...
LWM
Richard

Any one remember the Don Rickles Comedy Show on TV?  This was his introductory theme song playing in the background every time he walked on stage:

"La VIRGEN de la MACARENAS"
by Bernardo Bautista Monterdi 
1 - played by the Canadian Brass Band https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=MACARENAS+CANADIAN+BRASS&&view=detail&mid=1...

2 - played by the bigsqueeze band
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=La+VIRGIN+DE+LA+MACARENAS+ACCORDION&&view=d...

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:24pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I started out with a 1/8" rubber motor, two strands each strand 10" long.  It was not powerful enough to power out the plane on initial power burst.  The  1/8" rubber did not work well and I broke that rubber after 2 flights.  Then I put on a  3/16" rubber motor two strands of 10 inches (hook to peg is 6.5"),  and this one worked perfectly with 495 winds.  It was able to power out and up, cirling left nice and high.   I got 15 to 25 second flights.   I must have made about 40 flights today - the most ever !!    I had tied up about 6 motors ahead of time - different lengths and sizes - don't know why I never did that before ... and I did not even stretch and lube them to break them in - too much trouble for just playing around.
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:21pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Flew again today!  Hope I am not boring you ... LOL   After farting around on the web, I looked at the weather network - 4 MPH wind again - so I started tying up motors and fixed up the Air Camper's fuse with scotch tape.  Left the apartment at  1:30 pm  52 deg F (feels like 50), winds now 6 mph from West gusting to 9 mph, 47% humidity, and almost solid sun with just a few wisps of cirrus stratus.  When I got home after flying at 3:30 pm the wind had increased to 9 mph South and gusting to 14 mph, and was becoming too much for the little Gypsy.
lwm
rICHARD

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print