Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Comet Kit A4 1936 Farman Stratoplane (Read 464 times)
Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 11:36am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Snow's on the ground, Ol' Man Winter is here...flying season is temporarily suspended.  Been this way for the past 5 billion years...or there-abouts.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 8:14pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Good looking Statosphere plane Neil!   Smiley   Are you going to put a few winds into it and launch it towards the stratosphere?  With that pressurized cabin of course ...  Shocked
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:01pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks, Tom!

Marlin, I've done undercamber wings before, but never a non-covered underside.  I just decided that among the changes I would make for my own peace of mind...a flat underside would be much easier...and more to scale.

I changed the leading edge from 1/16" to 3/32" on edge and the trailing edge from 1/16" to 1/16x1/8 so that I could sand those scallops into the wood.  Just wrapped some medium grit around an Xacto handle and sanded away.

The whole scallop thing had me scratching my head...I can understand the use of wire trailing edges way back when...but I'd imagined that by the 1930's they'd have been pretty much discontinued.  But there's Farman with scalloped trailing edges.  I wonder still if they were indicative of the continued use of wire trailing edges or just for aesthetics?

Also interesting to me was that the French were experimenting with a pressurized cockpit, while everyone else was concentrating on pressure suits and oxygen systems.  Meanwhile, next door...the Germans were soon way ahead of everyone in the pursuit of high altitude flight...using indeed...a pressurized cockpit.  Then...only a decade later...the B-29 really advanced the mark.

Thanks for your comments.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 11:59am

strat-o   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Interesting model!  Looks like the original had a flat-bottomed wing but Comet modeled it with undercamber for some reason.  I like your rendition better.

One question: are the scallops on your trailing edges achieved by sanding?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 11:09am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Outstanding job!!! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:54am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Comet Kit A4 1936 Farman Stratoplane (Farman F.1000)...here are the sum-total of photos of my build for the Winter 2017-18 cook-up.  Model has a 16"ws.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print