Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savoia S13 Schneider Trophy Winner 1919 (Read 354 times)
Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 10:43pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Neal,
Love the picture!!!  Does add life to the scene!!!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 4:31pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

A final pic from my cookup build...colorized just a little by myself.  Kind of reflects the wonder of flight way back in the beginning....

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 2:43pm

stoney   Offline

I Love Biplanes
Danville. IN USA

Gads but that is a cool build. Love to see some flight shots. Been musing over a Walrus.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 9:59pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Neal,

Just today I saw some pictures on Facebook of a very similar model being stooge-wound at an eastern European contest.  Link here:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=827482727431775&set=pcb.1800763556622155...  There is another picture of the setup if you click the right arrow.

Looks like that builder made a blocking stooge to restrain the upper and lower wings while winding.

Neat model!

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 10:58am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Ian...I tried to use hard balsa for the struts...sanded to shape...thinned to the point that its hardness didn't make any difference anyway. Smiley  Actually, I was quite surprised with the steadiness and strength of the final structure...most of which comes from that center engine support "tower." This is one of those peanut model that is a bit deceptive in size...large for a peanut...actual ac had relatively short wingspan.

Mike and Rick...the only "stooge" used on the model is the one holding it and winding at the same time.  Reason...I'm just a bit leery of that motor stick (which is removable for display).  I could have built in an aluminum tube peg for a winding stooge...but I was a bit afraid that stretching out the motor might put undo stress on the strut-structure...like rip the entire top wing off in the process!  So...as it is, even while I hand wind the motor...I'm eye-balling that motor stick (which is hard balsa), watching and waiting for it to start bending.  Hasn't exploded yet...but....  What I actually envisioned was for a two-legged stooge to hold the model by the engine...while a winder unhooked and stretched out the model in front (note the motor hooks).  And Rick...is the first model I've ever made that uses a motor stick...a technique that has been around forever...just not for me. Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 10:01pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Nice "start to finish" Neil  Smiley - only in plans that I have, have I actually seen the extended rubber motor mount in the diagrams - never on a model until now - very ingenious!! Smiley Smiley. Tremendous job!
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 4:59pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Now that is very cool!  I'm trying to think how that would go in the stooge...

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 3:28pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Looks good Neal! Did you use hard balsa for the interplane motor mount struts or bamboo?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 1:43pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

and finally....

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 1:42pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

and more...

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 1:41pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

more...

IP Logged

Dec 13th, 2017 at 1:39pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

This is a composite of my entry in the 2016-17 Schneider Trophy Cookup...a Savoia S13...winner of the 1919 Schneider Trophy Cup.  Ws is of course...13"...a peanut.

Neal

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print