Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Send Topic Print
ALBATROSS D5 DUMAS 18" KIT #232 SCALE 1:20 FF (Read 18601 times)
Reply #182 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 3:53pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

ALBATROSS D5  -  DUMAS 18" KIT #232 SCALE 1:20 RUBBER POWERED FREE FLIGHT

BENDING THE LANDING GEAR WIRE

7781     I have no Tube Bender, so I had to do it the old fashioned way.    I scotch-taped a copy of the plan landing gear wire to a    6 1/2"   X   3 1/2"   X   3/4"   block of wood.    Got some nails and a  5/64"  drill bit to make sturdy tight press fit holes for the nails, to bend the  1/32"   landing gear (LG) wire around.   Started all of the holes with an awl.

7786     Here all of the nails have been hammered in place, and the wood block is blocked up securely.  I made a little circle, with needle nosed pliers, at one end of the LG wire, to wrap around the nail in the center for a starting point.  I clamped the vise grips on the other end of the   1/32"   piano wire and started to bend the wire by pulling out hard with the vise-grips, and flat to the setup block and bending around the nail as per the pattern.

7787     Had to switch positions.  After each bend, I pulled off the wire and compared its shape on top of another photocopy, in order to make tiny bend corrections with a pair of heavy duty needle nose pliers.

7788     Here I have replaced the wire back in the jig,  and I am bending the last two bends.  You really have to pull
HARD
on those vise grips to get a tight bend, and a flat overall wire.

7789     Here is the wire removed from the jig and compared to the spare photocopy.  Looks pretty close.

7790      Looks REALLY  close.  Next is thread wrapping the wire axle to this component.

LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #181 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 2:56pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the compliment on my Pilot, Jeff.   Smiley  I just can't seem to build a WW1 plane without a scale pilot now.    Lips Sealed    Thanks for the google search tip - just type in  "RISE OF FLIGHT ALBATROSS D3",  click images, or click videos, and you are in.   Those screen shot images I got, are from a paused frame of a video, that I snipped a pic out of, using the "Snipping Tool".
      It must be the most fulfilling job in the world, if you are a graphics art designer, and a gamer, and a WW1 buff, to do all of the research on these planes, and bring them to ultra realistic life, and incorporate it into a World War I combat flight simulation video game.   Cheesy Grin   
They are SOOOO real
.   Smiley
     By the way, does anyone know what that little spinning wind anemometer is for, on the right wing V-strut in the attached pic ?   For pressurizing a fuel pump or oil pump?  Or for Air Pressure?
Video  -   
Albatross DIII demo flight
in "Rise Of Flight" - here 
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=RISE+OF+FLIGHT+ALBATROSS+D3&&view=detail&mi...
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #180 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 11:19am

Yardman Jeff   Offline
I feel like a kid again
SW corner of upstate NY

That's a good looking pilot  Cool
Like those screen shots too.

IP Logged

Reply #179 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 7:42pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

ALBATROSS D5  -  DUMAS 18" KIT #232 SCALE 1:20 RUBBER POWERED FREE FLIGHT
     Hi Mike.  Still working on the models within the model. 
I learned the hard way
,  with my last 3 pilots,  that I added 
"after the fact"
  -  they would 
NOT FIT
  through the cockpit covering, and I had to razor saw their shoulders narrower to get them in, which caused a whole lot of other problems.  I have the wings and empennage framed up, wheels done, prop done, pilot is now done with one more coat of paint and a few touch ups.  There is no need to try to paint eyes and nostrils etc because it is too small, and the shadows take care of that. Believe me, when I paint that pilot, I have 3 different big size blocks of balsa for my "shaky hand" supports, in order to do that fine painting.   The painting part is actually easy - the hard part was gluing the flimsy thin pilot halves together, and figuring out, and actually testing, the paint scheme colors.   So by finishing the pilot off first, I can then build the fuse, and figure out the pilot height, and attachment method, and location, before I glue on the cockpit covering, and then go on to paper the fuse.   Gotta bend up the landing gear wire which is also sandwiched, before building the fuse - I don't have a wire bender, so I will do it the old fashioned way  -  plus the landing gear wires need solder or thread wrapping.  Then there is the machine gun detailing and engine detailing, models within the model, to finish FIRST, before building the fuse frame, in order for test fitting and making adjustments ahead of time to the fuse frame.   So,  a LONG WAY TO GO, but it is coming along.  I know I am a slow builder  -  it took me 4 months each to build my last 3 models - and on each one I got drawn in, on building in some level of detailing ... I hope it pays off in the end.
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #178 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 7:06am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Rick - Your hand is way more steady than mine. Looking forward to seeing this guy in your plane. BTW - how's the plane coming along?
New Builder
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #177 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 7:39pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

ALBATROSS D5 PILOT

First coat of paint - seven colors.

LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #176 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 7:13am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Richard,

What you are seeing is the aluminum tubing I used as a bushing for the power plate.  Take a look at the series of photos I posted yesterday in the cookup thread and you can see all the parts and how they come together.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #175 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:48pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Oh no!!! Another picture???? Roll Eyes Shocked Grin Cheesy

Looks like two possible options:
1. Because Mkelly used wood for the drive/power plate and drive pin he need a hard surface on each side of the wood so it wouldn't be deformed or worn down.  I'm guessing another brass washer. 
2. In the pencil drawing looks like a possible glass bead which a lot of the old timers used instead of brass washers.
That's my guesses!
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2018 at 11:53am by Sky9pilot »  

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #174 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:42pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Pretty much clears all things up - very good diagrams. 
     But what is this?
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #173 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:10pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Richard,

No need for washers either side of the prop - there is never any tension on it.  All the rubber tension load is carried by the power plate, which is why Mike M put the ball bearing race between the power plate and the thrust button. 

Hope this clears things up.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #172 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 8:45pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Shouldn't  the "
BRASS TUBE BUSHING
" sleeve of the propeller, be extended further back from the back edge of the prop,  to the "
PROP SPACER WASHER
" that is soldered to the prop shaft, like you had it in your pic "FREE WHEELING BEHIND PROP 003" ?  Should there be a couple of small spinning washers at that point?
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #171 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 7:57pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mike,
I had to re-read your post several times to put it all together in my head!!!   Roll Eyes Shocked Sad Embarrassed
I see what your saying and I agree with you.  So back to the drawing board...

Edit: Final Drawing I hope! But we've got to get it right! Wink Grin Cool
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #170 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 6:52pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Tom,

The drawing looks good.  The only suggestion I have is to move the drive pin closer to the drive shaft - it needs to be inside the radius of the clutch dog pivot point so the clutch dog can pass over the pin when freewheeling.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #169 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 6:24pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well it turns out that in Mike's Scout pictures on HPA he show a second washer soldered to the prop shaft for the prop to rest on so it won't bind on the Clutch Dog. 

Soooo...here's another revised drawing.  I actually think I can build one of these now for the Walfisch I'm going to build with the very shallow spinner. 

Here's the latest and I think final drawing.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #168 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 3:50pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well Richard...after reading Mike's response on the drawing on HPA  I stand corrected.  The bushing on the prop should stick out beyond the rear prop plate to keep it from binding on the Clutch Dog.  You were way ahead in your thinking than I was.  I've corrected the drawing to meet that requirement.
Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Send Topic Print