Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Send Topic Print
ALBATROSS D5 DUMAS 18" KIT #232 SCALE 1:20 FF (Read 5319 times)
Reply #169 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 6:24pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well it turns out that in Mike's Scout pictures on HPA he show a second washer soldered to the prop shaft for the prop to rest on so it won't bind on the Clutch Dog. 

Soooo...here's another revised drawing.  I actually think I can build one of these now for the Walfisch I'm going to build with the very shallow spinner. 

Here's the latest and I think final drawing.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #168 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 3:50pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well Richard...after reading Mike's response on the drawing on HPA  I stand corrected.  The bushing on the prop should stick out beyond the rear prop plate to keep it from binding on the Clutch Dog.  You were way ahead in your thinking than I was.  I've corrected the drawing to meet that requirement.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #167 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 3:14pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Richard there will be some play in the prop shaft forward and back but the rubber motor will keep tension on the shaft until the motor is completely unwound.  There may still be some residual tension on the prop shaft even with the motor expended (especially with a braided motor).

the propeller is completely free to rotate and there will be some slip forwards and backwards on the prop shaft but the propeller will be stopped in forward motion by the retainer soldered on the end of the prop shaft. 

The brass tube bushing on the prop is flush with the rear prop plate and the front of the front prop plate. This is so the prop is completely free to rotate on the shaft only restrained by the clutch dog when it's engaged between the tang on the shaft drive plate and the prop shaft as you see it being engaged by Mike using the bamboo skewer to engage it in the video.  I hope this answers your questions....if not just ask for further clarification and we'll try to help. 
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #166 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:47pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Tom - I copied and printed out your drawing and compared it with the 34 second video.  I was wondering what stops the prop and the prop shaft from moving forward and/or backwards a little bit, when there is no rubber motor tension pulling it backwards.
Question - let's see if I can word this right.  Doesn't the prop's orange bushing sleeve extend further out past the rear of the prop, and out past the light blue clutch dog, and butt up against two washers (not shown), at the blue washer drive plate,  which has that small piece of music wire protruding out from its face (the blue washer drive plate itself being soldered to the prop shaft) ?
LWM
Richard

FREE_WHEELER_2.JPG (87 KB | 0 )
FREE_WHEELER_2.JPG

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #165 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:08pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Thanks Tom! - great drawing!  A++  Yes it really helps explain it!
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #164 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 1:36pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Here's my redraw of ZK-AUD's drawing, see if this helps.

IP Logged

Reply #163 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 1:21pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

??? need a little more that that ... ???  Diagrams, with labelled names of parts, which way does the prop turn ( ?where is the  prop? ), a written explanation to go along with it please.   If I am asking too much just say so ...  D minus.
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #162 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:59pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Richard...your wish was Mike's command...here's a video of ZK-AUD's free wheeler prop setup: Click Here
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #161 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:48pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

No paper profile pilots for you, Rick! Smiley  Looking good.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #160 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:35pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

ALBATROSS D5 PILOT

7763     Now the sides are all glued up and taped up into place and allowed to dry.

7766     I removed the tape and cut and filed away some overlap spots around the neck while it was still blocked up solid.    

7767     After filing it all as nice and even as I could get it,  I painted on some Lepage "Wood Filler", by adding a little bit of water to get just the right consistency - dries FAST, water and crack resistant, sandable, stainable, and paintable.  It needed about two or three coats to smooth it all out for sanding.

7768   and   7769     Now it is all sanded up to 400 grit, ready to paint.
LWM
Richard

IM007763.JPG (93 KB | 0 )
IM007763.JPG
IM007766.JPG (75 KB | 0 )
IM007766.JPG
IM007767.JPG (88 KB | 0 )
IM007767.JPG
IM007768.JPG (72 KB | 0 )
IM007768.JPG
IM007769.JPG (73 KB | 0 )
IM007769.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #159 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:32pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

ALBATROSS D5 PILOT

7752     It was very difficult to glue these flimsy, thin, lightweight, "P11",   1:20 scale,  0.020"  thick,  0.70  grams,  "Easy Built" pilot (goggles up), pilot halves together. Link to Scale Pilots here  http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1510418134/2#2 ;       It tuned out to be a lot of work fiddlin' around.  I carved out a vertical internal support of  1/16"  balsa, and bevelled the edges to fit into the rear pilot half, so it would not be too wobbly, when trying to glue the two halves together.

7754     Here, the vertical balsa internal support is glued into the rear pilot half with 5 min Epoxy.

7755     This is the jig setup to hold the rear pilot half, in order to glue the  1/16"  overlap of the front pilot half,  over the rear half.  Ready to paint on the glue and tape into place.

7756     I only glued up the top of the head at first and let it dry.

7759     Now the pilot sides need to be bent into position to the pencil lines, glued, and taped into place.

7760     The top of the head was dry, and the excess raised plastic overlap was cut off with a sharp Exacto knife, and filed nice and smooth with a Jeweller's file.  Now to glue the sides.
LWM
Richard

IM007752.JPG (94 KB | 0 )
IM007752.JPG
IM007754.JPG (93 KB | 0 )
IM007754.JPG
IM007755.JPG (96 KB | 0 )
IM007755.JPG
IM007756.JPG (85 KB | 0 )
IM007756.JPG
IM007759.JPG (98 KB | 0 )
IM007759.JPG
IM007760.JPG (104 KB | 0 )
IM007760.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #158 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:11pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Richard...I'm still studying his drawing and I believe I have a basic understanding.  I'm going to work on it some more before I try to clarify it. 

I liked your video link and have placed it on the video board.  Thanks for the link!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #157 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 6:46pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Tom - sorry, but I cannot understand any of ZK-AUD's prop and free wheeler, without a video I can pause, and step by step pictures.   Sad    How about posting a good simple video of how one works in the first place (I don't know where to look).  I never intended to put a free wheeler prop on my model anyway - like I said before, I am just a small park flyer, tying to keep it below the trees, and circling within the cricket wicket, running out the rubber for some good pics with background trees - not going out of sight OOS, or setting duration records, or height records, which I understand is where they need things like dethermalizers and free wheeler props - I can't do that in my little park - so I am just limited to having some basic fun.
     By the way, I did find
one good little video
which really explains
dethermalizers
very well, to a Newbie like me (remember, I just celebrated my first 60 second flight after trying all last summer - or did you miss that?) -  here by Joshua Finn  "
Get your model airplane back! Dethermalizers for free flight airplanes
"   https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=MODEL+AIRPLANE+DETHERMALIZER&&view=detail&m...

You should post the above video on the site somewhere - would really help.  Grin
By the way ZK-AUD's
SCOUT
model is "
upper echelon
" ...  Smiley Smiley
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #156 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:57am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Tom - I read thru ZK-AUD's build thread and what incredible work and you are right, the free wheeling setup and the craftsmanship is very well done. I book marked the build for future reference.
New Builder
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #155 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 12:44am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Richard...thought you might like to see ZK-AUD/Mike's Thomas Designs Bristol Scout on HPA and how he handled the prop and free wheeler.  Very interesting approach. Click Here
Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Send Topic Print