Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Send Topic Print
ALBATROSS D5 DUMAS 18" KIT #232 SCALE 1:20 FF (Read 20171 times)
Reply #257 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 9:58am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

A little bit of water or saliva on the outside of the bend will take some of the tension out of the stringer which will keep the stringers from wanting to warp the fuselage into the direction of the stiffer/stronger stringer....just a thought.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #256 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 5:56am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

ALBATROSS D5  -  DUMAS 18" KIT #232 SCALE 1:20 RUBBER POWERED FREE FLIGHT

Fuselage

Two "difficult bend" stringers on the fuse bottom from former #3  to  former #1 ,  are double white glued, and held down to dry with two elastics, where they extend past the nose.   I got the black thrust button fitted into the laminated nose block assembly, and the   1 7/8'   circle line is drawn on the front of the first  part # E1 lamination.  This noseblock cowl will be slid onto the front of former #1 , and shaped using a sanding block to this circle line, to help form the rounded nose.  Silnce I am going for the Albatross D3 look on the rounded noseblock,  I am gluing on an added  1/8"  lamination to the front - the  1 7/8"  circle is drawn on this too, and the center hole will fit right over the thrust button, for easy prop removal.

LWM
Richard

IM008223.JPG (212 KB | )
IM008223.JPG
IM008224.JPG (192 KB | )
IM008224.JPG
IM008225.JPG (148 KB | )
IM008225.JPG
IM008226.JPG (146 KB | )
IM008226.JPG
IM008227.JPG (133 KB | )
IM008227.JPG
IM008228.JPG (127 KB | )
IM008228.JPG

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #255 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 9:42pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Yep...time to put the shingles on the roof.... Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #254 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:19am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

8217  8218  The landing gear wire assembly is now installed (but not glued as per plan) in the fuse, and is free to move backwards and forwards to fit the angle of the landing gear struts.  Two tiny small  1/32"   bracing planks have been glued on either side of the bottom fuse keel between former #2 and fomer #3, where I had to cut the keel.  Its all ready for the stringers and then the Cabane struts mounting planks, the motor mounts planks, the machine gun plank, and the landing gear mounts planks.

LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #253 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 10:12am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Yep - things with wings here too. Cardinals are back on a more regular basis but no grackles yet. Saw a couple of bluejays over the weekend and all my big trees have buds beginning. Hope no more frost, lost quite a few leaves last year.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #252 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 9:46am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Beautiful images, Rick...always appreciate your perspective on "things with wings," as I'm certain OTHERS do.  Yes, spring is right around the corner here as well. Cheesy

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #251 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 8:38am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

SPRING UPDATE

No leaves are out, no buds are swollen, no green grass, just bare trees, no frogs croaking, all the standing water frozen, 21 deg F (feels like 18 F), at daybreak (only getting into the mid 30s F during the day), with frost everywhere, taking Trapper for his run to the forests and fields and bushes and shrubs and small bullrush wetland, around the rail spur and around the shooting range, and what do I see?  A small flash of blue flying away from me along the bushes at the forest edge of the shooting range.  I knew right away what it was, but this early?  Not a Blue Jay, but the "Robin with the sky on its back" and wings and tail, the Eastern Bluebird, with its mate.  It even flew down onto the grass right in front of me, as if to say hello, and give me a real closeup look, pecking for food.   The only other birds back are the Red Wing Blackbirds, and the Grackles just starting to come back, and I head the first song sparrow also this AM.
     And last night at twilight gloaming right after sunset, I hear all this cackling and bugleing, just like the flying monkeys in the movie "The Wizard of Oz", and I look up and here is a flock of 40 Sandhill cranes heading north on their six foot wingspans.  And I could hear another flock but could not pick them out in the fading light. 
     And a few days ago I surprised a flock of 14 monster wild Turkeys first thing in the morning, running along the other side of the single rail line - they were as big as Mastiff dogs and sunlit as they ran.  In the last six years we had only seen one, that we scared out of his roost high up in a tree above us, exploding away with a startling thrashing and crashing of powerful wings.  I have gobbled to them back and forth, echoing through the forest, with them coming ever nearer, but never seen a bunch of them up this close here.  Plus the Red Tail Hawk is building its nest in the thick of the trees.
    Time to get that winding stooge built, and stock up on a good supply of hanks of rubber, thrust buttons, prop hooks, small washers, and especially small "Crocket Hooks", for the rubber motors, from Volare.  Spring is just around the corner.   Smiley
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #250 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 10:58pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Yeah, you're right Neal.  I think I will put a  1/32"  plate on each side of that keel - it won't take long - and it will remove that nagging question - "should I have put small reinforcement plates on both sides of that keel cut?"  Better safe than sorry.
      The other balsa sandwiched landing gear wire of other kits just slid right up and glued into a slot.  Makes me wonder if anyone actually built this kit by the instructions before producing the kits.   Huh   Now it makes me wonder even more, if they ever did any flight testing before producing the kit.   Undecided
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #249 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 10:12pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Just tried to sign in...got that u-know-what msg!  Anyway....

Looks good, Rick.  Make sure you glue in a couple of plates on both sides over that keel cut...and maybe four hold-down bolts, washers, and nut on each end of the cut...it'll be ok.  Smiley Wink Wink  Seriously...a couple of thin 1/32" plates glued over the cut might be insurance.  Just a thought....  Would hate to mess with that keel once the airplane was completed.  Cutting the keel is like cutting a hole in your roof...you only do it when you absolutely need to.  Tally HO!

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #248 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 10:03pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

LANDING GEAR ASSEBLY INSTALL INTO THE FUSELAGE

Well, Neil,  I decided not to redo the LG wire because I would have to do it around the fuse frame being in the way.

8205    8207     The hold down plank is removed and part 2B  is glued in place, and then pressed down with a hold down plank.  I got out the razor saw and cut through the bottom center keel between former 2 and former 3.   The razor saw kerf was  0.0115"  thick, so I sanded down a small square of  1/16"  balsa and test fit this piece into the cut as a spacer.

8208     Then I double white glued this spacer into the cut, after sliding the landing gear wire assembly into position around the bottom keel.

8211     8212     Part  2C  is now glued on top of  2A  and  2B  , sandwiching in the horizontal top wire of the Landing Gear assembly.

8215    The spacer was then rough cut out, and a hold down plank was pinned over the top of part 2C while it dried.

LWM
Richard

IM008205.JPG (162 KB | )
IM008205.JPG
IM008207.JPG (140 KB | )
IM008207.JPG
IM008208.JPG (148 KB | )
IM008208.JPG
IM008211.JPG (159 KB | )
IM008211.JPG
IM008212.JPG (157 KB | )
IM008212.JPG
IM008215.JPG (179 KB | )
IM008215.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #247 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 2:38pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Following your idea Rick...if you were to make that sawcut through the keel close to former 2 (the former that the lg would be up against...then that bottom piece meant to reinforce the lg location can also serve to reinforce the keel sawcut...if you see what I'm saying.

Or...you could get the correct gauge wire and redo the lg.....

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #246 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 1:58pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

LANDING GEAR ASSEBLY INSTALL INTO THE FUSELAGE

8201     Crossmember 2A is glued in place.
8202      The crossmember is blocked down flat and flush with a bracing hold-down plank.
8204      The bracing hold-down plank is removed from over crossmember 2A, and part  2B  is next to glue, which leaves a small trough between  2A  and  2B , for the top horizontal wire of the landing gear wire assembly, to fit loose in between. 

This is a new method of landing gear installation for me.   The problem is, that the axle wire is already glued to the landing gear wire as per instructions, and the fuselage formers and keels are then already assembled and glued together for the fuse frame.  There is now no way to get the landing gear wire assembly into its spot, because there is the bottom center keel blocking this assembly step.  ??? 
     I think I will razor saw a slot through the bottom keel, between former  2  and  3  , then  slide the wire landing gear assy through that slot, and then glue a small sliver piece of balsa as thin as that razor saw kerf cut, slide and glue in that sliver of balsa to rejoin the bottom keel where I sawed that keel in half, then glue part  2C  on top of  2A  and 2B  , sort of sandwiching in that landing gear without gluing it in there, with the landing gear set in there to rotate freely, wiggling front to back,  in order to align the wire legs with the landing gear balsa struts.

LWM
Richard

IM008201.JPG (122 KB | )
IM008201.JPG
IM008202.JPG (146 KB | )
IM008202.JPG
IM008204.JPG (153 KB | )
IM008204.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #245 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 11:40am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Latest update - the number of parts to add is getting smaller.   The ladder jig rails sit high enough on their blocks to keep the tops of the formers above the building board.  Now to start the landing gear installation ...
LWM
Richard

IM008191.JPG (146 KB | )
IM008191.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #244 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 6:26pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Looks good, Rick....

All I can say...about white and yellow glues is...it's all in The Force...if you believe or not. Roll Eyes

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #243 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 3:29pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

FUSE WING SADDLES

Well, I finally got the wing saddles glued in and sanded up.   The saddles are solidly glued flush in the former slots, but the top curve outer edge sticks out a little past the curvature of the fuse, and would make for a raised edge when covering with tissue.  I carefully sanded this edge even with the fuse curve profile, for easier tissue covering.  So ... it all looks OK now, still no pin holes, everything is double white glued, and there are no parts numbers inked onto the clean balsa.  I just read that "WHITE GLUE" is the same as "
YELLOW GLUE
", except for the color of course - white dries clear and yellow dries yellow,  -  great short little article here  http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Comparing_White.html    and both need  0.006"   six thousandths of an inch, or less, separation of the mating surfaces, in order for the glue to work - (flush mating surfaces work for me) - and the glue bond is stronger than the balsa.
Onwards to landing gear installation, before stringers are added.

LWM
Richard 

WING_SADDLE_.jpg (276 KB | )
WING_SADDLE_.jpg
IM008172.JPG (177 KB | )
IM008172.JPG
IM008174.JPG (163 KB | )
IM008174.JPG
IM008175.JPG (169 KB | )
IM008175.JPG
IM008178.JPG (175 KB | )
IM008178.JPG

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Send Topic Print