Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22
Send Topic Print
ALBATROSS D5 DUMAS 18" KIT #232 SCALE 1:20 FF (Read 17050 times)
Reply #47 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 1:29pm

Kerak   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Well Rick...better lighting...that is very nice...Dumas get's an A-plus!  And yourself as well...nice job.  Careful painting and those wheels will be "sterling."

"I say, 'ol boy...good show."  I mean...Alles ist sehr gut!

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #46 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 1:02pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

An old plastid modeler's trick with vacuformed parts was to take a black marker and draw around the part to be released from the sheet.  Then take a pair of scissors and cut out the part from the sheet.  Take some masking tape and make a handled to stick to the part like I did with the windows with the Rearwin Speedster (Fold the tape back on itself leaving the ends apart to stick to the part) then use a full sheet of 80 grit or so sandpaper secured to a hard surface sand the part till the black marker starts showing on the bottom surface.  Make sure your sanding even all across the part.  Keep sanding till the part released itself from the sheet.  This way you don't have to worry about trimming too close or slipping with the blade into the part your cutting free.  Takes a bit longer than cutting out with knife or scissors but you'll have a better mating surface for gluing later.  Just a thought!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #45 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 12:46pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

The conical dish of the wheel halves are already built into the plastic.  I just had to bevel a little bit of the outside edges of the flat balsa core, for a good fit into the tire part of the plastic wheel halve.  Seems to fit nice snug now right in there.  Only the
outer edge
of the dish of the plastic wheel glues onto the flat of the balsa core - it is hollow from there on in to the axle.  Plus, the beveled edge of the balsa core glues into the tire part of the plastic wheel half.

7516  The plastic wheel halves are cut out and sanded to shape, and the  1/8"  balsa core has the edges beveled to fit into the inside radius of the tire tube of the plastic wheels.  The   1/32"   holes have been drilled in the center of the plastic wheel halves.
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #44 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 12:34pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

Tom showed a method for making the cone shape of spoke wheel covers some time ago, it worked well for me.  Cut a disk out of paper and cut a radial line from edge to center then overlap at the radial cut to form the disk into a cone. 

Of course not as nice as the wood finish you are so skilled at but sanding wood to such a shallow cone shape is problematic.

Terry

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 11:16am

Kerak   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

I'm still drinking my coffee, Rick...that's my excuse for not being very clear...a picture's worth a thousand posts.  Here's my thought...section view.  Upon second look, maybe those interior balsa discs don't extend as far as I thought...but it's still the conical outside addition that I'm suggesting...help the scale appearance.  Just a suggestion, of course.

Those wheels are a very nice feature by Dumas...gives a modeler something to work with.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 10:51am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Neil  Smiley  Those balsa cores are flat both sides - the flats of the balsa core glue to the outer dish edge of the inside plastic wheel ,  and the edges edges of the balsa core glue to the inside of the plastic wheel tire tube form - only glues in those two places, but does appear to be very strong.  Never tried these before - we will see if the wheel half "seams" line up close together, negating any body filler ...  Wink
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #41 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 9:57am

Kerak   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Like the wheels, Rick.  Question: The interior "spoked area" of the plastic wheels appears to have a flat contour in your photos...is there one side that is conical...as the actual wheel spokes were?  If not...you could add a sanded balsa disc to one side to simulate that effect.  Just a thought....

Good to see your handiwork "back at it" again.  Smiley  Never heard of starting construction with the wheels first...love it, Rick. I may try that myself next build. Grin Grin Smiley

Hey, got a digital scale myself!  Number One Son gave it to me for Christmas...was pestering me with what he could get me and wouldn't accept my usual reply of "Don't need anything."  I finally relented...and presto, I've now got a scale.  Will it change anything...will it alter the scheme of the cosmos...will it change me?  I wonder how much a Vera Lynn song weighs?  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 3:49pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

ALBATROSS D5 DUMAS 18" KIT #232 SCALE 1:20 FF

WHEELS
     I started on the plastic wheels that have a   1/8"  balsa core disc for added strength.  As these wheels will take a lot of beatings on landings,  it was important to try to get a nice snug fit all around.
     In order to cut out the wheel halves from the plastic, I penciled in a  guide line for the circle ( on the wheel half on the left).    I then cut out the wheel half, up to, but not past, that line, using barber's scissors.   The  1/8"   thick hollowed out balsa wheel center core did not fit nicely into the plastic wheel halves because of its sharp edges laser cut at 90 degrees.   So I sanded a small bevelled outside radius on the two edges of the balsa wheel core on the left, and it matched the inside radius of the plastic wheel half for a decent fit.
     I found a use for my new digital scale.  I sanded the wheel halves flat to final shape on a flat of fine sandpaper, weighed each up as I was doing that, and got them to within 0.05 grams weight of each other ( the scale weight is a dead giveaway as to which wheel half needs more sanding).
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:26am

Yardman Jeff   Offline
I feel like a kid again
SW corner of upstate NY

LOL...one of those smoke shops....nice score....lol

Tom Arnold, that book is a great read!

Kerak, Great video! Love the Sopwith Tripe, had seen a few video from that group of rc plane guys, flight Test, but nothing like this. Thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 9:36pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

NEW POCKET "INFYNITI" DIGITAL SCALE  -  UP TO 300 GRAMS x 0.01 GRAMS         $34.50  total with tax.

SCALE INFINITY
I finally found a digital pocket scale.   Went downtown to the dentist.  Got out and walked half a block to one of those "smoke shop/hookah shop/cigar shop" convenience stores, and sure enough I'll be danged, in the front window, there were many different sizes of pocket digital scales.

7503   The clear lid is closed.  Those grid lines are 6 inches apart.

7502    The clear lid is open, and can be used as a tray.  Now I can weigh up everything just like the pros do.

7504   I had two balsa sheets of "A" parts in the kit and this "A" sheet was lighter colored and softer.  Weight is  5.12  grams.

7505   This other "A" sheet was way darker and heavier grained, and harder.  Weight  5.37  grams.  Which means the heavier sheet is 4.9% heavier.  I guess I will alternate the ribs and other parts between the heavier and lighter sheets - even though I don't even know, if, this would be a significant difference or not.    I will be weighing up this model as I go along to see if I come close the the max  0.5 grams per square inch of wing area rule,  to be able to actually fly.
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 2:49pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

This is my last post of my overbearing preamble comprehensive kit description, if I may ...

ISO 3D CALL OUT VIEWS

The two plan sheets feature many isometric 3D call out views, with extra clarifying instructions, for the following:   -  iso view of half fuse framework,  iso views of fully assembled fuse,  iso views of completed top wing, bottom wing, rudder, and stab,  iso view of the landing gear assy,  iso vew of the engine cylinder assy,  iso view of the exhaust manifold assy,  iso view of the wheels assy,  iso view of the cowl assy, iso view of the headrest assy,   machine gun top view, right side view, and left side view,  and rear view of the dihedral rib jig placement,  all in addition to the regular front view, side view, top view and bottom views.  Lots of
great
views !

FLIGHT THEORY

The plan appears to have
2 deg
positive incidence on the
upper wing
1 deg
positive incidence on the
lower wing
,  no down thrust on the nose block,  no incidence on the stab, and  a "through wing" for a lower wing, that locates in the fuse bottom "cradle".
      There are callouts for the balance points,  and callouts for the  1"  dihedral for both wings.  I assume that the designer actually flew this plane with the kit supplied plastic prop, and confirmed the balance points and the dihedral.   
IF
I can build it as per plan, we will see if it flies as well as Tom Grigat's Albatross D5 in his  3 1/2  minute  stop motion video, of the same kit by the way, here  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=stop+motion+video+of+albatross&&view=detail...

Time to clear the building board and get out the white glue.
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 10:52am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Gentlemen...I've enjoyed the links and videos but this is the build section.  These should be shared in the S&T Cafe board so the build sticks to the build with a small bit of background/history of the aircraft.  Thanks for helping us keep this to the build. Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #35 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 9:45am

Kerak   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

That entire video is really remarkable...took that guy 25 years to build that Sopwith Triplane...following the Sopwith blueprints to the letter!  I loved that moment when he thought he'd shut down the rotary to check out why his airspeed indicator wasn't working...takeoff...looking down into the cockpit, thought he was still on the ground...only to look up and discover that he was fifty feet off the deck!  Grin  That's a real flyer!

Love the voice of Vera Lynn...not my time, but she's so sweet...gotta love her.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:11pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hey Neil - I forgot to tell you - that video of the Sopwith Triplane - well it showed me, and I finally found out, why they stitched that fabric on the side of the fuselage - so that they could unlace it, tighten up the internal fuselage bracing wires, and relace it back up again!!!  Yessereee!

Lyrics:   
"Lilly Marlene"
here http://www.lyricsfreak.com/v/vera+lynn/lili+marlene_20237762.html

"Lilly Marlene" video sung by
Vera Lynn
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=my+lilly+of+the+lamplight+&&view=detail&mid...

"Lily Marlene" video sung by
Marlene Dietrich
(German lyrics) to accordion
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=accordion+lily+marlene+&&view=detail&mid=D9...

"Lily Marlene"
solo accordion
· by
janucik

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=accordion+lily+marlene+&&view=detail&mid=C9...

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 3:08pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Tom Arnold - thanks for the link to the book titled "No Parachute" by Arthur Gould Lee - I read all that I could that was free - very articulately written!  Gonna order it from the library.
Hi Neal - great video about flying a rotary Sopwith Triplane!
     I am still wondering about the early German 'Otto Heinecke' 30 pound parachutes.  A full third of the first 70 airmen to bail out died.
It looks like maybe those long "legging boots" ( gaiters  or puttees ? ), might have had straps at the outer sides that hooked into the main waist belt of the parachute pack, just like a pair of "hip waders" have side straps, to hook onto your waist belt.  I think they needed reinforced harnesses with wider  leg/thigh straps so that the chute would not pull the pack off right over your head, when the chute suddenly filled with air.
     By the way, only France and USA withheld parachutes from their pilots until the very end of WW1. The Brits did not issue them until Sept 1918. That is why the pilots carried pistols, so that they could shoot themselves in the head instead of enduring the horrific torture of being burned to death alive.
     Are there any old paratrooper jumpers out there, who made a lot of jumps, who know about the early parachutes?  The pics I found are not very definitive ...
LWM
Richard
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2018 at 6:36pm by LASTWOODSMAN »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22
Send Topic Print