Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VERA LYNN SINGS "LILY MARLENE" WITH MALE ACCOMPANI (Read 218 times)
Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 6:21pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 4:31pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I'm with you Neal.  I wholeheartedly agree with you.  Yes, even Hitler liked the song and allowed it.  Listening to Vera certainly puts you "there".  Wink Smiley  Sigh ...
LWM
Richard
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2018 at 6:20pm by LASTWOODSMAN »  

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 4:11pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, RICK...unbelievably heartfelt and patriotic!  Did you know...Lili Marlene was so heartfelt that it was literally embraced by both Allied and Axis forces during WWII.  Not bad....

It's great to build with a little background mood music...keeps one thinking.

Did you ever see the old movie "Paths of Glory?"  The final scene has these French soldiers in a tavern demanding that a German girl get up to sing for them.  Hesitatingly she does...the joking stops...all of those French soldiers...are in tears.  Men are men and all have hearts...there's a real message there, though there will always be some who just don't get it. 

Vera Lynn represented everyone's home, their mothers, their sweethearts...in short, everything worth living for.  If you've ever been to that place in life...you know of what I speak.

Building models has got to be more than sticks and glue!  Listening to Vera Lynn is practically being there! Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:33pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

VERA LYNN SINGS "LILY MARLENE" WITH MALE ACCOMPANIMENT

I posted this video of one of the greatest female singers, of one of the greatest war songs ever, to put me in the mood of remembering all of those 19 year old boys who never came back, while I build my Dumas WW1 Albatross D5 biplane -  The WW1 fighter pilot's prayer went like this -  "Dear God, if there is a God, save my soul, if I have a soul".
     This is the song  "Lily Marlene" sung by Vera Lynn with manly background singing and humming voices.   The lyrics really make one wonder about war.
     I just love Vera Lynn - her voice is so clear - you can understand every heartfelt word she sings, with verve and a pearly angel voice.  And the beat of the military marching drummer, and the deep chorus harmony, and the singing and humming crescendo of the men, really accentuate the mood.   That song rendition can really choke you up.  It is
THE BEST of ALL
the arrangements.  And
she sang for the troops
.  You are right Neil - I too love the voice of Vera Lynn ... she's not my time either, but
SHE IS SO SWEET
... you just gotta love her.   I think Lawrence Welk would have scooped her up in a second ( maybe he did? ) - the Lawrence Welk shows are still on TV stations ... I can't stop listening to her over and over ...
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print