Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
alfakilo (Read 408 times)
Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 9:02am

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

These are good friends, Jack Roethlisberger (retired) and Dave Messersmith (has a few years to go 3 I think). Jack is building a wood Spitfire with an Allison in it and Dave is heading up the C47 at Air Heritage Museum.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 7:13pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

LASTWOODSMAN wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:14pm:
 But I guess you've read the book "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche, and already know all about flight theory.   Roll Eyes   I did a lot of stick n tissue control line flying too as a kid - and a plastic stuka and plastic spitfire, both with cox .049 engines  - which of course - I eventually smashed up ...  Also used 0.020 Cox engines in my balsa control line models too.  Those were the days ...  Richard

I have the book, excellent work!

One of the offshoots I've enjoyed has been the modification of S&T kits to control line, either .049 or .020. I still have all of my engines from the 50s and 60s, run them up every now then. I have a OK Cub .29 that I could never get started as a kid until recently when I bought an electric starter...no problem, it fired right up!!

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 7:07pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Huey v77 wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:23am:
By the by, know anyone from U S Air? A daughter is a doughnut dolly with them, also have several friends around Pittsburgh who are still working and retired (pilots). Looking forward to your builds.

Mark

I do know a few USAir folks, either buds from the military or retired guys from my last job.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:14pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hello alfakilo, limawhiskeymike here.  Great to have you aboard !   Smiley  You look just like my favorite teacher Mr. Trofin - grade 6 and 8 - greatest influence on my life.   Smiley   There is a lot of flight theory to Free Flight rubber power - Oh, Man! - to send it of with no further control inputs, and a motor of slowing rpms, and get it to glide back down softly for a noseplant in long grass.   But I guess you've read the book "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche, and already know all about flight theory.   Roll Eyes   I did a lot of stick n tissue control line flying too as a kid - and a plastic stuka and plastic spitfire, both with cox .049 engines  - which of course - I eventually smashed up ...  Also used 0.020 Cox engines in my balsa control line models too.  Those were the days ...  We cannot fly gas engine control line or r/c planes in Jackson Park today - you will get kicked out ... One guy had a BIG r/c drone way up just after sunset, taking footage of the sunset and moonrise to send away (amateur astronomer), with big nav lights on the bottom very visible, at least 300 feet AGL, where the real planes take off and come in on final at 500 feet AGL.  The Auxiliary Police were on him pretty quick ...
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:23am

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Hi Andy welcome. Lots of places here and lots of information. By the by, know anyone from U S Air? A daughter is a doughnut dolly with them, also have several friends around Pittsburgh who are still working and retired (pilots). Looking forward to your builds.

Mark

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 11:02pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

AK...
Great to put a face with a name!!!  Great to have you back in the greatest hobby there is.  Free Flight (always capitalized) is filled with fun, challenges and great camaraderie as you find here at S&T.

My Father-n-law was a Captain for American Airlines many years ago.  Unfortunately he's no longer with us.
Once again...great to have you with us here at S&T.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Jan 18th, 2018 at 9:03pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Hi to all! I'm Andy and live in St Charles, MO.

I recently retired from FlightSafety Intl where I was a simulator instructor teaching airline pilots on the Embraer 170 series of airliners. Prior to that I was a TWA/American pilot after retiring from the USAF where I flew fighters.

My earliest memories of modelling comes from my dad making some of the early plastic kits in the late 40s and early 50s. I recall trying to make something recognizable out of a number of Strombecker kits. Growing up, I was very into control line flying as well as S&T modelling. I was very fond of the Monogram Speedy-Bilt series.

Later in life, I've had an on again, off again flirtation with Cleveland plans and FF in general. My son has picked up the hobby and we've enjoyed some quality time together in the hobby.

02_001.jpg (42 KB | 4 )
02_001.jpg
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print