Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
22" CABINAIRE FLIGHT REPORT JAN 28 2018 (Read 360 times)
Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 1:58pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Mike - thanks, no, the gear is not removable - I built it three years ago before I really knew anything about free flight.   I will give it a try anyway - I think I am on a mission to try to fly all the models languishing on the shelves.  If they crash up too badly, I will just glue them up and put them out to pasture ...  Wink  back on the shelves. LOL three inches of snow so far and it is still snowing ...
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 12:00pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Richard, the Staggerwing is a beauty!  Is the landing gear removable?  If so that would probably simplify trimming.  Good luck with the flights once the weather improves..

Cheers,  Mike

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 9:52am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Mike - its snowing pretty good here in Windsor too, 20 miles north of you in Amherstburg - we are only supposed to get a couple of inches, but further East a 4 to 6 inch dump - so much for flying now ...  Lips Sealed
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 7:50am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

After we talked I didn't think you would actually go flying but good thing you did, snowing here in Amherstburg  and am pretty sure is snowing at your place also. Humidity is really low, no sagging tissue here. Good looking pic of Trapper.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Jan 28th, 2018 at 8:01pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

CABINAIRE FLIGHT REPORT JAN 28 2018

Well, I went flying today with the 22" Sig "Cabinaire".  There seemed to be little wind when I walked the dog at noon.   Came home.   Straightened out the bent stab with some steam from a boiling pot, checked the balance, and got the stooge and pack together.   There was only two strands of 1/8" rubber, each 11"  long, in the Cabinaire (prop hook to rear peg is 12"),  so I made sure I cut off a good hunk of fresh 3/16" rubber, off of the hank of rubber in the fridge, to bring with me, grabbed the dog, pack and plane and off we went to the Cricket Wicket at 2:12 pm - wind 4 mph from the East gusting to 6 mph, only 61% humidity, 43 deg F (feels like 41 deg F).   That Cabinaire NEVER DID fly  well after I broke off the wing, but I still had to try it.
     The longest flight I got was maybe 10 seconds - mostly 5 seconds.  I could not get it to climb - even when pointed on a large upward angle launch.  The 1/8" rubber had no strength at all, so right away, I made up a motor of two strands of 3/16" each 18" long, and put in 70 winds with the winder = 1050 turns, and tried launching at all different angles to the wind from different sides of the field, with and without the downthrust shim, and even taping on file folder cardboard, upward bent, elevator tabs,
ALL TO NO AVAIL
.  The wind seemed to be blowing through the bare trees surrounding the wicket, at a much faster speed than 6 mph!    But it was a nice, mostly sunny day anyway.  When I got home, about 20 flights later, the wind was 9 mph gusting to 14 mph.   The cold rubber only seemed to have enough muster for the first few seconds on the initial power burst.  Did not get a lot of good pics - the plane was already on the ground by the time the digital camera even captured the image.
      My next plane to fly is this Dumas   17 1/4"   Beechcraft
"Staggerwing"
, that has been languishing on the shelf now for three years - just have to take off that heavy plastic nose cone - 5.27 grams - and check the balance, weight, and wing area to see if it even has a chance of flight.  Just checked the balance - it is
RIGHT ON
!    Total Wing Area is 78 square inches, and the weight is 37.5 grams prop and motor inclusive.  Wing loading is  0.48 grams per square inch of wing area.  Now I'm getting
pretty excited
about flying the "Staggerwing" !!!
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print