Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
INTERNAL SERVER ERROR (Read 256 times)
Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:17pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Now I am getting that Internal Server Error over again, but with this "add on".   "Resend" and "Cancel" both do not work.
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 10:09pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I agree with Mike 'Yotabota".  I am more than willing to fork over my share to help out the site, because I really do appreciate being here.  To live and die on S&T.   Smiley   I spoke to my computer Guru today about it all.   He said it sounds like we are running out of disc space.  He thinks we need additional hard drives, because they are too full to "defrag", which, in itself, would take a very long time.   He suggested maybe buying a 2 Terrabyte Hard Drive (appx $40), and setting up the server like a "raid".  I see that Mike Yotabota said " it shouldn't take long to build up enough funding to buy an up to date RAID5 array for the farm".  I don't know what the word "RAID5" means, or how much they cost, but now I heard that term twice today ...
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 9:32pm

yotabota   Offline
I must age,,, but I don't
have to mature
Sooke BC

Just a couple of observations if I may;
1.  Although it may look like a hardware issue, no one from the admin side has chimed in to agree or disagree with this assumption.
2.  If a monetary infusion is required then we don't need "a" donor, all it takes is for everyone to donate a few dollars to the site. With over 1100 members it shouldn't take long to build up enough funding to buy an up to date RAID5 array for the farm. All it takes is the equivalent of a couple of beer or a deck of smokes and the money will be put to a better use. You've all seen the donate button.
I don't know what our admin folks do for a living but I see less problems here than with some of the extremely well funded government websites and applications.
To our admin folks, I know the work and knowledge required  to keep a website running and for a nonprofit volunteer website you folks are doing a pretty damn fine job. But,,  if you need assistance  please ask.
I haven't done much building this year but I'm on the site most every day with my morning coffee and very much appreciate the camaraderie of all involved and the knowledge that is passed on. This is a great site and I'd like to see it still around for many years to come.
LWM - try just clearing the cache and not the browser history, I sometimes need to clear the cache to log out.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 8:06am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Settle down boys...this too shall pass

Well said Neal. The real truth is that this is not going to go away without some financial injection for a server upgrade or possibly a memory upgrade (which may not be possible as this appears to be an older server and the memory slots are  probably filled). So, unless there is a donor on the horizon, which, by the way, doesn't seem to be there, it is what it is. I for one enjoy our small community of supporting members since we all share the same end result of improvement and progress in our building skills, the open and friendly exchange of ideas and techniques, and the great feeling of showing our latest and greatest work. Many of you are members of other sites but you are still here so I have to assume you also are happy here in spite of the occasional problems, so I am hopeful this little annoying problem wont be a defining moment for our site.
New Builder
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 10:44am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Listen...hear the trays and spoons being pounded against tables...louder and louder.  Careful boys, the screws are nervous....

I TOO, have been receiving this message...for months now...and surely everyone can't be having the same personal computer issue...can they?  I figure maybe this site is doing what it can...handicapped as it is.  Maybe it just doesn't need my participation...so I move on...maybe later.  But it really is too bad that things run that way...especially when others seem to be doing just fine.

Could this be a form of "cyber-bullying?"  Or maybe it's one of those "vast right-wing conspiracies" we've all heard about?  Left-wing?

Settle down boys...this too shall pass...nature's way.

Neal
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2018 at 12:35pm by Kerak »  
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 3:03pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I don't like having to clear my Browsing and Download History because it logs me off of my sites and then I have to log in again - plus I lose my Browsing History.  I am not getting that HTTP 500 Internal Server Error on any other site.   I just typed in "HTTP 500 Internal Server Error" into a web search, and there is a lot of info about how to fix that problem.
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 12:53pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

The problem is not on anyone's computer. The problem is with the server, that is, the hosting provider for S&T. I suggest that you look up the error on the net. This one is only semi-technical: HTTP 500 Internal Server Error. Clearing your browser history, cookies ... will have no real effect. The only time that it will seem to help is when time elapses, and the server is not as busy, so the problem will appear to go away. That is because the most common cause for the error is timeouts, since it is a generic error. And that is why pressing the "refresh"/"reload" button on your browser will (most of the time) work.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:15am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

We're checking into the problem.  Thanks for your patience.  Sometimes clearing browsing history helps alleviate the problem.
Tom
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:12am

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

I get this error regularly.  It occurs when browsing on my Kindle, iPhone and PC, and only when browsing this site.  I'm not enough of an IT guru to offer any suggestions to fix it, but I'm pretty sure it is a site problem rather than a user problem.

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:52am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

No, You're not alone.  I've been getting the error with nearly every third "click" for the past few days.  I'm also on a brand new confuser that is not yet fully configured (still need to transfer the files that I can salvage from the "old" unit).

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:26am

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

It seems I am getting this Internal Server Error all the time now, even after buying a new computer.  Is anyone else getting it, or just me ?
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print