Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 12:40am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

alfakilo wrote on Feb 25th, 2018 at 9:18pm:
Sky9pilot wrote on Feb 25th, 2018 at 6:16pm:
When I laminate balsa:Tom

Thanks, Tom. I have been using your techniques (and those of others) and really appreciate the help.
One note when you are talking to new folks like me...tell them to trace the inside of the area to be laminated and not the outside, otherwise as I found out today, the resulting laminated form is too big!! Silly mistake!!

The plumbers tape technique has worked for me, also I tried rubbing a bar of soap along the form until it was well coated.

Thinned Titebond works great.

I have had good success using the foam trays that meats are in at the food store. The Teflon tape seems to stick to it. Also found that the mailing boxes that Amazon uses work well, especially when rubbed with the soap.

Again, thanks much for your help and the same for the rest of the folks here.

OOPS...yes you have to reduce the size of the formers as alfakilo says or everything will not fit the laminations correctly.  I usually take an old drafting compass and spread it the amount of the lamination and then trace around the former with the pin on the outside of the former. This will allow the pencil lead to draw the correct size inside the outside line.  Hope I didn't just confuse the issue.

Let me say also, if the curve is too sharp/tight of a turn, and the the unsoaked strips won't make the bend around it.  Soaking over night or just for 10 or 15 minutes in hot water will help.  A little bit of Windex window cleaner won't hurt either. Just be sure to pull the laminations around the form so the laminations are tight against each other!

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 9:18pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Sky9pilot wrote on Feb 25th, 2018 at 6:16pm:
When I laminate balsa:Tom

Thanks, Tom. I have been using your techniques (and those of others) and really appreciate the help. One note when you are talking to new folks like me...tell them to trace the inside of the area to be laminated and not the outside, otherwise as I found out today, the resulting laminated form is too big!! Silly mistake!!

The plumbers tape technique has worked for me, also I tried rubbing a bar of soap along the form until it was well coated.

Thinned Titebond works great.

I have had good success using the foam trays that meats are in at the food store. The Teflon tape seems to stick to it. Also found that the mailing boxes that Amazon uses work well, especially when rubbed with the soap.

Again, thanks much for your help and the same for the rest of the folks here.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 6:16pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

When I laminate balsa:
I usually use my balsa stripper and 1/32" sheet to strip out some 1/32"X 3/32" or 1/32"X 1/16" strips for laminating.  Usually it flexible enough without soaking for most wingtips and stabs and just using thinned carpenter's glue to laminate the three strips and stretch around a form for the desired shape.  The moisture in the glue is usually enough to get the desired bend in the balsa.  The yellow carpenter's glue (like Titebond) is wiped off before wrapping the form and then allowed to dry.  It gives me a easy sanding balsa to finish out the wingtips or stabs. I usually wrap the forms with Teflon (plumbers tape white) tape so the balsa doesn't stick to the form.

Here's a picture of the forms used for my Dash 8 airliner fuselage formers laminated out of 1/32"X 3/32" balsa strips.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:49pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Hi Andy! Here's what works for me. I tried this last October. The Gee Bee I built has laminated tips, all. I cut 1/32 sheet in strips about 3/32 wide. The length was long enough to overlap the joint at the leading edge and trailing edge. I used dense cardboard cut out in the shape of the tip, pined down over wax paper. I soaked the strips, floating, in hot water. There are two things that seemed to work very well. One, just before glueing, I would roll my Exacto handle over the strip. It helps it bend. Two, soak the strip with window cleaner, softens the wood. The first strip is pulled into place with "T" pins holding it in place. At this point I would smooth glue (Titebond) on the out side face of the first strip. Process the next strip and pull it around the form and pin in place. I'm trying to accomplish this as quick a possible. I did this for four laminations. After the last strip I would run my finger over all the laminations to make sure they were all flush. At first I didn't put anything on the cardboard to make it easier to remove the tip when finished. Later I found furniture wax on the edge improved things greatly. Titebond takes a few hours to cure so I let it sit over night. After cured, fine sand the top and bottom on a sanding block. Because they are made longer than needed you can lay it over the plan and cut to the correct size. Works great.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:40pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Standard wingtip, laminated or not is to be on the inside. But there are variations depending on where the end rib is, and whether the tip is elevated or not.
ian

IP Logged

Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:12pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I'm new at laminating wingtips, etc and am unsure of how to attach the laminated section to the leading and trailing edges.

Is the laminated section glued to the outside or inside? My guess is that it would be better to have the laminated section under compression, ie on the inside pushing out, but I really don't know.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print