Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Difficulties With Silver Esaki Tissue (Read 343 times)
Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 7:31pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

AK - here is a link to Brad's Sorceress - 1972 Reno Biplane racer - he did a fantastic job on his whole model using silver tissue
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1487013873/75
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 6:49pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I have used Easybuilt's silver tissue.  I like it and apply it similar to the Esaki.  It is a bit more porous than Esaki so can be spritzed on the shinny side, but like Esaki it take more time to penetrate.

My F-86 was covered using Easybuilt tissue. Click Here
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 6:00pm

alfakilo   Online
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Sky9pilot wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 2:42pm:
Esaki Silver/Aluminum is a bird of another feather.  Apparently the silver finish is applied to the tissue and thereby reducing the ability of the tissue to shrink as the color tinted tissue. 

I've found that applying it wet (by wetting the back side) of the tissue and pulling the wrinkles out as best I can before it dries has worked best for me.  It is reluctant to go around compound curves and takes much more patience and re-wetting and additional gluestick for application. Sometimes I've had to resort to small strips for the application.  It does seem to be a bit tougher and more resilient to hanger rash!!!

Another solution to achieving  the aluminum/silver finish is to use black tissue with a light coat of Krylon Silver paint or many use the Design Master Floral Spray like you find at Michael's in silver. 
Tom

Yep, Tom, that pretty well describes my observation when I tried my test strip. Being somewhat clueless, I applied the tissue shiny side up and then tried to shrink that with my water/alcohol spray. Needless to say, that didn't work!!

Eventually, I managed to get the strip pretty much wrinkle-free, but way too much effort for something that was a two-dimensional framework (like a stabilizer would be).

I see where EZBuilt offers a silver tissue. Any experience with that?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 2:42pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Esaki Silver/Aluminum is a bird of another feather.  Apparently the silver finish is applied to the tissue and thereby reducing the ability of the tissue to shrink as the color tinted tissue. 

I've found that applying it wet (by wetting the back side) of the tissue and pulling the wrinkles out as best I can before it dries has worked best for me.  It is reluctant to go around compound curves and takes much more patience and re-wetting and additional gluestick for application. Sometimes I've had to resort to small strips for the application.  It does seem to be a bit tougher and more resilient to hanger rash!!!

Another solution to achieving  the aluminum/silver finish is to use black tissue with a light coat of Krylon Silver paint or many use the Design Master Floral Spray like you find at Michael's in silver. 
Tom

10523837.jpg (72 KB | )
10523837.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Feb 28th, 2018 at 12:51pm

alfakilo   Online
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I did a test run with this tissue and immediately saw that it has characteristics different from other esaki colors. I searched here but didn't find much, on the HPA forum, however, there is a fairly wide ranging discussion.

Has anyone had success with this and if so, what worked for you?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print