Alfredo Arbe   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

REally useful tips!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 12:19pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

I usually try to ballast and test fly my models, before they are painted, at the plan-based location so to determine that the CG is in the right place - or close to - with whatever sticks to the model (usually plasticine).  Once I know that I'm close and the unfinished model does what it's supposed to do, I weigh the ballast and then dig thru my box of washers (steel or, preferably, brass) of approximately the same weight of the clay, and epoxy it directly on the backside of the noseplug.  The added weight of the epoxy partially offsets the added weight of paint behind the CG.  The photo shows how I did my Spitfire.

DSCF6457.jpg (133 KB | 2 )
DSCF6457.jpg

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 11:58am

yotabota   Offline
I must age,,, but I don't
have to mature
Sooke BC

Morning (for me),
I'd like to hear from the contest guys on this topic. I see some beautiful aircraft and wonder how the ballast is secured and what is being used for ballast.
The Junior hasn't been trimmed yet that's why the "guns" are still showing. Once it's trimmed the guns will be flush and coloured.
AK- are there any clubs in your area or builders close by for brain picking? The closest I have to expertise would driving a few hours to visit pb-guy Wink,,,,,hmmmm,, might get a coffee out of it Grin.
LWM- great looking Staggerwing.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 7:33am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Too often in these discussions we see references to "do this" or "do that" without much of a explanation on how to do it. Trimming is such a topic. When we read that we should add washout, it is really appreciated when we are told what and why but also the how.

Thanks again!

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 10:13pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hey Mike - I also was wondering about other ways to add weight too.  Good tips.  Smiley
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 10:03pm

yotabota   Offline
I must age,,, but I don't
have to mature
Sooke BC

I guess a lot depends on the airplane. I like using 1/8 solder for ballast. For my Frog Junior sailplane I drilled two holes in the nose for a very tight fit to hold the solder in place. I can adjust the balance by moving the solder in or out to get the balance right. For my Guillows Hurri I built a mount of lite ply glued to the nose that the cowl fits over and the prop button holds the cowl in place yet I still have access to add or remove solder. I flattened the solder, wrapped it around the mount and then soldered it to itself. This way adjusting the ballast only takes a couple of minutes and a soldering iron.
On LWMs Staggerwing a groove could be cut around the inside of the cowl to glue a ring of solder into.
Anyway, another method to chew on until you find what works best for you.

Frog_Jr.JPG (154 KB | )
Frog_Jr.JPG
Hurri_Mount.JPG (154 KB | )
Hurri_Mount.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 7:52pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

AK, just take off the removable nose plug or the removable cowl, and stick the modelling clay inside the front of the fuse on the bottom around the bottom center keel.   This is a "relatively permanent change" by adding weight to the interior.
     Or, to add weight to the tail - put some clay around the tailskid - I never had it come off ...
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 6:43pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

LASTWOODSMAN wrote on Mar 1st, 2018 at 4:37pm:
Grey colored modelling clay - consistency of play-dough - and it really sticks where you put it - mold it into a shape around some part - it just sticks there.
LWM
Richard

OK!! I had the idea that folks were making relatively permanent changes by adding weight to the interior.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 4:37pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Grey colored modelling clay - consistency of play-dough - and it really sticks where you put it - mold it into a shape around some part - it just sticks there.
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Mar 1st, 2018 at 3:57pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Once the model is built and it's time to test fly it, if weight needs to be added, how is this done? I'm assuming that the model doesn't have any open access to its interior...other than the nose block or access at the motor peg. In any case, what keeps this added weight from rattling around!!??

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print