Send Topic Print
Comet P51D Kit #3901 (Read 1929 times)
Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 12:27pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Kerak wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 10:33am:
On second take...looking closely at the plan instructions...looks like that in-fill part should be raised up to fit closely with the cockpit decking....then it's your choice if you want to in-fill below it....
Neal

I think Neal is absolutely correct.
the part should snug up to the cockpit decking and as Neal said fill below it if you wish.  A little water/saliva on the  part that curves to the dorsal spine will allow it to bend without breaking and you can then clamp/pin or tape it into position till it dries.

from that first side angle I was seeing the P-51B side windows and couldn't see the canopy rear deck. 
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 11:35am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

I would cut and add another piece of 1/16" balsa on top of the L10? between the formers, making sure that it covers the gap left in front of the piece that is too short. Then sand off the bits of the balsa that was glued on that extends past the outlines of the formers F9 and F11.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 10:54am

wareagleed   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Alabama

Kerak,

There is a bubble canopy in the kit and it does instruct the builder to paint the canopy frame onto the plastic canopy. It appears that, like you said, the painted portion would cover the gap between the canopy "floor" and panels F25L&R.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 10:33am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Looking good, Wareagleed. Smiley  I'm curious...did Comet supply a bubble canopy as part of the kit?  If so, a temporary fitting at this point might help with your decision concerning that part of the fuselage.  My thinking is that possibly the canopy itself was intended to cover that gap.

Neal

On second take...looking closely at the plan instructions...looks like that in-fill part should be raised up to fit closely with the cockpit decking....then it's your choice if you want to in-fill below it....

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 10:24am

wareagleed   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Alabama

As for the cockpit, I have taken some pictures to illustrate my confusion. The first two pictures are of the plans. The second has the balsa wood panel location outlined in red. However, the assembly picture (picture 3) shows that panel in a different place. The red arrow shows where the plans direct the builder to place pieces F25L&R but the picture shows it in the position indicated by the yellow arrow. I put it together as per the plans (last picture) but the fit is not great. I am thinking about removing those pieces and using some real thin balsa and create a more curved shape, but I am not sure.

Should I just roll with it as it is, or should I attempt to "correct" it? What would be the best way to correct it?

Cockpit_003.JPG (220 KB | )
Cockpit_003.JPG
Cockpit_002.JPG (252 KB | )
Cockpit_002.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 8:15pm

wareagleed   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Alabama

I've finished the landing gear struts and the stabilizer framework. I have started on the rudder assembly.

DSCN2400.JPG (264 KB | )
DSCN2400.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 1:39pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I'm a bit confused...looks like your plans are for a P-51D bubble canopy while your fuselage looks to be a razor back P-51B/C....  You build looks great so far!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 12:19pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I like your build Ed !   Smiley   Great woodwork on that nose too!  Shocked
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 11:30am

strat-o   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

I think it may be that the canopy deck behind the pilot needs to be angled up towards the rear (a bit more than it is).  I think it should be the same angle as the canopy side edges. 

Marlin

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 8:10pm

wareagleed   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Alabama

Thanks. I think the pictures make it look straighter than it actually is.

Here's a few more pictures.

The area under the canopy behind the pilot doesn't look right. There are two pieces that go under and to the side of the canopy floor that don't fit well at all. I don't know if I misunderstood how those pieces go or what. They appear to be right according to the drawings, but the one picture the plans show do not match what I did (or the drawings). It appears that the painted area of the canopy will cover this up so I'm not fretting too much about it.

P51D_5.JPG (142 KB | )
P51D_5.JPG
P51D_6.JPG (200 KB | )
P51D_6.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 10:21pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Great start and your fuselage looks very straight...well done!
Tom

IP Logged

Mar 4th, 2018 at 10:04pm

wareagleed   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Alabama

This is my first stick-and-tissue model build, as I built plastic models as a child. My dad build and flew S&T models as a child back in the 1950s. I am currently assembling an old Comet P-51D that has been at my parents house since the early 1980s. It was intended as a gift for a cousin, but circumstances kept that from happening. I had contemplated putting the model together for a few years and finally decided to do it this past Christmas. It has been rather fun so far, though the instructions are not always clear and I am making some newbie mistakes. Also, it has lost a few parts over the years, but I think I can recreate them. However, the canopy and nose cone have slight dents or creases in them, but I will build with what I've got. I plan on this one being a static display with no intent to fly it, though I want to try rubber power in the future and, maybe, go from there. I will post pictures as I take them and have  time to reduce them in size.

P51D_1A.jpg (70 KB | )
P51D_1A.jpg
P51D_2.JPG (181 KB | )
P51D_2.JPG
P51D_3.JPG (300 KB | )
P51D_3.JPG
P51D_4.JPG (255 KB | )
P51D_4.JPG
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print