Send Topic Print
Comet P51D Kit #3901 (Read 1933 times)
Reply #26 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:35pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Be safe! Thanks for your service! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 12:03pm

wareagleed   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Alabama

Thanks for the kind remarks. Unfortunately, I have had to put my build on hold as Uncle Sam gave me an all expenses paid trip to the desert for the next several months. I'll try to see if I can post the most recent pictures of the plane. It is pretty much ready for paint and final assembly. I did make a rookie mistake and didn't round the edges of the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. I'm not sure I can go back and do that, now that they are covered in tissue, without messing up the covering. I don't think it will be terribly noticeable, though.

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:44pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

wareagleed:  I'll be starting a Guillow's P-51D myself and will be closely following your build.  I too, will be building it for static display.
You really did a great job on the nose cowl where the spinner meets and the air scoop under the belly.  I might need to employ such building techniques.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 9:06pm

wareagleed   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Alabama

I decided to redo the tissue on the whole horizontal stabilizer. It turned out quite well. I covered the wing with tissue yesterday and today. I will post some pictures as soon as I get a chance.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - May 27th, 2018 at 3:46pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

If the tissue is adhered to the balsa around the slit, then you can cut out that panel and replace that panel with new tissue and re-shrink that panel. If it isn't glued down you could go back with diluted white glue or dope and paint the edges with these to glue the tissue to the surrounding panel so it can be cut out.   If you wet down the whole stab make sure you pin it down to dry to avoid warps.  You can use strips of 1/16" sq to run under the stab so air can pass under the stab as it dries!

IP Logged

Reply #21 - May 27th, 2018 at 3:05pm

wareagleed   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Alabama

I applied tissue to the horizontal stabilizer. I felt pretty good about the results, that is until I shrunk the tissue. I saw what I thought was a tear and then noticed it was a slit. There is one on the other side of the stabilizer also. I looked at the tissue and it has this slit (about 1/4" - 3/8" long) repeated down one side of the  sheet of tissue. I haven't checked any other sheet of the tissue for this slit.

So, what is the best way to fix it? Remove the tissue from the whole stabilizer and start over? Do I sand away the tissue where it is glued to the wood?

P51D_17.jpg (149 KB | )
P51D_17.jpg
P51D_18.JPG (112 KB | )
P51D_18.JPG
P51D_19.JPG (114 KB | )
P51D_19.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #20 - May 21st, 2018 at 5:41pm

wareagleed   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Alabama

I have only done a little work on the plane lately. However, a while back I made a little frame from balsa that I recently used to practice tissue application. I actually used some tissue that was in a Christmas present that I received last year. I was surprised to find that it worked. I was able to shrink and it tightened up nicely. Using some instructions that I think I found on this forum, I used straight EZEDope on the frame and used a glue stick (UHU blue) to attach the tissue. I shrunk it with straight distilled water (this is when I took the picture below). Yesterday and today I treated the tissue with at 5% EZEDope solution that I sprayed on (to stop the tissue from sagging, though it sagged a little during the next step, but tightened up quite nicely after it dried) and then applied a 30% solution with a brush, in two coats. Hopefully, next weekend I will be able do a paint test with it.

tissue1_sm.jpg (204 KB | )
tissue1_sm.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #19 - May 8th, 2018 at 4:32pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Your scoop turned out very nice!  I look forward to following more progress!
Tom
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2018 at 6:09pm by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

Reply #18 - May 8th, 2018 at 2:11pm

wareagleed   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Alabama

I built the intake per the instructions and it didn't look quite right to me. I built up the bottom of the intake by cutting curved strips from scrap pieces of wood and gluing them in place. I'm pretty much done with it. Because of all the layers of wood it needs some gap filling with wood filler (which I have done) and a final sanding (which I haven't completed yet).

Ed

P51D_13.JPG (152 KB | )
P51D_13.JPG
P51D_14.JPG (171 KB | )
P51D_14.JPG
P51D_15.JPG (150 KB | )
P51D_15.JPG
P51D_16.JPG (162 KB | )
P51D_16.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 11:37pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Wareagleed,

If I may say, you're doing a great job.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 8:31pm

wareagleed   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Alabama

I've been working on some details for the P51D. I've started to assemble the instrument panel, the cockpit headrest, exhaust, and intake. I'm in the process of painting the props, too.

P51D_11.JPG (187 KB | )
P51D_11.JPG
P51D_12.JPG (151 KB | )
P51D_12.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 8:54am

wareagleed   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Alabama

When I first started the build I thought I would display it at work on top of a cabinet (I work for an Air National Guard unit). But, now it has shifted to a possible hanging decoration in a boy's room. Also, I kind of had an itch to build the landing gear for the heck of it/for the experience. Smiley

Another reason for the slower going on the P51 is that I have been building an Osborne platter plane, too. I need to drill and mount the engine mount and make the c/l lead-outs. Who knows when I will get that done.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 7:45pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Wareagleed: If what I read is correct that you intend to hang the model from the ceiling and "...no one will notice the gear anyway," why go through the trouble of working on the gear in the first place?  Why not just fill in the wings where the gear bay is, then simply outline in pen (or ink or marker), the gear doors and covers?  I understand the word, "May"  get hung from the ceiling, so that'll give you a bit of flexibility.  I'm just thinking for your first build, you may wish to simplify your build and close up the bay.  Yet, in my mind, why not give it a try and see how far you can go?  This site will support you in whatever decision you make.  Skye

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 3:22pm

wareagleed   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Alabama

I have not been able to work on the plane a whole lot lately and most of what I have done is small things. I do have some pictures of my progress. The first two are in regards to one of my previous posts about that confusing panel below the canopy rear deck. I endued up cutting those two pieces away and replacing with two pieces cut out of 1/16" sheet balsa. It turned out pretty well, I think, considering my newness to balsa wood model building and that funky, parabolic curve around the deck. I did manage to break a piece off of one of the panels when I was test fitting the curve I had cut. I did get it glued in and it's appearance is not too bad.

I also completed the tail fin/rudder and installed the landing gear in the wings. I painted the wheel centers, landing gear, and areas inside the landing gear bay, though this plane may get hung from the ceiling and no one will ever see the insides of the landing gear bay. I am currently working on the props, just got them all properly shaped yesterday.

P51D_7.JPG (227 KB | )
P51D_7.JPG
P51D_8.JPG (186 KB | )
P51D_8.JPG
P51D_9.JPG (217 KB | )
P51D_9.JPG
P51D_10.JPG (268 KB | )
P51D_10.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 3:50pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

You still out there, Wareagleed?  Wondering how your Mustang is coming along?

Neal

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print