HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Some Old Builds (Read 765 times)
Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 1:52pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I did the short wing racer version. Hughes also broke a transcontinental record with the long wings installed. This one would be a much better flyer, I imagine.

Another one from my 25 year old bin is a Polish P.7, a 1930s fighter. Not sure what I built it from, maybe a Cleveland plan because the model has a motor stick in it and that was common with Cleveland models from that time.

It was mostly finished but a little beat up from storage. After repairs, I started the final touches but couldn't get the airplane to look right. Looking at Internet photos, it finally dawned on me that the nose was too long. Don't know why. So out came the razor saw to make short work of that.

It's got a really big wing and is pretty light. I changed over to a traditional motor mount and may try to fly this thing.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 10:47pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I think you're going to like the redo...I sure do!!! Gotta build one for sure!!!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 5:54am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

For me, the real point is that this became possible by implementing the many tips and suggestions that you folks have so generously provided. Without them, I suppose I would have continued in blissful ignorance, not even knowing how to do things better! Thank goodness for the Internet that allows us to share and learn in ways that simply wasn't possible before.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 9:23pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

All I can say is. WOW!

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 2:25pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Update on the H1 rebuild/recover. In the before and after pics, you can see the fuselage work...scalloped formers, added stringers, rebuilt cowling. I'm not satisfied but it's better than before and I'm learning a bunch!

H-1_001.jpg (49 KB | )
H-1_001.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 11:20am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Work in progress.

The cowling needed a lot of modification. Since it had been planked with 1/32, there was only so much I could change w/o requiring considerable rebuild...so I added stringers and sanded till the cows came home. Not perfect by any means but better than before.

Basically doubled the fuselage stringers and scalloped out the formers. Made the tail a symmetrical airfoil. The original mounted the rubber on a wire brace than was not accessible. Added the conventional side mount and will add an access panel on the bottom.

One thing I found out...25 year old tissue is fragile stuff!! I don't plan on doing anything to the wings...other than patching all the holes where I grabbed on to it too hard! I'll spray it with Krylon to toughen it up a little.

h1_a.jpg (75 KB | )
h1_a.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 9:23am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

With my projects nearing completion, I got tired of looking at the H-1 and its flaws. When I made up the plan some 25 years ago, I had the cowling wrong as well as the horizontal stabilizer. I didn't use enough stringers on the fuselage (at least to my eye) and I hadn't scalloped out the formers.

So I stripped the fuselage, added some stringers, beefed up some others, and started sanding things smooth. Quickly I realized that I had used CA in building the model, and in addition had used plenty of it. Consequently, the stringer/former glue joints are essentially globs of plastic that are hard to get rid of. I have a nice file set from Harbor Freight that was really cheap but works great for modelling and should help out in this.

I had brush painted the fuselage with silver dope. I'll redo it in Esaki and spray it with my nifty new Paasche H1 airbrush that Tom recommended.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 4:18pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

He set some great standards that the aircraft industry still follows....flush rivets for one!

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 4:08pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Sky9pilot wrote on Mar 28th, 2018 at 12:43pm:
I've always like the Hugh's H1.  It's on the "To Do" list but you know how that goes....so many planes so little time! 

I look forward to this redo.  Such a sleek looking aircraft!
Tom

I was unprepared to see the airplane up close. It is no exaggeration to liken it to a work of art. My wife had to remind me to close my mouth!

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 12:43pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I've always like the Hugh's H1.  It's on the "To Do" list but you know how that goes....so many planes so little time! 

I look forward to this redo.  Such a sleek looking aircraft!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 11:03pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I think I will strip the tissue off the Hughes fuselage and try to do a better job after sanding out the formers.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 9:22pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for showing us those nice pics Alfakilo!   Smiley   A great comparison of different shapes!
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 9:34pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Sky9pilot wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 9:27pm:
Thanks for sharing these beauties! I like the looks of all of them.  The brushed on finish is outstanding.  I'm sure they brought back many fond memories!
Thanks again for sharing them with us!
Tom

It's easy to see that I hadn't heard about the 'starving horse' look yet!! Thanks for your tips on how not to make these mistakes!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 9:27pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks for sharing these beauties! I like the looks of all of them.  The brushed on finish is outstanding.  I'm sure they brought back many fond memories!
Thanks again for sharing them with us!
Tom

IP Logged

Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:54pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Went into the basement today and dug some stuff out that are years old...70s to early 90s. I was in the USAF back then and these somehow made it thru a bunch of moves.

The Hellcat is a Monogram Speedi-Bilt converted to U-Control. That's a Cox 020 in the nose. Probably my oldest surviving balsa model, 40+ years.

The Hurri is an old Guillows kit from the 70s.

The Travel Air and GeeBee were built from Cleveland plans in the early 9os. Back then, I was hand painting with dope.

The Hughes H-1 is scratch built. I had visited the air museum in Washington DC where the actual airplane was on display. An absolute work of art. So I put pen to paper and this is the result, unfinished and a little beat up in places.

Hurri.jpg (60 KB | )
Hurri.jpg
H-1.jpg (49 KB | )
H-1.jpg
Hellcat.jpg (58 KB | )
Hellcat.jpg
Hurri_001.jpg (60 KB | )
Hurri_001.jpg
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print