Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using Krylon (Read 197 times)
Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 12:37pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Sky9pilot wrote on Apr 11th, 2018 at 1:03am:
...and as the old saying goes, "Keep it 12 inches away from the surface and light coats!"Tom

Indeed!

I think I was more concerned by what I thought was even coverage than how that may result in excessive overspray, resulting in puddles, etc. Next time, I'll use quick sprays and use several to ensure an even coverage.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 7:15am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

I stay away much further than that and spray into the air and wave the parts through the mist. Definitely takes much longer and is a bit wasteful but beats tearing off the covering and starting over. Just curious however why the choice of Krylon for the final coat? You have actually hit on one of the better coatings although I usually see people use Future but at our level, acrylic is acrylic, just comes down to what works for you and looks best.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 1:03am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

If it's the least bit cool outside I'll sometimes put the rattle can in a pot of hot water for 10 or so minutes.  Then shake it real good and as the old saying goes, "Keep it 12 inches away from the surface and light coats!"

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Apr 10th, 2018 at 4:55pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I decided to finish off a project with a coat of Krylon. I didn't do a very good job, too many runs and puddles.

Not that I wasn't trying to avoid this, but it happened anyway. OK, more care the next time. Use a lighter coat and keep further away from the plane. As I found out, easier said than done.

I did buy another item, Aleene's Acrylic Sealer Spray from WalWart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aleene-s-Acrylic-Sealer-Spray-Matte-6oz/22026893

Smaller can but less forceful spray. I found it easier to use and will stick with it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print