Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine keeps breaking off (Read 308 times)
Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 10:39pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Another option might be 1/32" or 1/16" ply epoxied to the firewall with the appropriate hole shape in the plywood.  This would make a pretty strong mount.  Would probably break the motor key off the motor before breaking the firewall.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 11:22am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I was going to suggest what Craig has, it sounds like a good idea.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 5:36pm

Balsa Bandit   Offline

It can take more nose weight. In fact, subsequent to the picture, I've glued some washers on the inside of the engine piece to trim the CG forward.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 5:09pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Maybe you could try laminating multiple sheets of thin, yet hard, balsa cross-grain (like a piece of 3/32" or 1/8" balsa plywood) & then cutting the disc from that? How does the airplane balance? Can it stand a couple extra grams of nose weight?

IP Logged

Apr 15th, 2018 at 3:44pm

Balsa Bandit   Offline

I'm trying to do trim flights on the Dumas Ryan M-1 I built and have a recurring problem- the engine keeps breaking off when it lands on the nose.

The Dumas kit attaches the engine with a flanged wooden disk that fits through a shaped hole in the 1st former and then locks into place with a twist. You can see it in the picture.

When the plane lands on it's nose, however, it instantly breaks that flanged disc and it's back to the building board. I don't want to fix the engine in place permanently because the hole in the center is too small to get the rubber motor through easily.

Any tips?

BB

IMG_5450.jpg (231 KB | )
IMG_5450.jpg
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print