Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alternatives To Using Dope To Seal Balsa (Read 400 times)
Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2018 at 2:34pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Sky9pilot wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 6:18pm:
I tend to use thinned white or carpenter's glue.  It does tend to raise the grain some but a light sand and second coat usually takes care of that!
Tom

That works good! Also tried Minwax Polycrylic and it seems to produce more of a dope-like finish than Future.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 6:18pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I tend to use thinned white or carpenter's glue.  It does tend to raise the grain some but a light sand and second coat usually takes care of that!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:43pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

I use Model Masters Clear Gloss acrylic. It soaks in well. After its dry, couple of hours, I sand with 400 or 600. Just run the sand paper over the frame lightly and Ta-Daa. No stink and water clean up.
Mark

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 12:21pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Several approaches can be found here: Click Here
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 11:10am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

pb_guy wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 10:01am:
I have used it to seal balsa, but it takes many coats with light sanding in between.
ian

That's what I'm seeing. I'm only trying to prepare the area for spraying with acrylics, not trying to get a glassy look. That being the case, do I still need multiple coats?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 10:01am

pb_guy   Online
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

I have used it to seal balsa, but it takes many coats with light sanding in between. Thin the future with Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) about 40:60 future:alcohol. It can take up to 10 coats to build up a truly good sealed surface. Try it on a small piece of wood first to see if you like the results.
ian

IP Logged

Apr 24th, 2018 at 7:34am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I'm looking for a dope replacement and am trying floor polish (Future). I've tried the forum search here and HPA and really haven't gotten a good feel for the stuff.

The prevailing opinion seems to be to use Future as an overcoat for the model once its built, similar to how folks use Krylon. But can it be used to seal balsa as sanding sealer/dope is used?

I've tested Future on balsa but am unsure of the results. I haven't seen the rough feel that we get when using dope and Future doesn't have the grain filling solids that sanding sealer has. Can that be improved by adding talc as some suggest when using plain dope?

Regarding Krylon...I've read suggestions of spraying Krylon into a bottle and then using it as a brush on dope. I may try this technique as soon as I can figure out how to spray into a bottle without making a mess!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print