Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Magna-Board Building Board Project (Read 446 times)
Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 6:35pm

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

I have used both methods. Since i can get sheet metal for free (when i remove old steam boilers) Amazon ordered magnets.
It is a learning curve. Since my wrist and thumb fusion i put the board up and went back to pins but once i gain strength back i will use the magnet system on my bigger builds.
Its all what you get use to and like. I did make some jigs for the magnets which were a big help but the same for my pins to.
In the end we just keep building Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 7:10pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Sky9pilot wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 6:45pm:
There is a learning curve for those of us used to the pins and ceiling tile building boards.  There are a lot of pluses as well, when it comes to building those box fuselage structures.  The magnets do help in keeping things vertical. Tom

That was my initial impression. Useful to hold things in place and potential to keep formers and box fuselages true. The model that I was trying these out on was relatively small and consequently, the formers were relatively close together. So close as it turned out that the magnets reacted to each other.

If I had kept to using the magnets, then I would have had to slow the building down to avoid "fratricide" between the formers. I didn't want to do that and so went back to pins and building board.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 6:45pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

There is a learning curve for those of us used to the pins and ceiling tile building boards.  There are a lot of pluses as well, when it comes to building those box fuselage structures.  The magnets do help in keeping things vertical.  Just a hint, if you go to one of the big box home supply stores they have an assortment of smaller  and various shaped cabinet magnets for holding the doors closed.  I bought a bunch of long narrow ones and their ability to hold things in tight places and not so attracted to the other magnets.  You might want to give them a try!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 1:32pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

When I saw this idea a few months ago, I went right out and got the board and magnets. I was surprised at the strength of the magnets, and I didn't appreciate how that would affect my build.

Word to the wise. Be very careful about how close you get these things to each other. When they are close enough to attract, they do it with a vengeance and woe be unto anything in their way Cheesy

Maybe there is a learning curve here but I was too put off to give it a try. I went back to my pins and building board.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 1:39pm

cometkid46   Offline

Albuquerque, NM

Now, I can move the free flight building board around my workshop and bring it back to my large, motorized building board with other, larger projects pinned to the homasote surface.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 1:34pm

cometkid46   Offline

Albuquerque, NM

Here's a close up showing the magnet is about 1/32" off the shelf board - thanks to the thickness of the Scotch clear mounting tape - allowing you to pull the magnet away more easily before you use it. [Those magnets supplied with the Magna-Board are very strong! Smiley]

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 1:30pm

cometkid46   Offline

Albuquerque, NM

I'd ordered the Little Richard kit from Easy Built and started my use of the board. I found that the melamine coated board has the advantage of resisting damage from spilled glue and dope. The Scotch mounting tape raises the edge of the sheet metal enough to allow easier grabbing of the magnets before using them to hold down parts. I keep them handy around the edge of the board.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 1:13pm

cometkid46   Offline

Albuquerque, NM

Easy Built recommends waxing the sheet metal. And this was the final step.

Paste_wax.png (383 KB | )
Paste_wax.png
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 1:11pm

cometkid46   Offline

Albuquerque, NM

I found this mounting tape to be ideal. Alas, I needed two rolls of it to tape to the shelf and created equally-spaced "lanes." This tape is aggressively tacky and once mounted you will find the sheet metal is pretty much permanently mounted. The good news is that the sheet metal is evenly supported and there are absolutely no "dips" or "valleys" anywhere.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 1:06pm

cometkid46   Offline

Albuquerque, NM

With a robust handle bolted to each end in the border area, it is now time to mount the sheet metal surface.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 1:04pm

cometkid46   Offline

Albuquerque, NM

I decided to keep the bolt heads flush with the bottom by drilling with a 3/8" forstner bit and getting the depth just right with my drill press. It's nice when things come together.  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 12:56pm

cometkid46   Offline

Albuquerque, NM

Moving around the store, I visited the section with hardware for drawer pulls. I wanted something white and found this inexpensive drawer pull. Two would do nicely.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 12:49pm

cometkid46   Offline

Albuquerque, NM

The shelf is heavy but I show it with the Magna-Board XL positioned. There's a nice amount of border which I found helped with lifting the supplied magnets. (More about that later.)

IP Logged

Jun 2nd, 2018 at 12:42pm

cometkid46   Offline

Albuquerque, NM

I decided to get back into free flight. The first thing was a building board that I could re-locate off my homasote board as needed. Recalling that Easy Built Models sold such a board with magnets, I ordered their XL model 13.5 x 32". They advised to mount it to a Medium-density fibreboard (MDF), and so we trekked to Lowes. A good friend advised I look for a shelf coated with melamine. My wife never gives up and so we found a great solution - Melamine MultiPurpose Shelf under the Blue Hawk brand. It measures 36 x 15 3/4". I reasoned that this would give me a border to attach some sort of handles and other stuff.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print