Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Magna-Board Building Board Project (Read 611 times)
Reply #21 - Today at 1:01am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Tom, stated the how on the Bruning plan and I also learned something. Maybe now I can tackle the Comet P-37.

Thanks Tom, that was really a big help.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Yesterday at 11:50pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Pres' ribs are made using the root rib shown on the plans then the tip rib is extrapolated from from the root for length and then the other ribs can be made using the stack method.

The stack method
(stack rectangular balsa strips the dimensions of the root rib, using the number of ribs needed, don't forget there's usually two panels requiring double ribs)
is where a root rib template is made from plastic, metal sheet, plywood etc.  Then the tip template is made as the root template.  I recommend holes be made in the templates to hold "T-pins", small diameter screws and nuts etc. to hold the stack together while shaping the ribs from root to tip. 

Math not being my forte, I cheat and enlarge and shrink (as needed) till the proper size is arrived at using MSWord picture where I can grab a corner of the template picture with the cursor and drag to the necessary size using the ruler edges of MSWord to determine the size.  I will then double check on the printed plan to make sure I was accurate.

After all this wordage, here's a link that show how with pictures: Click Here
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Yesterday at 10:57pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

The Gamma plan, for example. Box fuselage but no formers for the box. Wing ribs seem to be conventional but not shown.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6374

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Yesterday at 10:39pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Which plan are you speaking of? Some have cracked rib construction.

Let me know which and Ill look them up to see what I find.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Yesterday at 10:10pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I have a question regarding plans made by Pres Bruning. I like his work but am unable to find plans for things like ribs and formers. Did he publish a separate sheet for items like this and if so, where can I find it. I am considering his plan for the Northrop Gamma.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 5:50pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Tom, thanks for the info. I will start building again as soon as I get the board. It has been long enough.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 4:47pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Bob...Home Depot/Lowes has a number of smaller magnets used to close cabnet doors etc.  You get several in a small package. 

Unless you're gonna build a fuselage longer than 32" you should be in good shape with that size board. Wings can be built in sections so even a 6ft wing could be built on that board but the fuselage length is the limiting factor!!! Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 1:57pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I thought that I would give the magna board a try now that Ive cleaned up the room and no more hospital visits until January.

I remember someone found some small magnets to use instead of the large. I cannot remember where those small magnets were purchased.

Last question: is the 13.5" x 32" board big enough for most build projects?

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 6:35pm

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

I have used both methods. Since i can get sheet metal for free (when i remove old steam boilers) Amazon ordered magnets.
It is a learning curve. Since my wrist and thumb fusion i put the board up and went back to pins but once i gain strength back i will use the magnet system on my bigger builds.
Its all what you get use to and like. I did make some jigs for the magnets which were a big help but the same for my pins to.
In the end we just keep building Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 7:10pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Sky9pilot wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 6:45pm:
There is a learning curve for those of us used to the pins and ceiling tile building boards.  There are a lot of pluses as well, when it comes to building those box fuselage structures.  The magnets do help in keeping things vertical. Tom

That was my initial impression. Useful to hold things in place and potential to keep formers and box fuselages true. The model that I was trying these out on was relatively small and consequently, the formers were relatively close together. So close as it turned out that the magnets reacted to each other.

If I had kept to using the magnets, then I would have had to slow the building down to avoid "fratricide" between the formers. I didn't want to do that and so went back to pins and building board.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 6:45pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

There is a learning curve for those of us used to the pins and ceiling tile building boards.  There are a lot of pluses as well, when it comes to building those box fuselage structures.  The magnets do help in keeping things vertical.  Just a hint, if you go to one of the big box home supply stores they have an assortment of smaller  and various shaped cabinet magnets for holding the doors closed.  I bought a bunch of long narrow ones and their ability to hold things in tight places and not so attracted to the other magnets.  You might want to give them a try!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 1:32pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

When I saw this idea a few months ago, I went right out and got the board and magnets. I was surprised at the strength of the magnets, and I didn't appreciate how that would affect my build.

Word to the wise. Be very careful about how close you get these things to each other. When they are close enough to attract, they do it with a vengeance and woe be unto anything in their way Cheesy

Maybe there is a learning curve here but I was too put off to give it a try. I went back to my pins and building board.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 1:39pm

cometkid46   Offline

Albuquerque, NM

Now, I can move the free flight building board around my workshop and bring it back to my large, motorized building board with other, larger projects pinned to the homasote surface.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 1:34pm

cometkid46   Offline

Albuquerque, NM

Here's a close up showing the magnet is about 1/32" off the shelf board - thanks to the thickness of the Scotch clear mounting tape - allowing you to pull the magnet away more easily before you use it. [Those magnets supplied with the Magna-Board are very strong! Smiley]

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 1:30pm

cometkid46   Offline

Albuquerque, NM

I'd ordered the Little Richard kit from Easy Built and started my use of the board. I found that the melamine coated board has the advantage of resisting damage from spilled glue and dope. The Scotch mounting tape raises the edge of the sheet metal enough to allow easier grabbing of the magnets before using them to hold down parts. I keep them handy around the edge of the board.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print