Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using Humbrol paint (Read 204 times)
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:19pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Questions are always welcome and if you have a question, probably someone else has the same question...so ask away! 

Tissue will always slacken when the finish is applied, but tends to shrink back tight as it dries!  Doped tissue usually doesn't loosen as much as other treatments depending on the number of coats of dope applied.  So don't let the slackening of the tissue dissuade you from painting your S&T models...
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 11:28pm
neoflight   Ex Member

Thanks for then input Tom. I've used Humbrol lacquer based paints for years on my plastic IMPS entries but didn't know if they would work on tissue. If so it would be good as I'm used to their airbrush capabilities. I use a Badger Renegade pro which can lay down a very light but adequate coat when thinned properly. But if it causes sag or wrinkling I want to steer clear. I never knew it could be cut with dope thinner but saw that mentioned in Mike Stuart's post. As I say, I'm new to this type of modeling so I tend to ask redundant questions. Again thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 5:34pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Humbrol paints are hard to come by anymore locally for me, they are apparently available online.  When I used them they were all oil based enamels, looks like they come in acrylic now as well.

Most time when someone mentions thinning it's because they spray the paint using an airbrush.  The amount of thinning varies due to airbrush and paint pigment being used.  That's kind of a hit and miss proposition.  I usually thin until it sprays how I like it on a test board before applying it to a model.  I'm starting to use Dr Martins India Ink more and more now days.  Sprays well, cleans up easily and can be mixed to many different hues.

As far as using dope thinner, that usually means it's being applied to a compatible base that won't be affected by the dope thinner (usually means they doped the tissue to seal it).  If you use something else to seal the tissue, make sure you test it on something other than your model to make sure your base won't be affected.  Dope thinner and most enamels don't mix, like laquer thinner and enamels.
Just make sure your base finish will react well with the paint and thinner you use!!!

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Jun 14th, 2018 at 12:19pm
neoflight   Ex Member

I've noted that some modellers use Humbrol paints that are thinned with dope thinner. Anyone familiar with this procedure and ratios used? Thanks
Neo

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print