Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23
Send Topic Print
2018-2019 Fall Cookup Whitman/Ott &/or Peanut Scal (Read 8333 times)
Reply #261 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 4:20pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Airbrush is the plan, Alfredo...but had to cut the grass today...got a 1/2 acre of the stuff...not the smokin' kind.  This yard is kickin' my butt nowadays.  Soon will be covered in snoooowwwww.  Already is up on the mountain.

Also...to activate my airbrush...I gotta clean the work bench...this process gets more involved all the time.  Anything that I have to get off my pratt...is involved...and requires planning. Grin Grin Grin

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #260 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 3:33pm

Alfredo Arbe   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Airbrush wd be great for that Ki 30 camo Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #259 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 3:26pm

Alfredo Arbe   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

New Builder wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:32am:
Quote:
I suspect he makes it look easier than the process really is for the neophyte

Neal - A bit late on this but, when Alfredo showed his triplane with foam turtle deck I tried it and failed. Couldn't decide what was wrong until now, he dropped a bit of a hint that diluted white glue to seal the foam was the answer. Back to the trials.
Mike

Enjoying all builds!
white glue must be diluted to "almost milk" condition, let the ( already 150sanded) foam to absorb a generous amount and then apply the "pre wet" tissue section" before last diluted white glue layer dries off ( so inmediatly). Then , is important to go watching some tv, have dinner, go to sleep and dont even look the ongoing drying process!
Its important to let it dry naturally Smiley

I also wd like to take a look to the "atemps" that would be good to improve my advice.

I probably make it look easier than it really is...but its really quick once u get the trick at least.

Well , keep me informed!

any progress on that F6F?

wd enjoy to receive pics and comments in my watsapp 59898907134

IP Logged

Reply #258 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:16am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looking very good!!! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #257 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:13pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

ANNie now has skin...covered, nose to tail.  Time for some manner of camo...green splotches topside.  I think we've rounded third.... Cheesy

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #256 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:34am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Progress is our most important product.

Some of us are old enough to remember this - thanks GE.
mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #255 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:32am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
I suspect he makes it look easier than the process really is for the neophyte

Neal - A bit late on this but, when Alfredo showed his triplane with foam turtle deck I tried it and failed. Couldn't decide what was wrong until now, he dropped a bit of a hint that diluted white glue to seal the foam was the answer. Back to the trials.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #254 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 10:18pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Great Brad! And another peanut!
The progress may slow on the Bonanza for awhile. Life has again intervened. But this is the progress on the wing. I built in 3/32 washout at the tip, using 3/32, 1/16 and 1/32 shims where appropriate. One booboo placed an upper rib stick incorrectly, but it was easy to fix.
ian

Wing_Layup5.jpg (55 KB | 2 )
Wing_Layup5.jpg
Wing_Layup6.jpg (85 KB | 3 )
Wing_Layup6.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #253 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:19pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Welcome, Brad!  Good to have you along....

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #252 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:14pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Great builds everyone!!  This cookup looks like fun.  I'm going to join in and build a Taylorcraft BC-65.  The plans are for a 20 inch span and I will scale it down to 13 inches as a Peanut.  This will be my first high wing plane  Smiley

Taylorcraft_01.jpg (104 KB | 4 )
Taylorcraft_01.jpg

It's much easier to ride the horse in the direction its going.
IP Logged

Reply #251 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:13pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Good approach Ian...thanks for the thought.  I considered that approach...but decided that if I was going to paint the wood...might as well paint the tissue...six of one, half dozen of the other...comes out the same.  I too have done the "sharpie trick."  Sharpie" and dope definitely don't like each other.  So there are pros and cons.

Thanks again for the ideas, Ian.  ANNie's gonna be a war-weary "haggard ol' girl" by time things are done with, splotches, dents, and stains.   This is supposed to be a WAR BIRD! Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #250 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 12:42pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Neal, I understand the problem of the bones showing through the covering, and I am wondering if painting the structure before covering might make it less obtrusive. When I speak of painting, I mean watercolour paints, or sharpies, or felt markers. The weight of those colors would be minimal. I use sharpies to colour tires and struts, etc. with negligible weight gain.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #249 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 12:03pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Ok...ANNie...been workin' on covering the dreaded wing-root area...complicated by my working on an already joined fuselage and wing.  Shocked  It is very time consuming to do it this way...but the resultant product means..."ain't no gaps."  Look for the positive...Grin Grin Grin 

Hey, the rest is a piece o' cake!

Covered the cowling, cockpit area, and wheel pants in a darker grey...attempting to offset the "bright" wood underneath.

"Progress is our most important product."

Neal

Ps...If you've never heard of or read about The Niihau Incident...look it up...check it out...great story.

IP Logged

Reply #248 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:30am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Smiley I certainly wouldn't worry about that weight, Alf...because the aesthetics of your model more than offset anything else.  She really is a honey.  As a matter of fact, I look at those bones and think that if it were seriously enlarged...you'd have the makings of a terrific scale rc ship!  Crank in some dihedral and presto...you could fly her on 2 or 3 channels!  So she's a "big-boned girl," so what...she's still a beauty!

If one builds for serious free flight...imo...there go all those great aesthetics.  It's tough to build for both flight and display...requires some real sacrifices.  To attain both is to be a master modeler...imo. Wink

Your model is a beauty...you should build it to YOUR satisfaction...as you are doing. Smiley

Neal

Ps...I might add, there is so much about you model that really is intriguing...like the wing spar, ribs, leading and trailing edges...great stuff, Alf.

The first time I saw your model...that upper wing has a similar shape to a German DFW B1 from WW1...very striking...moth-like.  Nice work, Alf. Smiley

No...haven't seen that program...will have to look into it. Thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #247 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:15am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

MKelly wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 11:50am:
AK that looks really cool.  Very nice woodwork on the fuselage and tail surfaces.  If you have a scale please post the weight of the bones.
Mike

Here's the boat anchor so far!

vale_build_10.jpg (153 KB | 2 )
vale_build_10.jpg
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23
Send Topic Print