Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34
Send Topic Print
2018-2019 Fall Cookup Whitman/Ott &/or Peanut Scal (Read 14250 times)
Reply #442 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 6:48pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Neal's suggestion is good.  I usually use scrap strips of stringer material to keep the panel off the table so air can circulate under the wing also.  A little crayon or candle wax helps keep them from sticking.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #441 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 4:46pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Kerak wrote on Nov 10th, 2018 at 4:00pm:
Smoooooth, Alf...lookin' great!  Suggestion...lay some waxed paper down on your building board...and pin that wing as it dries (upper surface)...do one side at a time, of course...to compensate for the dihedral.
Neal

You did mention doing one rib panel at a time to avoid warps...a technique I should have followed. Despite pinning everything down, I still got a huge warp, probably because only the top had been sprayed with the water mix. So I unpinned, resprayed both top and bottom and then repinned to let dry (no hair dryer short cuts!). The result was a big improvement.

Lesson learned, however. I'm doing the other side one rib panel at a time. 

Good luck with the stringers!

IP Logged

Reply #440 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 4:00pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Smoooooth, Alf...lookin' great!  Suggestion...lay some waxed paper down on your building board...and pin that wing as it dries (upper surface)...do one side at a time, of course...to compensate for the dihedral.  DON'T DO A NEAL...BE PATIENT.  Wink  Best of luck!

Looks terrific, Dan...got some "brown tissue?"

And now for my Vanguard...I've heard this is exactly how the original was designed...some old dude fiddling around.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Here's a Vultee propaganda shot...if that photo isn't posed...then never has been a posed photo!  Loading the ammo trays while some tech runs the engine up...while wearing headphones, no less...and chocks pulled!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #439 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 1:26pm

93rdLiberator   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Wow...these are some great looking builds, All! Wink

I got a bit more done on the Austin-Ball.  I'll work on the top later tonight...Cheers!
Dan

IMG_3551.JPG (161 KB | 2 )
IMG_3551.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #438 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 12:38pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Info on covering something this small. Neal and others have offered tips and I've tried to put them to good use.

The tissue is domestic wrapping paper from Michaels or Hallmark. I used my plywood vacuform frames for pre-shrinking, one is about 8" square and the other about 5". Glued the paper down with Elmers and sprayed with 50/50 water /alcohol. The tissue tightened up nicely.

To cover the stab and tail, I left the tissue on the frame. I put the frame over a sheet of balsa about the same thickness as the frame allowing the tissue to lay flat. Then applied Glue stick and pressed the stab/tail piece down on to the tissue.

After cutting out the pieces, the tissue was still pretty taut on the frame allowing me to use it again for the bottoms of the wing and the fuselage (see first pic). I did the wings on the frame and cut out pieces for the fuselage.

The 1/32 wing ribs are so narrow that they are difficult to attach tissue to and so I added a thin 1/32 rib cap as shown in the third pic. I'll try to do the top in two pieces, the main wing and then the wing tip.

cover_1.jpg (22 KB | 2 )
cover_1.jpg
cover_2.jpg (25 KB | 2 )
cover_2.jpg
cover_3.jpg (21 KB | 1 )
cover_3.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #437 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 9:41pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Lookin' goooooood, Mark!  Wink

The Vanguard is one of those mystery aircraft that no one really has much, if any, historical data...at least in Chinese service.  A lot of "Sunday morning publishers" want to claim they do...but their credibility is suspect.

If there is any credence to this photo...the P-66 did indeed serve the Chinese Nationalist Air Force.  As to it's service record against the Japanese...?  Story goes that they were so sorely needed, they went into action while still sporting U.S. markings!

Second Photo...Chinese markings...at the ready.  Note the RDF antenna fitted below the wing center-section.

Neal
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2018 at 9:33am by Kerak »  
IP Logged

Reply #436 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 6:01pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Ian, I've always liked the P66. I have a 1/24 card stock model, that I haven't finished ( go figure ) and built a Diels laser cut kit. The Diels Kit went together very nice. Sorry, just noticed Neal's building the P66. I wonder what ever happened to the ones shipped to China. Scrapped I'm sure.

Getting closer. This thing is small.

Alf, there was a basket case of a Monocoupe floating around here some where, I wonder if it's still available. Would be quite a challenge to restore. Awesome airplane, no VNE.

Mark

image_277.jpeg (303 KB | 3 )
image_277.jpeg
image_278.jpeg (296 KB | 1 )
image_278.jpeg
IP Logged

Reply #435 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 5:24pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Mike:  thanks for the kind words.  You'll notice I didn't take any photos looking down a straight surface  Smiley  It's not horrible, but I really didn't focus on quality.  Like I said, I want to toss this plane into the air.

My trim is black tissue applied with easy dope.  The lettering is horrible - my worst job ever!!! jaggy edges, etc.  The number is from the book Anthem and is part of the name of the main character "Equality 7-2521". 

I'm hoping to fly this weekend and I will try to get some video - good or bad - and post a link next week.

Brad

It's much easier to ride the horse in the direction its going.
IP Logged

Reply #434 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:23am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Monocoupe looking good! Gets a bit more finicky when building little things.

I ran across this pic of a Vanguard in British colours from the October 1941 issue of Air Trails. See: https://rclibrary.co.uk/title_details.asp?ID=2334
ian

IP Logged

Reply #433 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 11:05pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Monocoupe progress, things clipped together with much yet to do. Differences so far, a thin 1/32 x 3/32 trailing edge instead of a 1/16 square, wingtips, stab, and tail are laminated 1/32 instead of 1/16 sheet. Undecided about the cowling area, thin sheeting or bond paper? Never have liked how paper responds to moisture.

mono_1.jpg (50 KB | 1 )
mono_1.jpg
mono_4.jpg (158 KB | 1 )
mono_4.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #432 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 3:35pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Wing completed.

Vultee, like many other aviation designs of the time, attempted to cowl-in the radial engine of the prototype Vanguard...with the resultant cooling issues.  Focke-Wulf attempted the same thing with their prototype Fw-190.  Solution was to go to a more conventional open cowling configuration.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #431 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 3:03pm

New Builder   Online
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Comet Nickle kit Monocoupe

Alf - Wow, 10 inch wingspan, curved longeron and no spar. I'm watching. Will be great as always I'm sure.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #430 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 3:00pm

New Builder   Online
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Not the prettiest or the straightest

Brad - I've got a very different perspective and think it came out just fine, in fact, beautiful. Nice and straight. Can you comment on the trim and registration numbers?
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #429 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:13am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Nice Taylorcraft, Brad...gonna fly great!

Well gents...I'm slowing down on this build...more like mired in sluggishness.  Still...committed myself with a wee bit of building...empennage.  Next will be the wing.

Vultee launched the Vanguard as part of a concept project during the late 1930's.  The idea was to design and construct various sub-assemblies that would be common to multiple aircraft types for ease of manufacture.  The idea was to use the same empennage and main wing structures in several related models, a basic trainer, advanced basic trainer, and finally in an actual fighter combat aircraft.  The project was labeled "48," it's entire expense being funded by Vultee, no involvement with the War Department.  Project 48 was never intended for consumption by the United States military establishment, but instead directed toward export abroad.  Vultee was all too aware of the difficulties of elbowing its way into competing with the preferred "big boys" within the War Department lexicon.

To that end, approximately 150 units of the 48C were manufactured to fill an order placed by Sweden...who were very much aware of the desperate situation their neighbor Finland was in against the Soviet Union.  Just as delivery was about to commence, FDR slapped an embargo upon any war materials destined for Sweden, lest it be used to assist Germany.  The USAAF took control of all 48C's, dubbing them P-66 Vanguards...ultimately shipping them to China via India to assist the AVG.  Vultee constructed no more Vanguards...the Army considering them as being unnecessary and the Curtiss P-40 mission adequate.

The P-66 was very much comparable to the P-40, 340mph max speed, by many accounts, lighter in overall weight and a delight to fly.  Operationally its armament consisted of two .50cal mg in the fuselage and two .30cal mg in each wing.

Unlike the Navy's treatment of Brewster however, the Army did extend some "love" toward Vultee by accepting the advanced basic trainer of Project 48, officially naming it the BT-13...of which 11,000 units were delivered between 1939-44...to the USAAF, USN...and the USMC.  In effect, the empennage and wing of the Vanguard lived on.

Neal

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:44am by Kerak »  
IP Logged

Reply #428 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 6:18pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Very nice! I hope my Monocoupe looks half as fine as this!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34
Send Topic Print