Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
2018-2019 Fall Cookup Whitman/Ott &/or Peanut Scal (Read 1734 times)
Reply #64 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 2:59pm

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

Just got my plans printed out today. Know I am having a hard time deciding witch one to build.
Paul

IP Logged

Reply #63 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:50am

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Thanks! That's an obscure one I wasn't aware of. Should be an interesting potential build!

IP Logged

Reply #62 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 9:20pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looks good...it was NAA's attempt to make a fighter in the 30s.  I think the USAAC confiscated the batch intended for Peru and turned them into fighter trainer aircraft designated P-64 (derived from the NA-50 & NA-68)... 
This is the spiffy-ist one I've seen, found in the EAA Museum ... Click Here
Tom
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2018 at 12:03pm by Sky9pilot »  

P-64.jpg (85 KB | 1 )
P-64.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #61 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:28pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

OK, fellers- maybe this needs to be in the Mystery Plane thread, but it looks more Curtiss than North American to me. It's been hanging around on eBay for a while. Any thoughts?

s-l1600.jpg (203 KB | 0 )
s-l1600.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #60 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 9:21pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Since we do not start until September i will start a Veron Coupe after my Elmedorf Special is finished.

I finished a list of a/c that interest me  for the cookup, but I cannot make up my mind.

Fairey Fulmar
Brewster F2A-1
North American O-47a
Albatross 36in
Caudron C-460  27in
Skymaster  24in
Bellana Cruisemaster
Hawker Hurricane
Boeing B-17
Martin Maryland
Fairey  Battle

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #59 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 1:20pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

I believe that I would like to commit to a building effort of a Joe Ott Airabonita, with a possible conversion to a Bell P-39 Airacobra.  More significantly, I truly intend to attempt employment of "crackerbox materials" in construction of fuselage formers and various wingtips, etc.  Maybe it will be successful...and maybe not...don't know, but every time I've ever gazed upon the beautiful blank cardboard of a cereal box...or crackerbox...I've wondered what use could be made of it.  Here's my opportunity to find out.  I suspect the weight of materials will add up in a hurry...sobeit.  Looks like fun to me.

And, in the spirit of General Horatio Gates...being lame (down boys)...I'll be getting a head start (Battle of Camden, 1780).  Grin Grin Grin Grin  Just kidding.... Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #58 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 10:53pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Bob thanks for having us over - it was great to meet you in person and see some of your models including the Mustang from last winter's cookup.  Look forward to your next builds and getting a chance to fly together!

Thanks again,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #57 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 5:36pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I had a visit from (2) S&T members today after their competition. I had a great visit and learned a few things and got the building bug again. I will blame them for the clean up, movement of wood to the work bench, and the rummaging through my pile of plans.

All in all a great day.

Bob
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2018 at 11:42pm by bigrip74 »  

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #56 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 6:05pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I followed it too Ian and he does mention that he didn't quite have it balanced at the CG that I supplied him with.  I hope to have a bit more success, as we all do when we build models, forever optimist we Free Flight Modelers are!!!!  Gabby said he saw it fly very well, of course David Aronstein is one of the masters in Free Flight (Always Capitalized) modeling.  I'm still hoping and very optimistic...if not it'll look great!

I've also decided against the B-25 and decided to go with Ace Whitman Mitsubishi "Jack" J2M2 been wanting to build one of these for a long time.

IP Logged

Reply #55 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 4:12pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

I followed the build of that SR-71 peanut on HPA. The model perished in flying from what I recall. Does anyone have the original plan? It seems to have been copied from some newsletter of some kind and little bits are cut off. I am considering Dick Howard's peanut F7F, or perhaps Joe Ott's Ercoupe.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #54 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 2:04pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Still trying to decide on the Ott plan but I've found a peanut scale SR-71 (gotta have a jet) pusher to build for my Peanut choice.   Cheesy Grin Wink

found this re: Peanut Scale models=
Back To The Sticks
(the fun is still there)
By Bill Hannan
Peanut Scale History
Before World War Two, models in thee United States were marketed in “lines” arranged according to wing spans, rather than specific scale reductions. Thus, a given span model was usually in a given price range . Common groupings were 36 in., 24 in., 16. in. and 12 in. This smallest grouping was probably the most popular, since it was the least expensive, and the majority of the customers were youngsters of quite limited means.

Believe it or not, these ‘”one-footers” could be obtained in kit form for as little as ten cents (Megow’s were 9d. (3 3/4p) in Britain), and this included the following:

Full-size printed plan
Balsa stripwood
Printed sheet balsa
Machine cut balsa prop
Propeller hook
Brass thrust washers
Rubber
Hardwood wheels
Hardwood thrust button
Coloured tissue
Tiny tube of glue
Nose block
Celluloid for windshield
Today, ten cents will just about cover the cost of two strips of 1/16 in. square stripwood!

When Dave Stott and Bob Thompson of the Bridgeport, Connecticut,  Flying Aces Club were composing the rules for their new Peanut Scale event, back in 1967, they began by examining sets of plans from these pre-war kit models. At first, their rules specified a 12-in. span, with a plus and minus tolerance, to allow for inevitable variations in man-made products. Then, after the event had been tested, it was discovered that a number of the plans were available in old magazine that were almost 13 in. span. Thus, the limit was raised to 13 in., with the firm provision that no additional stretching would be tolerated.

Originally, the rules called out a lower limit also, but this segment was eventually dropped, as few contestants cared to build anything smaller than necessary. Thus the upper limit was frozen, where it remains today, and has gained world-wide acceptance.

SR-71.pdf (130 KB | 14 )

IP Logged

Reply #53 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 9:11am

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

Cool!  I will build the DVlll Ott.  I was going to go thru my plan collection  but it will be quiker for me just to down load it Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #52 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 10:33pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Shipwreck...yep any Ace Whitman/Joe Ott plan or if you're into something smaller a Peanut Scale of your choice from our plans Click Here S&T Peanut Plans, HPA's Builder's Plan Gallery, or Outerzone's Plans "Peanut Scale is any plan that is a 13" span or smaller plan".  Whitman/Ott usually have a much larger span. 
I placed a list of the Whitman/Ott plans available on Outerzone for free under the Cookup board title to make the list more available than looking through all these posts. Click Here for list
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 9:37pm

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

if i'm correct. we can chose a model to build from the plan list.
I was thinking about doing the Fokker D8. Always been a favorite one of mine. I build a sterling version about 15 years ago and it flew ok. Like to try agine and see if my building skills have inproved.... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #50 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 8:34pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

On occasion, I have had some items that I purchased packed with some corrugated cardboard that is about 1/16" thick. I keep a couple of pieces in case it comes in handy. I have used it to make a wing jig. It would probably be a great substitute for the old thick bristol board.
ian

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print