Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flat RAF rigging for biplanes (Read 282 times)
Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 9:20pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Mike,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I'm really glad to hear of your success.  Thank you.

Gary

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 11:39am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Hi Gary - I saw and replied to your PM and greatly appreciate your offer to help. As I mentioned in my PM to you, I located a Vaping store here in town and have copied your pictures and will take them there and see if they stock any of it. As to the border crossing, all parcels leaving and arriving are xrayed for content and given that Amazon U.S. has declared they will not ship to Canada and Amazon Canada has run out of stock and will not be getting any more tells me there is a cross-border problem So, given all that, I'll try to run down the product here and see where it goes. Thank you again for your efforts and I'll let you know where it all goes.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 11:39am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Mike,

No reason why we cannot step up to the plate and help you out.  I, for one, will be more than happy to order up the Vape strips and send them off to you.  What's we say everyone?  Just PM me and we can go from there.

Gary (Skye)

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 11:34am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Mike,

No reason why we cannot ship the Vape metal strip ourselves.  Are there any custom restrictions?  If not, I'll be glad to step up to the plate and ship a "few" rolls.  Just PM me and we'll go from there.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:24pm

New Builder   Offline

Hi Gary - Just a quick note about the wire. Checked Amazon Canada and is out of stock with a note that they are not sure if or when it will be restocked. Checked Amazon U.S. and they will not ship it to Canada. Amazon U.S. says it will be stopped at the border but no other explanation. So thanks for your diligence and I will keep looking for a source.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 2:06pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Mike,

Thank you for those wonderful compliments.  I thrive on those ( as I'm sure many of us do too).  I used those  half-round .060" Evergreen strip plastistruts on my S.E.5 with very good results.   It was the closest  I could find, or come to getting, the RAFer flat wires with a small amount of airfoil cross-section. 

Now the search continues for clevis ends and turnbuckles in our scales ......As of this writing, I'm (still) using .060" brass tubing cut to short 1/8" lengths as either turnbuckles or clevis ends.  Bob's Buckles are nice, but in reality are small brass tubings with wired hooks on either end.   After that, I think I'll find inner peace.  Wink 

Thank you very much Mike.  I've seen your contributions in so many areas and I wish to extend my compliments to you as well.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 7:29am

New Builder   Offline

I remember our exchange when I was building my Ryan and the closest thing was Evergreen half round. It was very close and easy to use but this looks like the winner. Thank you for your dedication to the scale modelling group.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 2:14am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Gentlemen:
Just received their .8mm sized Vape metal strips and I've gotta say, this is by far the closest we'll get to flat RAFer rigging for our scale.  They're very easy to work with and in scale fidelity and will not pose any stress on the fragile stick-n-tissue type aircraft for those who wish to go the distance in detailing their builds.  This is great!  I've enclosed a few photos of my hand holding the.8mm for comparison and also having the .4mm & .8mm side by side.  In the pictures, the .4mm is on the right (shiny) and the .8mm is on the left.  This is excellent!!  I ordered the 50' roll in the .8mm and received the 100' roll instead.  Good deal.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 11:46pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Best part?  They also come in various sizes!  HeeHaww!  Really cheap.  I'm going to buy at least two other sizes.  This one is the smallest and will work for models 1/12th scale and slightly smaller. Only need to purchase small brass tubing from Hobby Lobby or online and using a X-Acto #11 blade, just roll it back and forth until it cuts.  Just have a box or something at the end to catch all the flying tubes.  You can either solder or glue.  If only I had a biplane right now.  I'm working on the Mustang, sooooo,,,,,

Glad you appreciate it!  Took me four years.....

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 8:12pm

Craig 3   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Excellent! Almost the Holy Grail!

IP Logged

Jun 21st, 2018 at 12:33am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Good evening fellow members:  I posted this similar message on the Question thread, but not sure if it's proper place.  So, I'm posting it here.  For those who are more inclined to super-detail their models to replicate the real article (as my S E. 5 build thread will show) I've finally discovered through a fellow modeler, that all-elusive flat RAFer rigging wire that I've tried to use/fabricate, find.  Incidentally, RAFer wires stand for Royal Aircraft Factory 'er wires as they were the first to come up with this flat airfoil-shaped wire that is more resistant to whipping in the wind as the airplanes became faster and faster during the middle stages of the first World War.  Anyway, I've pulled my hairs out trying just about everything under the sun to replicate such rigging including -but not limited to: cutting up disposable baking pans using a paper guillotine blade (the strips curled up and the edges were extremely sharp, ask me), cutting up thin glossy paper strips (it was somewhat successful on my Guillow's PT-17 that is enclosed in one of the pictures here), taking brass wire and running it through a "beading machine" which consists of two rollers pinching the wire into a flatten wire (it zigged and zagged all over the place and wouldn't stretch out for anything) and finally purchased some samples of expensive flat wires from a Swiss company that demanded it be compensated only by Swiss Francs, or International Cheques Hmmmmm....  Anyway, here are some pictures that I think will be of value.  The flat wire is used in Vape.  That's right.  You can order this Vape wire from Amazon through their catalog.  I got a 100' roll for only $8.50 plus free shipping.  I've also included a card from the manufacturer.  It's very lightweight and easily malleable and you can stretch it taut without any undo stress on the fragile frames. You can be assured that I'll be building at least twenty models for years to come.  Hope this helps.  Skye

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print