"BOX STOCK" SE5 (Read 958 times)
Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 12:54am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Howard,

You're not alone in the missing woods department from Guillow's.  I too, found that I was missing the leading edge to the Mustang wing and had to resort to retrieving some from my stash.  Apparently Guillow's  has some issues maintaining a consistent list of parts.  I'll write to them and call it to their attention.  May actually help out.  We'll see, as I've corresponded with them before on a friendly basis.

Gary

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 11:50pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

I only had two hours more to work on it.  Got the empennage, landing gear legs and lower wing done.  Since I will have all day tomorrow I should have it framed covered and assembled tomorrow night.  The trick will be to get it rigged and test flown on Saturday.  FAC requires full rigging in this class.

Had a couple of problems with the kit.  Most Guillow's kits have an instruction booklet to aid in construction and point out any peculiarities in the particular kit.  The booklet, if there was one, is missing. No real problem though since the plans have notes and I have years of familiarity with the Guillow's manner of doing things.  I don't think many modelers think of it, but one of the real values of Guillow's kits is consistency.

The other problem was that the kit was short two pieces of the 1/8" X 3/16" material used for spars and leading edges.  Instead there was a piece of !/4" X 1/4" stock that has no use in this kit.  Fortunately, I have some 1/8" X 3/16" in my stash.  There is no room for mistakes with the amount of strip stock supplied.  The piece of 1/16" X 3/32" stock at the tip of the Exacto knife in the photo is all that was left after I finished the stabilizer and tail.

I used the right angle tool, again, to make sure the ribs were upright.

More tomorrow night,

Howard
(kittyfritters)

Se-5-10.JPG (103 KB | 8 )
Se-5-10.JPG
Se5-9.JPG (88 KB | 12 )
Se5-9.JPG

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 3:37pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Tom,  It's a Guillow's kit.

I had 15 minutes between coming home from dropping my wife at work and leaving for a dentist appointment so I decided to do the other side of the fuselage. I used some laminated blade tools from one of my kits as guides to make sure the other half of the formers were in alignment.  They happened to be in my building supply carrier but crafter's Popsicle sticks work just as well. I clamped them to the already aligned former with clothes pins, laid the half former against the guides, used a small Scuncii hair clip to clamp it down and applied glue.  I find that the little Scuncii hair clips make very useful low pressure clamps.   I finished the other side in 15 minutes and left for the dentist.  Hint: half height formers are easier to install if you do it after the side keel in installed.

After the dentist and running a few errands it was time for lunch.  Made the post while eating lunch.

More later today,

Howard

Se5-6_small.jpg (201 KB | 13 )
Se5-6_small.jpg
Se5-5small.jpg (217 KB | 13 )
Se5-5small.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 11:44am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

KF:
Congratulations on your S.E.5!  Got a special place in my heart (& build thread  {Under Super Detailing S.E.5}) for this biplane.  If you need any documentation or just wanna share, I'll be here for sure!!

Gary

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 11:38am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

KF...who's kit is it?  This looks very nice!!!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 9:21am

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

coming along well. thanks for sharing.
shipwreck

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 6:40am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

CA glue certainly does speed things along. I have started using it for fuselage parts as you did but use pva for all else.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Jul 11th, 2018 at 11:26pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

There is a local FAC contest (Squadron 69) this Sunday for WWI (Mass Launch), Embryo, and Half Wakefield.  I have my own Embryo, and have no plans to build a Half Wakefield, but thought I had a qualifying WWI model. (Let me rephrase that comment about the Half Wakefield.  I have several plans for them I just don't plan to build one.)  Anyway, I found that my ancient WWI model was in no condition to be restored, let alone fly, so I decided to build a new one for the contest.  I had a #202, SE5A, kit on the shelf so I decided to build that "box stock" (Will have removable nose block, more aggressive prop, reinforced landing gear, F.A.I. Tan rubber, and colored tissue but other than that stock.) for the contest.  While it's not the most competitive choice, they fly much better than one might think and, I've seen them do quite well in competition.

I started it about a half hour before I had to leave to pick up my wife this evening.  I was using a right angle tool left over from one of my kits for alignment, odorless CA glue, and kicker.  The photos show how far I got.

More tomorrow,

Howard
(kittyfritters)

SE5-1_small.jpg (226 KB | 8 )
SE5-1_small.jpg
Se5-2+small.jpg (216 KB | 0 )
Se5-2+small.jpg
SE5-3_small.jpg (245 KB | 10 )
SE5-3_small.jpg
SE5-4_small.jpg (212 KB | 17 )
SE5-4_small.jpg