Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Blitz! (Read 739 times)
Reply #26 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:11pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looking very good...you did choose a challenging subject with the elliptical wing and all!!  You've done a fantastic job.  I'm sure she'll be a good flyer.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 8:49am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Update on covering.

I'm using the light grey tissue from Hobby Lobby. It is not as fragile as some domestic tissue and can be applied 'wet', meaning slightly damp. Too much water makes it seem to tear easier. I use a 50/50 water/alcohol mix.

The elliptical wing is a triple whammy when it comes to covering. It has curves in three directions, a relatively pronounced camber (curvature of airfoil), a tapering rib thickness out to the tip, and a leading and trailing edge that is changing. The only straight lines in the wing are the spars!! The top of the wing is more of a challenge than the bottom. I found that this made covering large sections kinda iffy, at least for my abilities.

So I chose to cover the top in sections and bit the bullet on workload. Overall, it went well with only having to redo two sections that had minor wrinkles. I used an Elmers glue stick on the bottom where I could cover larger panels. On the top, I tried a couple of adhesives and settled on using a brushed on thinned white glue (Elmers or Tacky Glue).

I put the tissue on 'wet' on the bottom, but went dry on top, seemed to work better.

In the pics, the left side shows the wing fillet with the spackle showing. The right side pic shows the fillet after a light coating of grey acrylic followed by the grey tissue. Not great by any means, but better.

Next, I'll finish the rest of the fuselage in grey and then begin the black tissue. More later.

1_he70_cover_2.jpg (19 KB | 3 )
1_he70_cover_2.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 9:53am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I used MinWax Poly as a sealant and it does cause the spackle to take on a slightly darker color, about the color of light balsa as you said.

I haven't had any cracking problems at all.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 9:11am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks, Alf.  I used to use spackle during my rc days on planking to eliminate seams...but have never used it on an SnT model.  After you mentioned the spackle being white (as was mine on my rc ships) I had to look really close at your Heinkel...'cause the photos make it look almost the same color as the balsa...thought it was some sort of wood putty at first.  Looks very nice.  Have you had an issue with cracking as it dries?

I've found the same problem with large balsa areas showing through light tissue...and have also used paint to prepare the wood for the overlying tissue.  Even a light coat of very thin paint on the wood helps immensely.

Really sweet Heinkel, Alf...everyone who builds knows how challenging all those flowing curves and fillets are. Superb job! Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 8:23am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Kerak wrote on Aug 8th, 2018 at 10:46pm:
Alf...what are you using for fillet material...looks really good.Neal

Thanks, Neal!

It's lightweight spackle from Lowes. I thin it out a little so that it can be dabbed in small places. Drying time is pretty quick depending on how thick it is. Once its dried, it's reasonably sturdy and sands easily.

For this fillet, I added some light 1/16 stringers to make a foundation, nothing fancy, just something for the spackle to stick to. Once its dried, I apply a coat of sealer (EZ Dope, or MinWax Poly).

One thing I noted here...the spackle dries white. I am using the light grey tissue and it is fairly translucent, so the spackle shows through and doesn't look good. Not a big deal if I was going to paint, but I am planning on not painting. As a fix, I brushed on some light grey acrylic on the fillet areas. I'm hoping this will tone down the white appearance when that area is covered.

With previous models (P-56, YO-43) using darker tissue, this wasn't a problem, but this light grey allows everything to show thru, warts and all!!

1_a_spackle.jpg (51 KB | 2 )
1_a_spackle.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 10:46pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Alf...what are you using for fillet material...looks really good.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 1:55pm

rfe3   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Germany

Thanks for that, I might have to put this one on my To-Do list

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 1:18pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I used two Google references for a plan. One was a German model plan that was fuzzy at best. The other was a 3-view that I found of more value. I was able to enlarge the 3-view to the desired wingspan and still have a sharp image.

http://www.model-plans.co.uk/czech%20plans/Heinkel.htm

http://aircraftdrawingsdownload.aircraftpaintingschemes.com/files/he70.pdf

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 12:41pm

rfe3   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Germany

Wow, really nice set of Bones, this is going to be a beautiful Model. The photo of the Hungarian model with the Radial Engine also looks great. Where did you get the Plans? On this Forum?

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 10:35am

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Always good to check the cg as you progress.  To lighten up the empennage, you might want to wrap a dowel with some 220 grit sand paper and judiciously sand the tail feathers to lighten up the tail of your aircraft.  A little goes along way in this area!!
Sky9pilot
P.S.  the balance jig I found many years ago and it's not original with me...I just passed it along.  Gotta give credit where it's due...probably a modeling magazine back in the 70's Wink

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 9:29am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

One other item. I used SkyPilot's CG balancer to check the model as is figuring that doing a 'pre-balance' now will make things easier when it come to checking the glide.

This thing is really tail heavy using a typical CG location. I'm using golf club adhesive weights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EUYPF8I

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 9:16am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Excellent work on the cockpit combing, blended and smoothed perfectly. I vote for the gray ink, will darken the tissue without making it too opaque. Anxiously awaiting the outcome.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 8:33am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Just about ready to cover. I'm going with the grey/white scheme. Not yet decided on how I'm going to do the 'grey'...use white Esaki and leave it as is, spray with grey acrylic, or maybe look into spraying with a grey India ink. Comments/suggestions very welcome!

Been slow while I was trying to work out a way to have an adjustable horizontal stabilizer. Also the wing fillet and cockpit combing has taken redo's.

1_he70_x.jpg (24 KB | 1 )
1_he70_x.jpg
1_he70_y.jpg (35 KB | 3 )
1_he70_y.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:32am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Agree with Neal, your work is first class and coming together nicely. Looking forward to another great covering job.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 11:51am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

I have to say Alf...really nice work on the gull-wing...she's beautiful.

Neal

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print