Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Corsair Swing Flyer with u-control (Read 629 times)
Reply #28 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:15pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

My fly pole was two piece about 10ft long!  I think it might have worked well for light models.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #27 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:11pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Sky9pilot wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:06pm:
I wish I'd kept my fly fishing pole.  It was long and very flexible.  Best of luck with the new pole.
Tom

The bamboo pole and this new fishing rod is about 6 1/2 feet long. I do wish it was longer.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:06pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I wish I'd kept my fly fishing pole.  It was long and very flexible.  Best of luck with the new pole.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:06pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Once I had the new thinner line hooked up to the new fishing pole. I moved onto plan B for the Corsair. Plan B was, to hook up the line attached to the end of the pole, to the down elevator.  The down side remains a fixed length. Then I ran an independent line from the up elevator back, and down the eyelets of the pole. And tied a loop in the end of the line. And hooked the loop around my right hand fore finger. The idea is to relax your finger to let the plane go down. And bring it in for up elevator. The idea kind of works. You can hold the pole with 2 hands now, if you want. And also, you can stop spinning and hold neutral elev, and spin the pole behind you. And now, because the pole is so much easier to handle this way, you can feed in up elev, and easily follow thru with the pole, and do a large loop. Come out of the loop, relax your finger a bit, and level out. It takes a lot of steam to do all this. Speed is also part of making the elevator work better, DUH. I used solid sheets to build this Corsair, because this is what the attached pictures show. I am starting to wonder, if a lighter plane would work better. Like a No Cal design, with an enlarged elev. It would take a lot less steam to keep it going. I'm going to need a friend for pictures on this one Tom. It takes all the steam this old man has to keep this one doing maneuvers. I will say this so far, single line tether is much easier. Plan C to come.

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 1:38pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Tried the new fishing pole with 2 of my single line tethers. To my surprise, it was almost exactly as long as the bamboo pole I had. Kind of was hoping it was about a foot longer. It is though, easily half the weight. Worked just great with the single line tethers. Takes less steam to keep things flying.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 1:07pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well done Dave!!! 
I look forward to pics of them at work, the pole and Corsair... Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 9:50am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Jackpot. Stopped in a flea market this morning, and I could not believe it. It's about a foot longer than the bamboo pole I have, and easily half the weight. Best part of it, $3.00. Also, I have a plan B to come for the Corsair.

100_0620.JPG (40 KB | 7 )
100_0620.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:17pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I think you've discovered why Al used a single line for swing flying and then he experimented with the flight pattern from there.  I've never done any swing flying and I'm definitely going to have to give it a try.  Sold all my fishing poles in my move to TX and so I'll have to find a "Blue Light" special fishing pole to experiment with! Cheesy Wink

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:23pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Finally had a chance to get controls on it. Had an old handle with string already on it already, so I rigged it up. Gave it a test flight. Learned a lot, but none of what I wanted to learn. If your rt handed, and use the rt arm to hold the pole, and the lt hand to work the controls, that does not work. If you use your lt (weaker) arm, to hold the pole, and your rt hand to work the controls, it feels a lot better. But now your putting all your steam to keep it flying thru your weaker arm. When I fly single line tether, I can switch between arms. I really do not know how to put my flight experience into words. Basically, I was not impressed. I enjoyed it much better as a single line tether. Up control really did not do anything. And I could see the elevator pointing up. Maybe I was not following thru with the pole correctly. Maybe the airplane needs to be lighter. Maybe the lines need to be shorter, but then you need to spin faster. If the lines were longer, now I am going to need more steam. I do wish I had a nice fishing pole, instead of a 6" piece of bamboo. I'm going to sleep on it, and see if any ideas come up. But to be honest, at this point, I enjoyed it as a single line tether much more.

100_0619.JPG (110 KB | 7 )
100_0619.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:02pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Just thought I would re post these pictures so they are a part of this post.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 10:07pm

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

Thanks Dave!
Plane is looking good! That is a cool picture from what I can see. Not sure on the year.
Paul

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 5:08pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Paul, hope your hand gets better soon.

Installed the control horn on the elevator, and the lead out guide on the wingtip. Installed an extra large mounting block for the bellcrank, for room for adjustments. In reality, it could probably be half that size. Decided to put landing gear on it, because it just looks cool when flying. Also thinking of putting gear doors and bombs on it. Decals, wheels, bellcrank, leadouts, and test flights next.

Found this way cool picture at a flea market this weekend, of the Denny Drone. The sign on the left side of the photo, under the rt wingtip of the airplane says. (High school graduates, now a radio career is possible). The armband on the guy says, (recruiting service). The transmitter is right below the prop. The parachute door is open on the plane. Looks like it was in a car dealership. Dodge and Plymouth signs are in the window. Wonder what kind of car that is at the far left of the picture? I imagine if I knew the year make of that car, it would tell if it was before or after the war. Just thought it was a really fun part of history for a whopping $1.00. The sign on the front of the platform says, (U.S. Army Recruiting Station). When was the Air Force formed?

100_0618.JPG (128 KB | 11 )
100_0618.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 5:34pm

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

I here ya Dave,
My hand is slowly getting better but can not hold down balsa wood to cut it. Also back to working longer days ya know life stuff....lol
Hope you get some time interested in seeing it when your done.
Paul

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 3:24pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

shipwreck wrote on Jul 27th, 2018 at 1:31pm:
DAVE Q wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 4:32pm:
And it flies. Now move onto the control horn and linkage.

Hows it coming along Dave?
Paul

Paul, hoping to get some time this weekend to get back on her.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 1:31pm

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

DAVE Q wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 4:32pm:
And it flies. Now move onto the control horn and linkage.

Hows it coming along Dave?
Paul

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print