Send Topic Print
Vacuform Tip (Read 32 times)
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 10:15pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Alfakilo...nice job and good find!

The height of the box doesn't need to be very high.  Just high enough to accommodate the vacuum hose.  Actually the thinner the height the more effective the vacuum will be.  If you have a bakery or supermarket with a bakery look at the clear plastic boxes for cupcakes, muffins, cookies,etc. Once heated the embossed logos disappear usually.  I get a lot of canopies from these boxes. 

Gotta build me a new vacuum form box soon.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Sep 7th, 2018 at 2:32pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

While we can make spinners, etc out of colored plastic, we'll probably want clear plastic for canopies. The stuff is expensive and I was stuck with left over plastic that was too small to be used for other projects.

I needed something smaller where I could get more than one object out of a sheet of plastic. I was browsing thru the local Hobby Lobby and found a cheapo (about $3) small wooden box that works great. I mounted it to some scrap wood for stability, drilled some holes in the top, cut out a hole for my ShopVac, and made a plug holder out of a piece of balsa and a screw.

Because it's small, about 5x5, the plug holder needs to be about 1" high, otherwise the plastic sheet will not fit. Here's a pic with a spinner plug attached:

vacuform_box.jpg (49 KB | 3 )
vacuform_box.jpg
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print