Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Storing CA Glue (Read 86 times)
Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 11:03pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I have been storing my CA in the fridge since 1969. It keeps for quite a long time this way.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 8:45am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

AK - Thank you for the link and same here, more wrong than right. Interesting to see storing with the cap off in a desiccated environment would work, so I'm off to locate some desiccant and start doing things correctly. I was part of the way there by using a small mason jar but beyond that...
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 3:24am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I found this helpful:

http://www.caglue.com/Frequently-Asked-Questions-about-CA-glue-from-Satellite-Ci...

I had the same problem with CA glues that didn't seem to "work" very well. What used to set up quickly wasn't anymore. I was using the typical Bob Smith Industries thin to medium gap filling types.

I asked the hobby shop folks who, as it turned out, didn't have a clue. The info in that link was much more helpful. It turned out that I was doing more things wrong than right.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 3:43pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

My experience is that CA doesn't like hot weather.  Also exposure to air cause it to kick off/harden, so it needs to be capped right after using.  I quit buying the big bottles a while back, I found the small tubes at the Dollar Store usually three tubes in a pack for a buck!  That's just me.  When I lived in Texarkana, TX the hobby shop there did keep the stock of CA in the refrigerator during the summer hot and humid weather. 
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Sep 18th, 2018 at 8:29am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

I've read several topics on storing CA glue and had some conversations with the local hobby shop on the topic but no real consensus. Just the other day my thin CA stopped curing as quickly as it had a few days earlier the went into a thick mess and then dried completely. I have been storing my CA in the refrigerator in a small mason jar and waiting for it to reach room temp before using but the old bottle was on my table for about five days. May have been at the end of its life anyway but got me thinking about storage methods. Anyone out there have some thoughts?
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print