Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nakajima Ki27a Type 97 Army Fighter (Read 605 times)
Reply #22 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 11:21am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Google "Brewster Buffalo Colors". I found quite a bit of info there while researching the prototype.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 9:38am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Alf - Thanks for the picture. I had been looking on Wings Palette for Buffalo pics but nothing I cared much for but this one has some real promise. Thanks again.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 9:57am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

The GAF was still flying the 104 when I got over here in '72.  I still have a mind's eye view of a auto trip up past Limburg ad Lahn where two 104's flew UNDER a bridge that I had just driven onto!

I suppose the maneuver was classified as "low level training" Shocked Cool Roll Eyes...  As we say here, AFFEN GEIL Cheesy!

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:28pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

thanks Alfakilo for the links...brought back some fond memories...the sounds of freedom!!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 6:32pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Sky9pilot wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
Love the 104 and the howl that the J79 (I believe) engine was distinct

The "howl" was unique. We had to do a brief engine run-up before takeoff and the howl was very noticeable then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GcfZXqPJf4&t=136s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bru7QeFQtCo

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 6:21pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Kerak wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:30pm:
I recall some of the "hooey" that surrounded the Starfighter...but undoubtedly, you're far more familiar with it all than I.  The thing that sticks in my mind today is that the Luftwaffe seemed to have some serious problems flying it!  The word "benign" describes what the Germans were used to in aircraft performance (apparently)...not ready for prime time. Neal

I was an instructor in the German training program in Arizona, both initial and Fighter Weapons School students. The GAF experience was somewhat unique as far as accidents are concerned. Other European air forces had far fewer accidents. But the GAF got the jet first and had to figure out to go from a subsonic airplane (F-84 and F-86) to a Mach 2 airplane. Bad weather, short runways, maintenance problems, low altitude flying all played their part. But the GAF eventually figured it out. The F-104 was an amazing thing to fly, particularly on the edge of the envelope.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 3:40pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Love the 104 and the howl that the J79 (I believe) engine was distinct... Got several pictures of visiting NASA 104's flying into McCellan and Beale AFB's. 

Great performance, fun to watch and photograph.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:30pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

I recall some of the "hooey" that surrounded the Starfighter...but undoubtedly, you're far more familiar with it all than I.  The thing that sticks in my mind today is that the Luftwaffe seemed to have some serious problems flying it!  The word "benign" describes what the Germans were used to in aircraft performance (apparently)...not ready for prime time.  Hartmann was calling the 104 a killer and Steinhoff was trying to maintain good relations with his benefactors...politics and diplomacy again.

I admire your "war fighter" skills, Alf...the minute you entered your "office," you were "on the job" with the Starfighter...took real skill and training to operate that machine at top efficiency. Smiley  It certainly was no "Sunday flyer." Wink Mental lapses were not the "order of the day."

And today...yep...it's the safety record of the Germans that predominates.  Huh  Amazingly, for such an "unsafe aircraft," the F-104 continued operations for a long, long time...retired as of 2004!  As of the last time I was at the Smithsonian...there was a NASA Lockheed F-104 hanging from the ceiling, white with blue trim...beautiful.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 10:46am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

No chain-pulling, just a pic with the two aircraft that you have been discussing.

I understand your comments about wide-spread stories about aircraft that may or may not be factual. Back in the day, I flew the F-104 and can say without any doubt that more hooey has been written about that jet than probably any other aircraft, and most of it is the most uninformed, ignorant baloney you could ever lay eyes upon.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:03pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Yes I DO, Alf!  The Brits were anxious to get hold of any combat aircraft by 1940...and so with a rye smile, the War Department (Navy) gave the OK to send Buffalos to Europe (Britain, Belgium, France, and Netherlands)...long story...shipped to Malaysia, Burma, Indonesia...where they (export Model B-339 this time) actually performed well against the Japanese NATE...was faster and nearly as maneuverable.  Problem...insufficient numbers...it's all history.  Meanwhile, the Navy had the underpowered and overweight F2A3 on Midway in 1942...NOT good...a 1935 design over-modified (armor plate, self-sealing fuel tanks, added fuel capacity, all with no power increase)...and NOT used to advantage...against...the ZERO!

You pulling my chain, Alf?  Grin Grin Grin  Thanks for the interest.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:45pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

I thought Neal might enjoy this!

buff_vs_nate.jpg (57 KB | 6 )
buff_vs_nate.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 1:33pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

I'm looking forward to seeing your Buffalo again, Mike.  The Brewster Buffalo is a subject near and dear to me...for a number of reasons, but primarily because it was an outstanding aircraft in its original iteration...but for reasons of the Navy Department's efforts at sole-source contracting...the Buffalo came to a very "dark ending" in this country...as did Brewster Aircraft for that matter.  It's all too common today to read where "pulp writers" regurgitate the claims of the Navy's denigration campaign of the 1930's...as if it's fact.  It is not.  The Navy Department "bent" all the contracting rules to favor development of the Wildcat...which initially was an abject failure against the Buffalo in competition (Brewster was NOT supposed to win!)...while suppressing similar development of the Brewster aircraft.  It's interesting that the F2A1 in it's original configuration was an outstanding success as the export Model B239.  The Navy got what it wanted by destroying Brewster in favor of Grumman.  The "hackneyed" story of "the worst fighter of WW2" continues to this day...but don't you believe it.

I suppose I should add that following Air Force and Army service, my "civilian career" was on the "inside" of the defense contracting process.   CoolOk...enough.  Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:38am

New Builder   Offline

It's sitting just to my right as I write this and right you are, now I'm able to pull canopies so will do one for the Buffalo after I get the Hellcat done.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 10:13am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks Mike...recall your peanut Buffalo...looked good...you stopped short of a canopy...should be no problem to "pull" such a little item...finish 'er up.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 7:41am

New Builder   Offline

Neal, I admire your abilities and 'stick to it' building. I've built only one peanut (Buffalo). It came out OK but started something in me to try again, but too many builds I want go after. Great work and I love watching your builds. Keep up the good work.
Mike

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print