Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DTs- actrivitated by radio control (Read 226 times)
Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 4:13pm

Ed OBrien   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Manchester, CT

So what do you think? To keep this in context I am primarily thinking of occasional sport fliers or potential new comers. Especially those without ready access to the wide open spaces we had in the past.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:47pm

Ed OBrien   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Manchester, CT

staubkorb wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 9:40am:
Had a brain furz where I mentioned the class that the Mini Maxer belongs to.  At 23" span and no landing gear it is too big for Embryo.  Getting any kind of radio into that model would still be very difficult - if not impossible - and still have room for rubber.  A DT would be a very good idea in any case.

Yep, that is a problem. I was planning on adding a small "pod" or bulge on the bottom of the fuselage. Or if desperate, on top of the fuselage under the wing. Being careful to maintain wing incidence. Not a perfect solution but it might get me in the air and on the way. Either way, I kind of muck up the looks of the design.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 9:40am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Had a brain furz where I mentioned the class that the Mini Maxer belongs to.  At 23" span and no landing gear it is too big for Embryo.  Getting any kind of radio into that model would still be very difficult - if not impossible - and still have room for rubber.  A DT would be a very good idea in any case.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 1:33pm

Ed OBrien   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Manchester, CT

staubkorb wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 5:30pm:
The Mini Maxer is more of an Embryo class model and a 4 gm servo is really too heavy.  There are much lighter servos in the 1.5 - 2.4 gm range that are more than adequate.  One has to also take the battery weight into consideration.   An all-up weight of approx. 3 grams is to be expected.

Spektrum (Hanger 9/Horizon Hobby) and Orange (avail thru Hobby King), both systems on the DSM2(X) protocol, have this type of gear that operate with a single-cell LiPo.

Actually, the lightest and still reliable DT system for small models is the rotary Viscous or "Button" type that weigh next to nada and are not that hard to set up.

That is good information. Thanks.  I have also contacted the AMA to see if a radio controlled dethermalier equipped model qualifies as a Park Flier. There reason I am interested is so that I can pop the dethermalizer if I am in danger off going into the trees. A preset DT involves more guess work than I can handle. Of course using a rudder might be the ultimate solution. The curse of a smallish field.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 5:30pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

The Mini Maxer is more of an Embryo class model and a 4 gm servo is really too heavy.  There are much lighter servos in the 1.5 - 2.4 gm range that are more than adequate.  One has to also take the battery weight into consideration.   An all-up weight of approx. 3 grams is to be expected.

Spektrum (Hanger 9/Horizon Hobby) and Orange (avail thru Hobby King), both systems on the DSM2(X) protocol, have this type of gear that operate with a single-cell LiPo.

Actually, the lightest and still reliable DT system for small models is the rotary Viscous or "Button" type that weigh next to nada and are not that hard to set up.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 8:32am

Ed OBrien   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Manchester, CT

Now I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:27pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Sorry about that Ed...
E-Flite makes a series of RC park flyers of various types of aircraft that have what many term a "brick"   receiver/speed control/two linear servos in one package (block) some 4 to 6 channels.
Here's a link to see what I'm talking about: Click Here

Here's a link to see the models the gear can come in: Click Here
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 6:56pm

Ed OBrien   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Manchester, CT

Sky9pilot wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 4:52pm:
I know lots of fellas are using E-flite bricks that are receiver/servo combinations that are very light for these applications... Not sure but sounds like you could get away with that combo you've mentioned.  How about it fellas any further insight for our fellow modeler?

Does "E-flite" refer to a specific company, or is it a generic modeling term? I went to the E-flite web site but found it unlike any other I have visited. I decided that given my low-level of computer savy, I would leave that one alone.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 4:52pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I know lots of fellas are using E-flite bricks that are receiver/servo combinations that are very light for these applications... Not sure but sounds like you could get away with that combo you've mentioned.  How about it fellas any further insight for our fellow modeler?

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Oct 8th, 2018 at 3:42pm

Ed OBrien   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Manchester, CT

So I live in Connecticut, not quite free flight heaven. My preferred flying field is a primary school field, surrounded by trees on 3 sides with the parking lot, playground and more trees on the remaining side.

My son has suggested using a dethermalizer. I added the R/C bit. The question is is a 4 gram servo, 2 gram receiver plus a small battery and switch too much for something like the Sig Mini-Maxer to haul around? I could build something as big as  P-30 but anything else is definitely out of the question. Although something in the 20 - 24 inch span is more to my liking.

Sound reasonable for an experiment, or am I asking for too much out of the gate?

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print