Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo
 
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  
 
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tempest Tantrums (Read 175 times)
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 11:35am

MKelly   Offline
Senior Member
Helotes, TX

Posts: 580
****
 
Thanks Tom, Mike.  Video of the Tempest rebuild with trim flights and WWII mass launch at Gainesville TX is up.  Post-contest inspection showed that I hadn't got the knot all the way to the back of the motor, and that I hadn't trimmed the rubber ends close enough to the knot.  Result was the last inch or so of the motor binding up near the peg, upsetting the balance and spoiling flights when wound to high torques.  I'm going to make a couple of motors (more carefully) with cross sections from 1/2" to 3/4" and experiment a bit more to find a good balance between torque and motor run duration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXVYQKrp2dw&feature=youtu.be

Cheers,

Mike
 
IP Logged
 
Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 7:25am

New Builder   Offline
Senior Member
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Posts: 739
****
 
Mike - You are definitely the master of recovery. Very nice work and congrats on your placement in the meet.
Mike
 

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged
 
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 3:44pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Posts: 10050
*****
 
Great job on the repair and printed tissue!  Looks fantastic.   Smiley
 

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged
 
Nov 12th, 2018 at 9:34pm

MKelly   Offline
Senior Member
Helotes, TX

Posts: 580
****
 
A couple weeks ago I tried a new prop on the West Wings Tempest and put it on a roof.  The local security guards were nice enough to retrieve it, but the wing and tail got crunched in the process (I bought them each a twelve-pack anyway, I was just glad to get the model back).

I'd been thinking about trying to lighten up the model, and this was the spark that lit the fire.  I stripped the model, sanded the heck out of the aft fuselage, built new tailfeathers about half the weight of the old ones, infilled the nose and covered the model in printed tissue instead of painting it.  While I was in there I opened out the nose well and made a larger nose block so I could use a 3/4" blast tube.  I'd just finished reading Roland Beamont's wartime diary "My Part of the Sky", so I chose his Tempest as subject for the color scheme.

End result:  the model's flying weight is 11g lighter than before (54g vs 65g before the rebuild) - almost 20% reduction in weight!

I flew it this weekend at the Texas Scale Champs, best flight was 71 seconds, finished middle of the pack in WWII combat.  I flew with the 2x22" loops 3/16" motor I'd been using, but I think this is a little much for the lighter weight as torques over 5 oz-in kinda sent the model into a frenzy.  I think there's more performance to be had perhaps with less cross-section and a bit more length in the motor.

All in all a worthwhile diversion over the last two weeks...

Mike
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print