HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
David G Smith plans (Read 74 times)
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 1:36pm

Ed OBrien   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Manchester, CT

Yes, I found that one also. The plan on Outerzone looks like it might be Mr. Smith's work. But since the plan has been "sanitized" and does not show the original designer's name I am not sure.

This gets curiouser and curiouser. I got started on this quest when reading Bill Henn's article on the G-55 in the January 2004 issue of Free Flight Quarterly which I had recently purchased. In the article he details his modifications to Mr. Smith's plan. The magazine plan shows Mr. Henn's changes to the wing airfoil ("a 10% Neelmeier airfoil") and horizontal stab airfoil ("a 6% lifting section instead of flat"). Plus one other change regarding to fuselage formers, which I did not bother to confirm. The magazine plan also clearly states that "Full size plan can be obtained from David G. Smith." Henn also enlarged it from 23" to 26".

Based on the foregoing, it would appear that the Outerzone plan might actually be Mr. Smith's original 23" span plan.

What about his other plans? I understand that he had drawn several other plans also.

So, I am still wondering if Mr. Smith is still with us and if he still has any plans available. I suppose the disadvantage of retirement is that you can chase things like this.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 12:20pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Found one plan at Outerzone: https://outerzone.co.uk/oldpages/plan_details.asp?ID=263 , a 23" Fiat G.55 Centaur
ian

IP Logged

Nov 15th, 2018 at 11:19am

Ed OBrien   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Manchester, CT

Any one know the whereabouts of David G Smith or his plans?

All I have is his last known address from several years ago. I have sent a stamped, self-addressed envelope but I have neither a reply nor my letter returned as undeliverable.

David G. Smith
6715 Lake Arcadia Lane
Columbia, SC  29206-2241

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print