HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tell me more (Read 152 times)
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 8:31am

subvet   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Colorado

I agree that the line drag is difficult to overcome with rubber power.  From what I've read tethered flight problems were what originally drove modellers to what is today Control Line flying.  It seems electric would be the best for indoor/outdoor tethered flight with a light airplane so I think that is where I'm headed with this.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 6:23pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

You don't want it tail heavy!!!

Slightly more nose heavy maybe than Free Flight.  If you're considering rubber power to fly around a pole then I'd trim for Free Flight (always capitalized).  You may find that it could takeoff but with the additional drag of the line I doubt it's performance. 

"Swing Flying" is another thing altogether.  It's the weight of the aircraft as it is swung around the pole, then altering the swing and angle of the pole determines the flying attitude of the aircraft that has been trimmed to glide.  You'll note that some of Al's full bodied models used nuts and bolts and washers for weight.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 12:32pm

subvet   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Colorado

Wow, several good tips, thanks.  It seems I would want to use more rudder than normal, perhaps balance slightly tail heavy and maybe a bit more power than I would for FF.  The heavier Guillow's kits or scratch builds would help keep the plane out on the line as well.  I imagine a center wing and maybe low wing model with little or no dihedral would be the better choice.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 12:13pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Yes, it is done. A lot of people prefer to do electric powered RTP for longer flight times. However, here is a link for further exploration: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2014142-Rubber-Powered-RTP-(Round... there are about 3 pages of info there.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 12:10pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Start at the first post on this board and you'll see how Al set up his swing flyers.  You need to rig it similar to a control line flyer as far as balance and rudder settings. 

The line, as you'll see, is attached near the leading edge of the wing at the tip.  Al used one line and a long pole either fishing pole or bamboo.  In his later years Al would use old Cox engines (that were beyond repair) to balance his models.  Here's a good thread to look at: Click Here
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Nov 15th, 2018 at 11:45am

subvet   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Colorado

I'm mobility impaired (need to use a 4-wheel walker to get around the flying field) and chasing down a wayward FF is not at all appealing.  Can someone shed some light on tethering a rubber powered FF model to a fixed pole?  Is it hard or even feasible, what about when the plane gets up wind of the pole?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print