Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nitrate dope - alternative brands? (Read 160 times)
Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 4:33pm

Kingbird49   Offline

Old school rules! :-)
Clovis, CA

Huey v77 wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 8:19am:
Just ordered a Qt. of clear taunting nitrate dope for $15 as compared to $15 a pint at the LHS.

Gotta love ol' Otto Korrekt!  LOL

Where did you order the nitrate dope from?  Do you think it's the same stuff they're selling thru the hobby shops?

For what it's worth;  I received my mail-ordered pint of Nitrate dope from Brodak and used it in a trial run that I'm doing of various coverings.  The product worked very well and I had absolutely no issues with it.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2018 at 9:34pm by Kingbird49 »  
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 5:29am

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

My computer, Auto Correction, has a good sense of humor. Grin

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 12:30am

John Webster   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Painesville, Ohio

Could it be that what you ordered was non tautening nitrate dope? Taunting nitrate dope is difficult to apply because of all the insults it produces. Wink

When you begin to fly you are issued two bags, one full of luck and an empty one for experience.&&The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 8:19am

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Just ordered a Qt. of clear taunting nitrate dope for $15 as compared to $15 a pint at the LHS.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 11:11am

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Did some research,  "Dope" has been around since the mid 1800's. There is only one manufacture left.

Finger nail polish is "Dope", which could be used to " Tint" your clear dope. With all the colors available today, imagine ......

Mark

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 10:27am

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Dope's been around for more that 100 years and it still works great......

Nothing has replaced what it does....

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:50pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Last year I started using Sig nitrate when my ancient Aero Gloss ran out.  I've done half a dozen or so models with the nitrate and find I like it very much - it shrinks just a bit as it dries so you'll want to pin or weight your flying surfaces for a day or so, but that shrink gets the tissue nice and tight.  So far I've had no problems with warps developing on the surfaces later as long as I've held the LE and TE flat for the initial drying, oldest model with Nitrate on it is probably about 15 months old.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:17pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Yep KB, Randolph is the only manufacture of dopes, no matter who's label is on the can. It's getting to the point that there are very few people using it on full scale aircraft and the cost is ultra expensive. The "Days are a changing". I still love the perfume it gives off! I'm really thinking of buying a gallon from my supplier.

Mark

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 8:05pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

KB, as far as I know Nitrate is Nitrate. I'm thinking of buying some Randolph from my supplier instead of paying $20 a pint at the local hobby shop. I've used it profecionally on several aircraft. Some 40 years ago, I ran out of dope for a model I was building. While at the airport I asked a friend if he could spare some for my model. "Sure, help your self " he said. 4oz later and a coat of unthinned dope, I left the garage. In the AM before I left for work, check out the finish. UGH! It was a scratch built Smith Miniplane and the wings looked like bananas! I didn't thin it. By the way, you can use Laquor thinner if your out of dope thinner. I ran out of thinner once wile covering a J3 and used good Laquor thinner. It was also cheaper at the time.
I think there's only one manufacture of nitrate and butyrate. Oh, nitrate and butyrate are like Laquor and enamel. You can put butyrate on top of nitrate, but you can't put nitrate on top of butyrate.

Mark

IP Logged

Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:58am

Kingbird49   Offline

Old school rules! :-)
Clovis, CA

Has anyone here tried the different brands of nitrate dope that are on the market?  I'd like to learn about availability and workability for models.

I can't buy nitrate dope locally.  Sig is back-ordered at least a couple of weeks. I've read the Brodak can be challenging to work with unless really thinned.  Randolf makes nitrate dope for full sized airplanes but their product may not be suitable for models.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's tried any of these brands or others that I didn't mention.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print