Send Topic Print
R/N 1912 Curtis Pusher (Read 534 times)
Reply #26 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 3:58pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Thanks Mike.

Neal, NOPE! No such thing as an "Easy Built" model. I built their TBM, never finished it. I picked up their B25, we'll see how that goes.

64 nots later..... Gonna try and make the engine look like an OX5. Had to patch about 15 holes in the wings. Did it Waldo Pepper style. I'll be glad when this is done. I have an Aeronca C3 sitting in the cue. It'll make a good 3 channel R/C, 30" Sterling kit I got off eBay for $30.

Thanks guys
Mark

image_407.jpeg (252 KB | 3 )
image_407.jpeg
image_408.jpeg (244 KB | 3 )
image_408.jpeg
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 11:58am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Great lookin' model, Huey...when you've finished...I have an ancient Easy Built kit of the Wright Flyer that you could help me with.  Wink Cool Shocked  Seriously...you're doing a terrific job...very labor-intensive!  Wonderful effort!

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 11:25am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Welcome to the display section. Glad you changed your mind about flying this terrific airplane. So well done and your progress is great. Looking forward to the rest of your progress.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 4:15pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Tom, would you mind moving this to Display Models. To make this a R/C model is beyond my expectations. I've decided to make it a wall hanger.

Making an OX5 mock up. This is a difficult model to build. I can't imagine putting a full scale version together.

Now the challenge is to finish it.

image_406.jpeg (278 KB | 4 )
image_406.jpeg
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 9:38am

New Builder   Offline

Huey - agree completely with Tom ,this is coming together very nicely. And thank you for the process, I'm sure I will find a place for that methodology but for sure will file it away in the neat methods file.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 6:08pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mark...WoW this has really come together.  I see your approach is really working well!  Those fittings are outstanding.  Thanks for sharing the process!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 11:35am

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Mike, here's a general idea. Razor saw, small files, small drill bits, sand paper and needle nose pliers. I drill a hole where I want it. Keeps the saw from cutting in the wrong place. Cut a vertical slot from the edge to the hole. Then cut thru the tube only as far as to make the tabs. For 90deg tabs cut thru 3/4 of the tube. Bend the tabs out and clean up the edges with sand paper or a file. Drill holes where needed, make sure to bebur the holes.
For my tail booms, I'm planning on using beer can material, my favorite beverage, to make straps where the vertical supports attach.
I worked at a company, Titan Aircraft, building 3/4 P51 Kit planes. I made parts from scratch that were then added to the plans and made into production parts. Built 3 of the damn things. Repaired 4 or 5 of them. Also accumulated 400 hrs in the prototype. So working with aluminum comes second nature.
Hope this helps. Smiley

Mark

image_351.jpeg (258 KB | 5 )
image_351.jpeg
image_352.jpeg (215 KB | 4 )
image_352.jpeg
image_353.jpeg (161 KB | 4 )
image_353.jpeg
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 7:49am

New Builder   Offline

Very nice work and have to know how you formed the strut tubing. I'm thinking you did some surgery on an aluminum tube to get the mounting points? Any tool pointers, directions?
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 4:12pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Thanks for your input Tom. Here's where I'm coming from. My intention  is to make fittings that attach to the wing, not the struts. All the struts are "Floating "and not glued in place. Coming from the full scale world where fittings are attached to the spar, I want to pull on the spar rather than the bottom of the struts.
Having tied to the fittings, I twist and tweak. Heat the line with my iron. It's amazing at this scale how rigid it has become. Now to the fuselage, what there is of it.
Heavy fingers. Ala, "Waldo Peper", I'll need to cut a piece of shirt tail to patch this hole.

image_347.jpeg (328 KB | 4 )
image_347.jpeg
image_348.jpeg (296 KB | 5 )
image_348.jpeg
image_349.jpeg (290 KB | 5 )
image_349.jpeg
image_350.jpeg (288 KB | 5 )
image_350.jpeg
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 4:52pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Just a suggestion for the next one...unless you undo all the rigging.  Try building a jig to hold the wings steady while adding the struts.  When they are all in and the wing is dry and straight without any warps/twists, then add the rigging. Several options for jigs using various material: balsa, foam board, etc.  I might cut out a rectangle of foam board with the rib patterns cut out to hold the tips and a piece to fit at the center between the two wings.  Just a thought.  Once the jig meets the desired results...start gluing in the struts!!!  Again just a thought. 
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 12:40pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Now I know why I never built model sailing ships. Wanted to try and make this R/C, having second thoughts. Got some nasty tweaks in the top wing.

image_345.jpeg (270 KB | 4 )
image_345.jpeg
image_346.jpeg (253 KB | 4 )
image_346.jpeg
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 10:55am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

That is a beautiful collection of parts. But looking at all of those struts give me a headache. I think that it would drive me crazy trying to get them all in place and true at assembly! Hope it works out perfectly for you.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 10:32am

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

What a PAIN! Started at the right tip. Tied strut to strut to keep them place. Moved down to th next two. Two hours later... The wings don't like the twisting. Break time!

image_343.jpeg (230 KB | 5 )
image_343.jpeg
image_344.jpeg (237 KB | 4 )
image_344.jpeg
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 10:20pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Great progress...this is really a major build! Thanks for sharing this one with us!!!

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 2:57pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Fitting struts into their sockets. Now, how to attach the top wing, aligning all the struts at the same time? Why did I pick this as a model? NO COMENT.......

image_342.jpeg (187 KB | 4 )
image_342.jpeg
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print