Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Realistic balsa props for Guillows 1/16 P-51D (Read 170 times)
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2018 at 1:11pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

You might want to review the several prop suggestions here in the Model Airplane Propellers board.  They are mostly for flying prop that will be different than the scale looks you're going for but may give you some ideas.  As for the blades you might want to look at "Iron Mike's boiled and baked" molded ply blades on a can that could be added to a more scale hub.  Click Here
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Dec 26th, 2018 at 9:52am

mbloom   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

I'm a new member, and still a beginner, who has been slowly building the 1/16 Guillows P-51D for static display here and there over many years.

Now I want to finally finish it but want the prop to look as realistic as possible for the scale and materials.  Model Airplane Propellers lists many techniques, many of which I've seen before, but I had trouble adapting the various Can methods and Prop Carving from a rectangular block to the dimensions and profile of a Hamilton Standard blade.

Instead, I tried to freehand carve a non-cuffed blade using a 1/48 plastic blade from Ultracast as a guide onto a glued block of three 1/16" balsa rectangles.  The result, after many tries, is fairly good IMHO, even if it's not a 100% exact replica.  But trying to duplicate this result to the other 3 blades is a nightmare.

Suggestions, tips, or actual directions for translating the Guillows plan's prop profile to a block would be very welcome.  Please help!  Thanks, Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print