Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Guillows Skyraider Rebuild (Read 302 times)
Reply #15 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 8:58pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks Dan and Bob.  Hope to get a chance to fly it maybe this Friday.  We've had some decent days here but they haven't lined up with my availability - seems like if I'm free it's wet or windy...  This Friday is looking promising.

Bob, the Cloud Climbers and Lone Star Squadron are having some meets in May and June at the Hamilton Municipal Airport - pretty close for you Austin folks.  Hope to see you there.

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 11:40am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

93rdLiberator wrote on Feb 27th, 2019 at 12:58am:
Great job, Mike.  I'm glad Calvin is still in there too!

Best shot of a blast tube too so thanks for that!!

Dan

"DITTO"

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 12:58am

93rdLiberator   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Great job, Mike.  I'm glad Calvin is still in there too!

Best shot of a blast tube too so thanks for that!!

Dan

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 10:16am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Bob,

I made a couple new blast tubes (5/8" dia and 1/2" dia) this morning for my smaller models (like the Skyraider) - here's some pics.  I used thinwall rigid aquarium tubing, which you can get in a variety of diameters from Amazon or many other online suppliers.  File a notch at the peg end of the tube so it can slide over the motor peg and be turned to stay in place (direction of the slot matters, as you want the tube to stay on the peg while the rubber is rotating within it, see picture).  Put the tube in the model and latch it on the peg, then cut it to length so that you have enough sticking out the nose to hold onto while installing or removing the tube.

The wire hook is used to feed the unwound motor through the tube prior to inserting the tube in the model, and to hold the wound motor while sliding the tube out of the model.

Mike, thanks for the kind words.  I've kept I think every plan I've built from, both for circumstances like this and in case I ever decide to build another one.  Or just to look at from time to time.  I might be a bit of a hoarder...

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2019 at 12:44pm

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Mike - Beautiful repair and another reason for keeping the plans after the model is completed. I was wondering how many people kept the plans after the build was complete.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2019 at 9:53am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mike, I am very interested in seeing your blast tube application since I have yet to try one.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2019 at 10:41am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks!  Now to make a blast tube that fits through the noseblock so I don't have to make this repair again.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2019 at 11:54pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Good as new! Invisible repair.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2019 at 7:00pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

WoW Mike, your new markings really make her pop!  Great job on the whole squadron! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2019 at 2:33pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

I peeled off all the old bond paper markings and replaced them with printed tissue markings.  I used my typical technique of coloring the back with a white pencil to keep the dark blue from showing through the white markings.

I added the AD-4N cooling scoop and an antenna on top the rear fuselage and replaced the wing cannons to finish off the detailing.  Last step was to replace all the clay and field thrust shims with a wedge of balsa to hold the thrust angle and keep the noseblock firmly fixed during flight.

Empty weight is 24.5g - I didn't weigh it before so I don't really know whether I added or subtracted weight from it.  Right now it is very slightly nose-heavy with no added ballast (and no motor).  The motor should be pretty well centered on the cg with the new peg location, so hopefully very little ballast will be needed.

The group picture shows all the models I worked on this week - they're all back to flight-ready, looking forward to some winter flying sessions.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 9:10pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks guys.  I dug through the tissue drawer and found some Guillows grey tissue (might have been left over from this model, who knows).  Although far from fresh it went on fine, although the patch looks pretty ratty once the dope is on as you can see all the underlying wood and partially-sanded tissue.  No worries, a quick spray of dark blue (from the same bottle used to paint the model when built in 1995).  I'm a preservationist, not a hoarder, thank you very much!

I opened up the rear of the stab slot a bit as I anticipate having to decrease stab incidence.  I ran the tail volume calculations on the model and it looks like I should be able to move the cg back around 1/4" as the model has a fairly generous stab (TVo-.65).  The model always was a bit loopy when flown fast, this should help tame that, as well as reducing downthrust a bit.

In the background you can see evidence of what has turned into a fleet-wide maintenance spree. 

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 10:16am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

That was a lot of damage to overcome. I would have been tempted to rebuild the whole thing. Great repair.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2019 at 11:46pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Nice job on the repair!! She should really perform for you now!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2019 at 10:42pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Neat. AD's were known to take a lot of damage and make it back.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2019 at 10:33pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

This weekend I've taken a break from building a 26" span Wicko GM-1 from plans off Outerzone to do some flying and make various minor repairs on my models. After fixing some damage to the Waco, pulling a broken motor out of the Citabria and patching a leading edge break on the Navion I picked the Skyraider up off the shelf and felt inspired to get it back in the air.

First thing was to pull off the tissue and see what the structure looked like.  The lower left side was fragmented, and didn't look like it could be glued back together resulting in any kind of solid structure.

My solution was to build a crutch for the lower fuselage, glue that in place, then replace the sheeting as required to get a smooth surface for tissue.  While I was in there I moved the peg mount forward one bay, which will pretty much center the motor on the cg and should reduce or eliminate the motor binding up at the rear (which had sometimes been a problem on this model).  It should also offset most of the weight of the repairs by moving the motor weight forward and allowing me to eliminate some noseweight.

I got all the structural work done today.  Once I had things in place I went back and judiciously carved out some of the side sheeting aft of the peg to try to get a bit more weight out of the aft end.  The fuselage feels very solid and there's still a nice bit of structure right where you grab the model for launching.

Mike

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print