Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Second build help with removable wings (Read 117 times)
Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 9:54pm

PT   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Seattle Wash.

Sky9pilot wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 6:46pm:
  I found this picture on the net and looks like this modeler has modified the fuselage side panels. 

Thanks, from that pic, looks like he beefed it up for a motor.
I just glued up the wings tonight, in one piece. I've got a couple other high wing to build, I saved this stuff for then.
Pat

wings.jpg (177 KB | 0 )
wings.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 6:46pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Pat,
Ian's method is the easiest and will allow you to keep the wing as one piece.  Barrowing from my old RC days you could use an aluminum tube with a 1/16" interior diameter that aligns just in front of the spar in the fuselage between the wing panels and using 1/16" music wire, carbon fiber rod, or even bamboo as the main wing mount.  Then use short alignment pins at the leading and trailing edges to keep the incidence.  The snug fit of the wire/carbon fiber/bamboo will keep the wing in place while flying. The wire is glued to the spars using thread and glue at an angle that gives the proper dihedral.   This is more work and is just an alternative.  I haven't built this kit and the plans are only available from Guillows.  I found this picture on the net and looks like this modeler has modified the fuselage side panels.  From what I could see of the plans the kit panels have a balsa strip that goes from the front of the wing to the trailing edge.  If it doesn't I'd add one as I've drawn on the plan.  Again this is just another option.  Myself...I'd go with Ian's plan!! Much easier and also allows you to change the incidence of the wing as you trim her out if needed!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 11:38pm

PT   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Seattle Wash.

pb_guy wrote on Feb 6th, 2019 at 1:44pm:
Well, PT, I waited to see if anyone more qualified could answer your question.
ian

Thank you Ian
I started the bird dog and thought it wouldn't be possible. Looking at that plan, think I'll give it a try.
Pat

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 1:44pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Well, PT, I waited to see if anyone more qualified could answer your question. For an example of a small model with a removable wing and stabilizer, I recommend the Keil Kraft Elf. The plan is available on HPA if you are a member. I have attached a pic of the pdf to show the details. The plan is too large to post here. The elf is a great little flyer. I used this to teach a young man some building techniques. We used bamboo toothpicks for the attachment dowels and rear rubber peg.
ian

KK_elf.JPG (254 KB | 3 )
KK_elf.JPG
IP Logged

Feb 5th, 2019 at 4:22pm

PT   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Seattle Wash.

OK, so I'm hooked, my Hurricane test glide showed promise.
For a second build Guillows L 19 bird dog, high wing, kit 902.  Has any one made a thread on making wings removable? I've searched and come up with folks who already know how to, I'm a poor engineer but can copy  most anything. I've got magnets coming in the mail.
Thanks PT

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print