changing dihedral (Read 4278 times)
Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 4:37pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Again, thanks guys
Jeff has a good point.
Picking my wood is one of many things I have only recently begun doing.
The p40 b is made of hand picked wood. As a relitive newbie, I have to believe that the stronger/heavier wood has its value in surviving the trim stage.
I have never built a dumas kit. Have built many Guillows.  I have been building about 3 yrs now but only static bones. One that hangs from the ceiling is entirely different than one that flys.

It occurs to me that I am long winded. Sorry about that.

thymekiller

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 10:45am

jeff   Offline
Stick & Tissue
greensboro NC

TK nice job...always makes me happy when a build of mine flyies.      John I agree but I think gullows wood is worse than dumes  the cessna I am building does seem heavy    but It seem like it will take a beating while I trim it out      Well   or so I hope Grin   jeff[growermn]

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 12:41am

C.L. Chennault   Offline
Administrator
I love YaBB!
Springfield MO.

Good deal TK Smiley. This stuff is really a lot of fun.

John

What does THIS button do?.........
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 10:23pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Thanks to all for the fine advice. It now flys like its on rails. Had all day to play with it.  I need to work on my launch. The weather was PERFECT. Cant weight to add power. Will have to rebalance , but thats ok. Mite try different amounts of dihedral. Will post in flight section.

Please forgive the ridiculous amout of excitement , but that represents a major leap for me.  Im HOOKED!!!! 

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy        thymekiller       Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 10:26am

C.L. Chennault   Offline
Administrator
I love YaBB!
Springfield MO.

Good Job TK Wink,

I think you will know whether it worked as soon as you give it a toss. I really like the way a low wing looks in flight. Problem I have with the smaller models is weight. But with Guillow's or Dumas kit wood it is hard to avoid. Good luck.

John

What does THIS button do?.........
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 9:28pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Without cover, here it is installed.  I guessI could have done the same thing by slicing out a part of the upper cross pieces, but that would have miss alained the rib to the fuse.  I read where a man did just that to induce washout on a larger wing.  [He did it at the tip.]  I read that it can also be used to create or alter polyhedral.
  I think its a great thing to see as many different ways to do things as possible. Not every way works for everybody , every time. I think its best to have as many tricks in your bag as you can get. 
  PLEASE feel free to comment , good or bad ,on what Iv posted.  I want to learn as much about this as possible. 
  Also, could someone tell me how to post more than one pic at a time?
                                 thymekiller

dihedral6.JPG (79 KB | )
dihedral6.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 9:12pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Then fit the outer pieces in and recover. Im going to work on the styrofoam belly before I do that. I wonder how thin it can be and still survive landing. So far its pretty robust but Im not sure if it weighes little enough compared to stick and tissiue. I thought about building the original just to use the balance beam.
Learning, learning, learning.  I love this stuff.

dihedral5.JPG (71 KB | )
dihedral5.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 9:03pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

This pic shows the new bottom piece. It is only the tinyest bit longer than the old one. With a 16 inch span, 3 or 4 swipes with a sanding stick will change maybe 1/8 or so at the wing tip. Adding 3/8 to each wing tip doesent put to bad of tension on the top ones.  If useing a thicker airfoil or adding much more dihedral perhaps some kind of stress relief might be needed, but for now it seems to be o.k.

dihedral4.JPG (78 KB | )
dihedral4.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 8:50pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Heres the front top of the wing with only the top cross pieces still attached. I leave two pieces in so that the wing halves do not move relitive to each other.

dihedral3.JPG (74 KB | )
dihedral3.JPG

IP Logged

Jun 17th, 2008 at 8:44pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Heres a pic of the bottom. The front of the wing fits under a tab that I glued in. The back is held in with a pin.  I think a magnet in the back would be better.

dihedral1.JPG (95 KB | )
dihedral1.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print