Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Needing help... (Read 7139 times)
Reply #13 - May 17th, 2010 at 3:30pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

I'm with you on over doing it. Fun engineering project, but not really nessary, I dont think.
I was thinking that with rubber, a guy could wind the front motor normally, but on the back prop, hold it steady and wind a "plug" just under the front prop. Kinda like winding the motor from a removeable rear peg. That way you get two motors and each runs on its own power. Again, might be over thinking it. Perhaps a man should build it as a glider first.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #12 - May 17th, 2010 at 9:38am

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

thymekiller wrote on May 17th, 2010 at 6:55am:
It would be an interesting subject, thats for sure. Grin
How would you power that thing? Make the front prop live, and a free wheeler in the rear? Are those booms round? Do you have more pics than are posted?

My thoughts were to go 1/24th scale since the WS on the behemoth was in the vicinity of 83'. A 42" WS would be good for a U/C plane. For rubber a guy may want to consider dropping the scale to 1/48th.

The tractor pusher combo with nitro has me thinking on terms of just a free-wheeling pusher prop for looks or, possible, canniblizing a nitro RC car for the engine and rear axle and making it a live prop shaft that runs through the fuselage but that seems a bit extreme since a .15 thru .35 engine will easily handle a scale model of that WS (42").

The booms were originally round but then fairings were added during the build. Only one was built so that does give a person some leeway in that there were two versions of it "on the boards". The one built was a triple tail affair (single rudder) but there was also a single tail passenger version in the works prior to the crash.

Yeah, I have a couple more photos of it other than what I posted and the ones I posted were scaled down to fit the screen without scrolling. There is one more picture of an advertising flyer that I might get which shows some profile and fuselage views though they are all concept drawings/sketches.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 17th, 2010 at 6:55am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

It would be an interesting subject, thats for sure. Grin
How would you power that thing? Make the front prop live, and a free wheeler in the rear? Are those booms round? Do you have more pics than are posted?

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2010 at 4:57am

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

I'd forgotten I'd posted this topic. LOL!

Yeah, I'm gonna build one. I managed to find and obtain a copy of the Skyways article but was sorely disappointed because there was no "drawing" of the TES in it other than a drawing of the instrument panel that labels each instrument and function. Undecided

I'm thinking I have all the available photos there are so the next step is scaling the thing and putting together a plan. Both my drawing boards are currently loaded with airplanes under repair and rebuild so I have to get a clean board  before I get started on this.

Maybe I should post all the photos and info here then we could do a cookup contest? LOL!

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2010 at 10:55pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Sooo........
Are ya'gonna build one?

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 8:34am

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

I've hit nearly everywhere on the web in search of TES photos and finally scored big time the other day. I got a high res scan (two, actually...one TIF and one JPG) of two pics of the TES and one of them was a full broadside shot! The other was the same pic that seems to be everywhere but in much greater detail.

They're old photos (scanned from negatives) so the contrast and brightness are way off from original so much of the outlining was hard to determine as they stood. Aftyer doinking the contrast and brightness down the edge details came out on the tail section and VOILA! Now I know what the tail section looked like.

It's strange to say the least; it consists of three vertical stabs and one rudder attached to the center vertical stab. The elevator control cables are even stranger in their routing. For "up" elevator there are two cables running back through the booms, up into the outboard vertical stabs and then down and attached to the elevators topside. For "down" elevator (not seen in this photo) there is a control horn on the underside just under the rudder with two cables that run at an angle to the lower boom and then follow inside it forward. It must have been a cable/pulley nightmare inside the fuselage and wing!

After adjusting to obtain the detailed edges I then cropped and placed the tail section back onto the photo as an overlay. Now all I need to do is make the pixel/foot calcs and I'll be able to scale out the various parts to do the build. It won't be perfect but it will be darned close.

Here's the "doctored" pic reduced in size and resolution so it will fit here....

tesdetail.JPG (26 KB | )
tesdetail.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 8:41am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 7:11am

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

Charlieman wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 8:14am:
IIRC, there was an article with photos and scale drawings in an issue of "Skyways" magazine, couple of years back.  Used to have friend with the issue I borrowed. Will try to contact him for more data.

Wondering if you ever got in touch with your friend. I've done all the web stuff I can (to date) and other than ID'ing the issue (July, 1988) of Skyways have struck out finding a copy or anyone with a copy.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 8:18am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Thanks for the story. I love first person stuff. Have you contacted Friends of Bellanca? Dont give up on your search. It would be great to see this come full circle.

thymekiller

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 11:56pm

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

The story...

As a kid growing up in Elgin, Illinois from time to time my grandparents would mention "Poor Dick Peck". They were friends of the Peck family...a family that ran a store in downtown Elgin. Since I wasn't born until 1946 I didn't know much other than Dick was killed in an airplane crash and, every now and then, my father would show me a scrap of blue fabric and tell me that it came from his airplane. My dad also had a chunk of propeller from an Eagle Rock that Wayne King (band leader) broke when he landed at the airfield in Elgin. Interesting stuff, interesting stories but they never really meant anything to me until years later.

We go way back to the late 20's:

My grandparents were renting a farmhouse on the Kelley farm out northwest of Elgin, Illinois. My grandfather worked both on the farm and at the nearby gravel pit where my greatgrandfather also worked. At the same time barnstormers and pilots started using one of the empty fields there because of the proximity of a gas station about 1/4 mile away. The usage of that field multiplied and after a few years (1929) the city decided to turn it into a regular airport. The farm house my grandparents were living in was uprooted and relocated to a different spot on the farm and my grandparents bought a house on the northeast end of Elgin and moved there. Prior to that time they had befriended Dick Peck who would drop in for coffee/whatever whenever he landed at the airfield.

On June 10, 1930 the airfield was officially opened with a huge celebration which included a large showing by the Army Air Corps (I have a couple of photos of that, too). The following year on May 26th, 1931 the "Blue Streak" (Chicago Daily News airplane...the Bellanca TES) crashed near Wheaton, Illinois killing all 4 of the crew members...one of which was Dick Peck. My grandparents loaded up their two kids and drove to the crash site once they heard about it and my dad cut a piece of the wing fabric off the wreckage as a souvenier. On the back of it is written "Dick Peck May 26 1931".

So time passes and the piece of fabric is still in the family. My dad would talk about how ugly that airplane was and I was always curious as to what that sort of "ugly" looked like but never did see a picture of it. My dad passes away and I inherit the broken prop and piece of fabric but, luckily, now there's the WWW and a simple search brings up an actual image of the beast. As soon as I saw it I immediately wanted to build a UC model of it just so it would fly again.

And thereby hangs the tale...

I've had no luck in identifying the Eagle Rock that Wayne King nosed in (landed with the wind) from which I have the propellor piece and he has also passed away so...no way of getting info from him either but the piece of prop will always be around just the same.

Those are the two airplane related items I have....the third item my dad had is no longer "with us". In the 50's two Hellcats were flying maneuvers (dogfighting?) west of Elgin somewhere and they had a midair causing both airplanes to crash in a cornfield. It was a winter day with light snow on the ground when my dad and my uncle took me and my younger cousin Jim to the crash site for a look see. The Air Corps recovery had already gleaned the place over pretty good in the previous days but my dad and uncle decided to sweep the field for anything they might find. My cousin and I went one way...they went another...and us two kids (I was 6 or 7) found this round metal thing sticking up out of the ground about an inch or so. I couldn't move it so I ran and got my dad. He and my uncle used a shovel (people carried those in their cars back then) and after some digging, kicking and yanking....extracted one of the machine guns from a Hellcat!!! The breech was bent badly and some of the rivets on the side were popped so it was basically destroyed. They wrapped it in a car blanket and hauled it off as a trophy. Years later I'm in 6th grade and my buddy and I decided that a great thing to take for show and tell would be that machine gun. So we tied it to my bicycle with clothesline and wheeled it to the school, dragged it down the hall to our classroom and laid it between our desks. It was a spectacular success as a show and tell item...especially considering I got to say the word "hell" without getitng cracked by the teacher. After school we took it back to the garage, rewrapped it in the same car blanket it had resided in for over half a decade and never thought twice about it all. When my dad got home from work and we were sitting eating supper I mentioned the days events at school and my dad about choked to death when he heard the story of taking the gun to school. Supper ended quickly and he had loaded the machine gun into the car and hauled it off to the Elgin City dump...where he buried it somewhere under a pile of trash.

How was I to know it was illegal to possess a .50 caliber machine gun?

Yeah, that's one artifact I don't have....but I know it's still buried out there somewhere.

Here's a pic of the inaugaration of Kelly Field (Elgin Airport) in 1930.

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2009 at 7:54am by Black Lion »  

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 7:09pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Sorry, cant help. Bellanca made over 80 models, not includeing the experimentals. Couldnt find anything on a pusher.
Need to say "thanks". Was big fun looking. Lost all my old links, but now have some new ones. Will try again later.

Have you tryied some of the bigger forums? Their are those who cannot [ will not ] be stumped....
Tell us the story. Where and when. [ begging] Wink

maybe this will help.
http://friendsofbellanca.org/
http://home.earthlink.net/~ralphcooper/pimage70.htm
thymekiller

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 8:14am

Charlieman   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Ft. Bragg   CA

IIRC, there was an article with photos and scale drawings in an issue of "Skyways" magazine, couple of years back.  Used to have friend with the issue I borrowed. Will try to contact him for more data.

Maybe this will help??? http://www.aeroforum.org/

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 6:50am

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

I'm so new I haven't figured out how to get two pics in one posting! Here's the second pic of the TES...

Tess2.JPG (22 KB | )
Tess2.JPG
IP Logged

Oct 26th, 2009 at 6:45am

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

Hi guys,

I'm new here (brand spanking new), have checked all the forum topics and really don't know where to post this other than here.

What I'm looking for are some (or at least one) photos/drawings of a one-up Bellanca TES that I'd really like to build and fly (U/C). It was a one of a kind that crashed back in the 30's and the co-pilot (Richard Peck) was a family friend. It's a long story...not going to bore you with it unless you beg. Wink

Anyway, I have some specs on it (WS, length, etc), the color scheme and an actual piece of the original wing fabric collected at the crash site but have no definitive pic of the tail section. It was a triple-tail (3 vertical stabs) and a tractor-pusher configuration. If any of you have or have seen other pics other than the two common ones on the web I'd sure appreciate help in obtaining copies/scans. It was an ugly airplane...real ugly!

Another project I'm working on is the restoration of a an old Jetco Rearwin Speedster. I need some sort of plan/layout for the cowl, LG pants and wheel fairings. The rest of the plane is there but needs serious rework and recovering.

I'm not a pureblood, dyed-in-the-wool scale model builder and just like to get things close to recognizable. Since I fly these things their life span is shorter than their wigspan in most cases.

I've got other needs for assistance and advice but I'll save those for later. Any help or direction I can get from you folks will be certainly appreciated.

Maybe this place needs a "Looking For..." thread?

Here are the only two pics I have of the TES...

Tess1.JPG (16 KB | )
Tess1.JPG
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print