Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another "stuff" to go... (Read 8085 times)
Reply #12 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 10:59am

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

The only credit I can take for the DR-1 is that...I bought it.

It's an Authentic Models airplane...museum quality and HIGHLY detailed. I think it's a 34" WS but haven't measured it in a while and don't remember. It consists of wire and wood framing but is fabric covered. When I saw it I about fainted. I knew what they sold for so I sprung for the $100 in a heartbeat. It's simply gorgeous!

The airguns are all pellet and BB. Good sized collection of Daisy BB guns and many various manufacturers of pellet guns. Never got into paintball but do need to hit a paintball place someday. I need a refillable CO2 tank for remote source on one of my rifles. I have everything but the tank to finish that baby off. One of my air rifles is capable (I'm not) of same hole consistency....so they say. I've bench shot it and put pellet on pellet a couple of times at 10 meters but normal groups are within 3/8". I'm not Davy Crockett. Velocities on the pellet rifles range from 500 to 1100 fpm and calibers are .177 and .22. Gophers don't come around here no mo'!!!

Here's a pic of the DR-1 from the front. Check out that engine detail!

fokker3A.JPG (82 KB | )
fokker3A.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 7:01am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

The tri=wing is very nice. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is that metal? The finish is fantastic!!! Been wanting to build a couple plastic kits just for the detail.
100 airguns? As in paintball? Thats something else that is on my list for this winter. Several paintball fields around here and I might use it on a couple stray dogs if they dont leave my chickens alone.
I have never restored one, but I have heard that it is tedious. There is a place here for wrecks and repairs. Maybe when you get her to bones you could post a pic or two.

thymekiller

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 7:06pm

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

Here's what the cockpit looks like on the DR-1

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 6:49pm

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

The Speedster is a Jetco kit. Finished cutting the tissue off of it today now it's thinner and sanding time to get the stuck stuff off. I wish I knew a better method but those are the two that have worked. Time consuming though.

Yep, all the old motors run fine. They're 2-stroke and run on methanol, castor oil and some (10%) nitromethane. Back in the day when I was a kid it was cheaper to buy a quart of wood alcohol at the hardware store, a small  bottle of castor oil at the drugstore and just mix it 3:1 methanol to castor. Not as much power as the nitro stuff but ran okay for general flying. For smaller 1/2A engines I'd mix at 4:1 to keep the castor content but nitro fuel works best in the smaller engines.

U/C is fun but it takes two people for the most part. You'll need a launcher to hold the plane for ya unless you use what they call a "stooge". The stooge is normally a rod that slips through the tail skid, is attached with a string that runs out into the circle. You start the plane, go into the circle then pull the string to release the plane. Works okay but then you got that extra string out there. I've got a bunch of RC stuff laying around the place and I'm thinking of building a radio controlled stooge with a servo to pull the rod. The guts for almost any RC remote control toy would probably work...ya know...the stuff that kicks in when you push a button? That'd be the best. Just clip the remote to your belt and punch the button when you're ready.

Tethered RC is okay but pick a calm day. If the plane blows in....now you're full RC until you get back out to the end of the tether. Got any E-flite RC's laying around? Tie a string on it and have at it. Good way to train yourself and you can do it in your yard without witnesses. Just find a spot to attach the string/line where, when you hang the plane from it (attached to the inboard wing) the plane hangs slightly nose heavy. That way it will always fight toward the outside of the circle and keep the tether taught.

The only Comet plan I've needed in the past was for the 54" Taylorcraft. I got a full print off eBay including templates so I'm pretty good to go. What I did have was just the printed sheets.

The guy who asked about the Beatnik prompted me to go check my "warehouse" and I looked for the old box (packrat family, ya know?) for it to see if I still had it. I do. I thought I could offer the plans but they aren't anything more than pics and assembly instructions. However, I also found a Guillows ME-109 kit, a Sterling Tri-Motor kit and a Wright flyer kit. Holy cow! So I dug even deeper and got behind my antique radios....found a Laird Super Solution kit and two others that are stacked under it. Not sure what they are yet. What with all my other hobby stuff (over 100 airguns for example) there's not a lot of room to push stuff around and get to things.

Oh yeah....also found the two Consolidated Stuka kits. One is fairly complete and the other is only partial (missing wing ribs). I had the one without ribs and won the other with ribs off eBay. Now I can trace off the one and complete the other and still have a complete kit in box. I have no idea when I'll get around to that one and I dounbt if it will go UC or anything other than display.

Speaking of non-flying display only.....

EAT YOUR HEART OUT!!!

fokker1A.JPG (57 KB | )
fokker1A.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 5:40pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Control line? I plan to try it next summer. There are advantages to haveing your plane close, and not have to chase it. [ hopefully ] Besides, I like the look of those wide wings that most cl planes seem to have. As a side note, I read a thread about some guys using the tether method. Might give that a try. I love new things and ideas. Knowledge of one almost always helps the other.
Just saw the restorations thread. That speedster looks like it has plenty of wing. Is the stang' a comet kit? I'm sure you told me once, but, well, you know. Embarrassed
Thank you in advance for the t-bolt. Mighty kind of ya'.
My jenny, and others, are currently on hold. Winter is coming and I need to nest up. Fire wood, seal off some rooms, ect. One part of the yearly routine that I look forward to is a major clean up of the building room. For the summer, I tryied building in the den. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but the tv got in the way.  Roll Eyes The wife wants to use the fireplace now and the planes dont seem to like it. The building room has become a "catch all" and it is TRASHED. This year, I will add shelves and maybe some peg board. Makes me mad to have to pay so much for lumber and such, but I guess I will just have to bite the bullet.
Does that old McCoy still run? Whats it run on? I dont know much about those little gassers. I have a couple that I might fire up this winter. Not as old as yours. You have some cool stuff. Please keep those pics coming.
OH, another bit for you. Do you know about the Comet site on yahoo? They have free plans and parts sheets for most of the stuff. Thats where I got mine. All you have to do is register.
I like the way you hang your planes. I'm gonna try that.
thymekiller

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 2:35pm

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

thymekiller wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:09pm:
Well, yea. If you can stand it. 40.00  is a bargain that I will take. Thanks. Will return the favor.

Was just kidding. You're only gonna pay shipping, silly guy.

GOTTA try the mustang !!! What have you to lose? Might be surprised !!!!

I did try it. Read "Restorations"

The hurricane sounds like a "hat dance" to me. Grin I have alot of stuff that I should let go. And someday I will............. Wink

Hat dance!?!?!? See how you are? Perfectly good model that just needs TLC and completion but you wanna do the macarena on it!

Building my Jenny based on the comet plan.

Just saw the thread on your Jenny. You have started it so...forget my Jenny-off comment. could have saved you some trouble though. Parts sheets are still in the box. Tracings, scans....too bad I didn't find this place long ago.

Havent done control line, yet

Why not give it a whirl? (literally)

thymekiller

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 1:47pm

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

Sorry to say that this is about all of the Beatnik I'm willing to part with...a quick pic with it sitting next to the P-40 I'm still working on.

I wish I could have saved the decal on the Beatnik but....

beatnik.JPG (56 KB | )
beatnik.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 12:51pm

RMFF   Offline
Stick & Tissue

Mr Lion,

Would you be willing to part with the "Beatnik"?

RMFF

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 11:38pm

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

Have you started the Jenny yet? Maybe we should have a "Jenny-off". Wouldn't be fair though...I'd be kitting and you'd be scratching.

COPD = Sludge buildup in the intake.

FMLA = Medical Leave of Absence

STD = Short Term Disability

Here's the PT-17 restored. McCoy .29 (original engine from the 50's) on it.

plane5A.JPG (35 KB | )
plane5A.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:09pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

OHMYGAWD !!!!!!
Please dont let it wait too long. NICE plane.!!

Well, yea. If you can stand it. 40.00  is a bargain that I will take. Thanks. Will return the favor.

The nib Hellcat, in the 500 series,  is a fav among the Guillows crowd.
Its the best flyer in the series and maybe you should e-bay it because of its age and box art. Around christmas, it should bring 15 maybe 20 dollars plus shipping. If you are looking to give it away, I can hook you up with a guy  who will be sure to have it built by young folks and I will pay the shipping. [ OUT of country.}

GOTTA try the mustang !!! What have you to lose? Might be surprised !!!!
The hurricane sounds like a "hat dance" to me. Grin I have alot of stuff that I should let go. And someday I will............. Wink

If the finish on the Mullign is how you restore, would LOVE to see more pics. Great work. Shocked
Building my Jenny based on the comet plan.
Havent done control line, yet, but have heard of the fire baby, [ Jim Walker? ] and the ringmaster.

Never saw a p-40 I didnt like.

Sorry about the doctor thing. I dont know what most of that is. If you were a car........ Embarrassed Cry  Cry

thymekiller

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 6:22pm

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

Nice link. Is that your way of saying you'd prefer to pay me $40 for the P-47 kit? Grin

Just kidding. Had a docs appointment today plus a bunch of Met Life junk to deal with (FMLA & STD) due to the pneumonia and COPD I've been dealing with the past few weeks. Bad as it was it did give me web time and I found this place.  I figure fair trade on that. I'll get that kit wrapped up and in the mail tomorrow, hopefully. When it goes I'l let you know how much. My info will be in the package and you can reimburse any way you want except pennies or foreign currency. Wink
I do PayPal, too, so even that would work.

As for the Hurricane...I'd rather it go out as a complete parcel. If there're no takers...then I dunno. The plan sheet has been cut in half so is in two pieces.

Also found a complete, NIB, Hellcat 16.5" WS and my old P-51 with rubber that still winds and doesn't break! Maybe I should take it outside and see if it still flies?

There's a Comet Jenny 30 something WS kit too but I'm gonna build that one right after the Antoinette. Right now I'm working on the P-47N (about done), a Jetco Rearwin Speedster (got a plan), a Berkely or Jetco 54" P-19 (bones...needs covering), a Jetco Waco Cabin (30+ WS) and a 38" P-40. Oh yeah....plus restoring an AJ Fire Baby and a 1/2A Ringmaster Bipe.

Except for the Jenny and theAntoinette all the rest are old planes from the 50's/60's that have been in storage since I went in the service back in 1967. Others that were in storage and have been restored are a Sterling Mr. Mulligan, Sterling PT-17, Ambroid Beatnik, Sterling Eaglet and (my very first UC plane) a Monarch Peter Pan.

Kits on the shelf/back burner are a 54" Curtiss Robin, 54" Comet Taylorcraft, a PT-1, a Veron Bee Bug, a 1/12th P-51 and a 1/12th FW-190. i think there're some more....somewhere.  Wink

All this stuff is UC though. FF and scale stuff just never cut it with me. I've got two gliders 1/2 built and then....there they sit. No desire to even give them a toss or tow.

--- bill

Here's a pic of the restored Mr. Mulligan as it hangs from the ceiling awaiting air time one day. McCoy 19 motor and ready to rock!

plane4A.JPG (57 KB | )
plane4A.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 5:20pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

If nobody else wants it, I will take the plans. You may have noticed I'm a bit of a Guillows guy.
By the way, have you seen this link?
http://www.acsupplyco.com/aerospace/guillows/guillowsmain.htm

thymekiller

IP Logged

Oct 28th, 2009 at 8:54pm

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

Buried in a box (everything seems to be, actually) I dug out another Guillows airplane. It's a Hawker Hurricane, 16.5" WS. It's been pretty much built (fuselage, wing, stab & rudder) but not sanded. A couple of stringers on the wing have been broke near the wingtip but nothing major. The plastic is there (formed) with spinner, scoop, etc but no canopy, prop, rubber or LG. It's just the frame, formed plastic and plan. I'd post a pic but my camera needs batteries charged. Can post tomorrow though if need be.

Anyone interested in this one?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print