Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Koutny Cookup Bf109F  bones (Read 15710 times)
Reply #25 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 11:16am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thymekiller...thanks for the suggestion.  Have done this now.
Can't wait to get some pics of them in the air.

Regard,
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 7:48pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

You should put this one and your BL in the section, "hanger space"
They are very nice.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 1:24pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

One last shot of the 109

Regards,
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 1:22pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Here's another view of the finished 109.

Regards.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 1:16pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Hi All,
Thanks Thyme...for the nice comments.  I appreciate it...always nice to have someone else enjoy your work.

Here's some final work on the Bf109F ... markings all done display prop and spinner done and now just finish the spinner and commerical prop for flying.  Still learning a lot about this rubber powered flying stuff.

Regards,
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 8:24pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Hats off to you, dude. The plane is fantastic. Wonderful detail work. Thanks for posting that here.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 1:14am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Here's another shot Cool

Regards,
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 1:10am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Me again,

You'll notice that this pilot is smaller than the earlier pilot.  He was just a bit too big.  This is Fritz and he's just about right. Even thought this bird turned out heavier than I hoped I just like the way it looks.  I'll add more rubber and try to get her in the air if the weather will ever cooperate.  Been battling a bronchial infection so when I'm fit to fly the weather is raining or too windy or I've been sick....ready for some nice weather. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 12:56am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thyme,
Thanks for the comments and updates...been enjoying the banter over at SFA...just never seem to be able to come up with something clever to say. Grin

Here's the latest on the Bf109F...she is progressing...working on a display prop, three bladed to leave on her while sitting in the hanger.  Look so good.  May continue to see if I can make a flying three blader as well as a two blade commercial prop.  As Duco recommended I ordered a couple of the Ikara props that'll need trimming down to 8 inches.

Need to finish the props and markings. God the panel lines drawn on with marker "Sharpee". 

Regards,
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 12:30am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

I did the same. WONT WORK  !!!!!
The rules say that a fuse must be a certain size, and if you printed your wing at 11 inches, your fuse is too small !!!!!
Comman deal. Lots have done it. I printed mine to a 14 inch span and the fuse is too small.
Go ahead and build to the plans you have. It will fly GREAT !!!
But it will not qualify as an embryo.
Tomorrow I will post links to some threads that will help. Will do so on the Born Loser thread. Wish I had read them sooner, mine doesnt count eighter. Thats fine. Still a great plane, and you can decieve with photos. Sorry, did not mean to say decieve, ment to say, "Do your best"  Wink G0onna start a thread on that also. Too many are being fooled and too few are speaking up.
Please help with my B/l  thread. Thanks for joining in the fray.

btw, that first pic on reply 9 was a great shot.  Cool

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 2:50pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thyme,

thanks for the info and explanation.  I look forward to  putting it into practice.

Saw your Born Loser.  I was checking things out on SFA re: plans and printing the proper size. My plans are apparently too small.  My wing span is just a little over 11 inches.  Suppose to more like 15 inches.  Will have to enlarge things. 

I've already built the bare bones.  May just enlarge the wing.

Regards,
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 12:09am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Thats right. Whats works or not for one man , may or may not work for another. I can only worry about what works for me. 

Here goes.....
Trace your wing outline onto a sheet of news paper. [or whatever]
Cut it out.
Cut a square 1 inch x 1 inch out of the same kind of paper.  
Weigh them both.
Divide the big number by the little number. I use a calculater.

1 square inch weighs 1 gram.
Wing outline weighs 10 grams.
10 divided by 1 = 10     square inches Wink

Your numbers will vary. Keeping it simple.
Next step.

The plane weighs 5 grams
5 divided by 10 = .5    grams per square inch.  Wink
Do you see?

Lets try it backwards.

If you have 50 square inches of wing,
If you want .5 grams per inch,
.5 times 50 = 25    grams of all up weight.  Wink Prop, rubber and everything.

Your plane can weigh 25 grams. More than that, you are getting heavy for a rubber powered plane. Indoor gliders weigh less. Outdoor with a gas motor can weigh more. Bi-planes count both wings. The sweet part of this method is that the shape of the wing has no bearing on the weight of the paper outline. I can figure a wing that is square tipped with parallel edges. Thats easy. one side times the other. Try that with the wing on a spitfire.! !  No way for me. This way does spits, taube, you can even do the letter R if you want to. The planform makes no differance.
I hope this helps. If I can find it, I will post a link to where I got this from. Let me know.
btw, a 16 inch span on a warhawk comes to just over 50 square inches. Just to put things into perspective.  Cool

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 11:38am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thymekiller,
Great to hear from you.  I have always liked the Storch. With the high wing should be a great flyer.  Looking forward to seeing your build.  Can't wait. 

As you can tell, I enjoy building.  It's a form of therapy for me.  Koutny's wing ribs are the secret to his planes.  I found making a form out of plywood and then slicing the top and bottom ribs was easy to do.  Just have to figure out the markings for the bottom ribs.  That was the confusing part for me.  But I like the wing I built on the Bf109f.

Please share the math thing with me for figuring the square inches of the main wing.  Math was never my thing either.  My brother was the math wiz Grin

I'll check out the born loser thread at SFA and will also look into becoming a member of the Angel Squadron. 

Looking forward to seeing more guys building on the Koutny cookup and to see your bird there as well.

Thanks again for the kind remarks.  I've learned over the years that if it doesn't have eternal consequences its not worth argueing over Lips Sealed

Regards,
Tom
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 7:40pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Your welcome. I know that some folks can/want to devote their life to these things, But I cant. Can take it that serious.
That business about the wing tips is true. Mostly, but some fly any way. Even if they are not Guru approved. I am curious about the Koutny airfoil. Someday I may build one with very little dihedral and try it. Just for fun. I noticed on my Guillows planes, they will spiral in without enough dihedral. Took me along time to figure that out. Probly never would have, except for the forums.
Did you know that the rule of thumb for scale ships is .5 grams per square inch of main wing area? .6 will still fly, just not as well. I dont like to chase, so I dont mind a short flight. The heavyer they are, the harder they are to trim and they tend to hit the ground harder, causeing more damage. Ect,Ect, BLah,Blah,Blah. Grin If you want, I can give you a quick and dirty way to figure wing area. I use it because  I cant do "fancy" math.
I tip my hat to you, sir, for the way you handled the whole thing. Very cool !!! Cool Cool
I love the camo. I think your plane looks fine. Will post pics here when I start mine. Decided on the Storch. Have always wanted to do one so I kill two birds with one stone.
Hey, if you want to try something simple and cool looking, Check out the born loser over at sfa. Devil squadron vs Angel squadron. Tinkerbell will grace mine.  Grin Will do a build thread here as I do it. We could use you on the angel squadron.  Cool

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 12:33pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thyme,
Thanks for the kind words... both here and at Hip Pocket Aeronautics.  I've gone overboard with the painting.  gained 30grams with the addition of landing gear and paint and pilot and canopy.  But she's a big model and hopefully with a larger motor (rubber power) she'll get into the air anyway. 60.2 grams weight now.

Here's the latest pic.  I'm not going to strip the tissue and recover as BG suggested at Hip Pocket Aeronautics.  Just build another one later and try for lighter.  Might do a desert scheme on that one.

Regards,
Tom
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print